Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/29/2006, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

Roland,
the 6 inch is 2-2000
the 10 inch is 2-3000 bigger neck
the 12 inch is 3-2000 bigger neck
the larger neck is on the 10 and 12 inch
the 2000 pumps have had the issues worked out.
Wolf,
the 10 inch one is just over 30 inches. There is room to cut the collection cup down to make it fit your application.

The drain lines are glued in.
Old 09/29/2006, 10:42 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Jayson
Rich,
the neck is bigger. It is 4 3/8 not 3.5 anymore. The plumbing has also been enlarged abit as well. These mods have only been done to certain skimmers not all of them.

Which is still WAY too small. The 200 should have about a 5" neck. Those monsters should be up in the 6-8" range.
Old 09/29/2006, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

Yeah Rich, I agree, they seem to have missed the mark with those bigger skimmers. They are getting into “high end" skimmers price range and size skimmers but fall short on the design.

Especially with some new ultra high end skimmers coming out in the US next month. IMO Their smaller skimmers like the nw-200 150-110 are good values, but the big ones seem to fall short.
Old 09/29/2006, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

Who has the bigger SWC skimmers?
Old 09/29/2006, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Got the skimmer home tonight did a 1 hour vinegar run. Flushed out and then filled with saltwater and skimate from my old skimmer. The pics taken 2-3mins after running foam production like crazy blew the top off it and had to shut it off. Going to let it run overnight then rinse and hook up to my system! These skimmers really rock!

I also ran a killa-watt on the 3 pumps total draw 94-99 Watts!

Mods I did was open up all the air intakes and reamed out all the inlets to pumps. Gasket mods done on all 3 pumps.

Old 09/30/2006, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

very nice!!

Im having a problem with my nw110. I installed it two days ago after doing a vinegar bath. It has yet to start skimming. Im not even getting foam. All i get it fizzy water with about 1/8 inch of foam on it. I have it sitting in 8 inches of water. I had the same problem with my ASM Mini. The cup is filled with a tea colored water but only because of the fiz. I would really appreciate any help.
Old 09/30/2006, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

hdtvguy

looks good, 99 watts is good. what did it cost? and how much air are the pumps pulling? Are you going to hook it up to a tank soon to test it? i would like to see where your water level ends up.
Old 09/30/2006, 12:31 PM
Space Cowboy

Mine did the same thing for about a week - even with the vinegar bath it takes a bit for a bacterial slime to build up and coat the inside

now it's skimming pretty well, although I did drill out the air intake to get more air inside the chamber

Quote:
Originally posted by reefinnewb
very nice!!

Im having a problem with my nw110. I installed it two days ago after doing a vinegar bath. It has yet to start skimming. Im not even getting foam. All i get it fizzy water with about 1/8 inch of foam on it. I have it sitting in 8 inches of water. I had the same problem with my ASM Mini. The cup is filled with a tea colored water but only because of the fiz. I would really appreciate any help.
Old 09/30/2006, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

mines in the same place, nasty smell, green tinge, but only because the water level is .5" under the lip of the neck.

guess Ill give it a bit longer, but its been going for 5 days now, no improvement that I can see.

I just cleaned the cup, rinsed the cup a bit, should I not rinse it? just pour out the liquid and be done with it? some of the thicker caked areas around the lip cleaned up nicely, or is that beneficial?
Old 09/30/2006, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

also, how did you get more air? just drill the same inlet and attach a thicker tube; like RO/DI food tubing? or something else?
Old 09/30/2006, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

hdtvguy

is it water tight

what did it cost?
and did you see the cost of the 2 pump 10 inch model
Old 10/01/2006, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
very nice!!

Pour some gunk in to the skimmer from the old that is the trick to get it kick started.
Old 10/01/2006, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland Jacques
hdtvguy

looks good, 99 watts is good. what did it cost? and how much air are the pumps pulling? Are you going to hook it up to a tank soon to test it? i would like to see where your water level ends up.

Yes 99 watts is great I was shocked after testing it! Cost is $900+ not sure how much air it's pulling no way to measure but it is pulling lots! I have it on the tank now setup last night skimmed right away. Will post pics later.
Old 10/01/2006, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by areze
also, how did you get more air? just drill the same inlet and attach a thicker tube; like RO/DI food tubing? or something else?
Bored out the outputs into the skimmer. Enlarged all air drilled holes larger.
Old 10/01/2006, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theduckster
hdtvguy

is it water tight

what did it cost?
and did you see the cost of the 2 pump 10 inch model

Yes it is water tight! 2 pump 10" was $799CDN I think don't quote me on it

Best bet call SWC @ 204-255-9308
Old 10/01/2006, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

well it jumpstarted it alright. Now lets hope it stays like that. By the way, does the air muffler hamper performance at all? Mines not that noisy at all and could take it off without a problem.
Old 10/02/2006, 02:20 AM
Caribe Piranha

I'm sure it has been mentioned in this thread but can you please tell me how deep in the water the 150 NW should be placed?
Old 10/02/2006, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
well it jumpstarted it alright. Now lets hope it stays like that. By the way, does the air muffler hamper performance at all? Mines not that noisy at all and could take it off without a problem.

Yes it does with the killa-watt on when I put the mufflers on the watts went up on the meter! So yes they do restrict the air and make the pumps work harder.
Old 10/02/2006, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hdtvguy
Yes it does with the killa-watt on when I put the mufflers on the watts went up on the meter! So yes they do restrict the air and make the pumps work harder.

Yes air restriction does make your pump work a little harder and it also reduces you air volume. In my tests it seemed to also make the bubbles smaller = better performance IMO. I visually could not see any difference other than the water level rising in the skimmer but I did notice the every time the bubbles would produce a dryer foam faster ( so I came to conclusion must be smaller bubbles). I tested this maybe 20 + times, with the pump operating at different air volumes. After I modded the pump to pull above 20 Scfh the silencer had no more effect/benefit, I had to use a valve to restrict the air a little more to get to the dryer foam again. You might try this and see for yourself if it helps. Reports back are mixed. I think your 12" skimmer and medium/low air volume (Relatively speaking) you can give a better observation than with other skimmers.

But I think if you have your skimmer out where you can observe it essayer you can give some good feedback on this theory. I think it boils down to the resistance causing the venturi to create consistently smaller bubbles. I have not proven this 100% but im fairly convinced of this. If you can try it tell me what you think I would value your finding.

Last edited by Roland Jacques; 10/02/2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10/02/2006, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Messing around last night I put my genx 1500 on it. Man does it go nuts. The only problem is a little too many big bubbles popping in the neck. Im thinking of doing a recirculating mod with the 1500. I believe it works a bit better than the otp 1000. When i install a feed pump, where is the idea place for the pump. Closer to the water surface?
Old 10/02/2006, 12:25 PM
Flowalicious

That big one looks like my NW200.

IE the neck being WAAAAAY too narrow to handle the air. so you have to set the water level way down on the body.
Old 10/02/2006, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

hdtvguy did they put a drain in the larger models?
Old 10/02/2006, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

And Roland there still not in the high end price range when you consider the size. A simular sized deltec is over $3000 versus the $799 CDN.
http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/ap703.php

If I remember reading your tank thread hdtvguy that skimmer should get a work out! Alot of big fish, can't wait to see the skim.
Old 10/02/2006, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but im having problems finding a place to order a NW-200 that isnt on BO and in stock. can someone tell me where i can get one?

thanks in adance

joe
Old 10/02/2006, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Motohead
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but im having problems finding a place to order a NW-200 that isnt on BO and in stock. can someone tell me where i can get one?

thanks in adance

joe
I do not think anyone has any of the NW200 units in, you should start seeing them again in about 3 or 4 weeks.