Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

Sure looks like it to me.
Old 11/29/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

If it's a knock off than it's a bad one
He's not the only one using Dart NW with another skimmer body. I don't think they have any patent on the skimmer body.since the plastic will never work without the Dart than it seems very legal since there are no restrictions for using the Dart
By the way the skimmer is using the old Dart and not the Dart Gold which seems to be stronger
Anyway using the Dart Gold on any skimmer body either it is from REEFlO or other production is win win situation
Old 11/29/2007, 09:54 AM
clownfish fan

Interesting, has a neck wash down that is cool.
Old 11/29/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yitman
If it's a knock off than it's a bad one
How would you know its a bad one? The skimmer does not include the pump so your comments about the "Dart Gold pump" is a bit off. You have the choice of buying whichever you prefer.So since when does the Reeflo have a different pump then the Regular Sequence ORCA? Ive never heard of the "GOLD" series.Where do you find these and what is the difference? I may be interested in buying one for my skimmer.

FWIW the bodies of these skimmers are very solid and well built.Made with Standard size PVC/Acrylic and no metric fittings to deal with.Also made with thicker tubing and Acrylic for the body.Ive seen them in person and have decided to buy a taller body and use the Alita 40 to feed it.He also offers up to a 27" body version which would be sick.The wash down system uses a sprinkler fitting that sprays in a 360 degree pattern along the top of the neck. Pretty cool stuff.

I sound like a salesman right now.Sorry about that guys.I have just seen these in skimmers in person and know for a fact that they are not "A bad knock off". I like these better then the ones built by ORCA (Protein skimmer.com).
Old 11/29/2007, 01:06 PM
clownfish fan

ive read every post on this thread and never heard mention of dart Gold....
Old 11/29/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Reeflo's website lists gold series pumps, but gives no info. Should be interesting.
Registered Member

I know there's some "super" Dart with a different impreller that gives quite a bit more gph and head pressure (like 1000gph more but more electricity)... but that doesn't make a difference if you put a NW in it. As for a "gold" - dunno.

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
ive read every post on this thread and never heard mention of dart Gold....
Ok, For a second I was thinking I was the only one?
Old 11/29/2007, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

This one with dart gold
Old 11/29/2007, 03:45 PM
SWFMAS President

so what are the specs on this "gold" pump?

i wonder if i have the platinum pump .. since i have a baldor motor on mine. ROFL!

QUOTE by deschlayer:
I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did.
Old 11/29/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Why would anyone ever buy that skimmer on ebay? For about the same money I bought a genuine skimmer from Mike @ reefspecialty.com and I know that I get a warranty, assistance in setup, and have a genuin product. I tell you what guys. Buy a knock off purse for your wife if you want to save the money and you have b@llZ. I prefer to keep my b@llz intact and also buy the real thing from a real company.
Old 11/29/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

The real thing? Its a skimmer with a Dart pump,what makes any other skimmer "Not real"? So if thats the case I guess Reeflo is the Fake skimmer since they came out with it after Spazz? So since Reeflo's are made in China and not the US they are the only "REAL THING". hmmm.......so basically you bought a similar product for around the same money and you feel yours is Superior thats Cool!
Old 11/29/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yitman
This one with dart gold
Have a link to this pump? Where did you buy it? Specs?
Old 11/29/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 46bfinGA
The real thing? Its a skimmer with a Dart pump,what makes any other skimmer "Not real"? So if thats the case I guess Reeflo is the Fake skimmer since they came out with it after Spazz? So since Reeflo's are made in China and not the US they are the only "REAL THING". hmmm.......so basically you bought a similar product for around the same money and you feel yours is Superior thats Cool!
A little defensive are we? Reeflo skimmers are not designed anthing like Spas Vocano. Yet this Ebay skimmer look and are designed alot like The reeflo skimmer. A few nice upgrades (neck cleaner, american fittings and cone removal flange) were added but for the same price I can get a whole skimmer, pump, warranty and is tried and true. IMO it looks like a knock off of the reeflo skimmer to me also.
Old 11/29/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

I bought a skimmer that is backed by a manufacturers warranty and I know if I have any issues I can speak to somebody and get assistance. I am not saying the one on ebay is not a quality product. Heck it might even work! But I would not spend 1100 on a skimmer that I had no idea who made it. And it doesent even come with a pump. *You are bidding on the skimmer body. Sequence Orca pump or Sequence Dart with needle wheel/venturi conversion is required for operation.

I play alot of golf. I have buddies who buy generic clubs all of the time. So I got rid of my R7 Tp for some Bang Golf driver. After a month the face cracked while I was in a tournament. I got it replaced and within a week it cracked again. Guy said i was too hard on the head! Too bad I ebayed my R7 tp....I got another one and paid the price.

I bought sump cheap from a guy once. It crazed and was horrible. The guys answer was I could get another one for cost. I have bought countless things in this hobby only to turn around and rebuy it again. I had a ballast catch on fire from PFO. Their customer service was great! When something went wrong I want someone to talk to make it right. If I had any questions that Mike at Reef Specialty could not answer I am sure I wont need a chinese translator to get answers.

Perhaps would feel better about the whole thing if the guy\gal says who made it, what experience they have had in acrylic handling, and who I go to for problems. My water heater flooded and it cost my insurance comapany 29k to replace my wood floors that were less than a year old. I wouldnt risk that with an off brand skimmer that hasn't prototypes being tested in fish stores or hundreds or thousands of satisfied customers. I believe in paying for quality goods and do not wish to be someone's guinea pig.
However, I do prefer diet faygo over regular diet coke!
Old 11/29/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Defensive not really,just curious why he feels like the Reeflo is the "Real thing" and any other skimmer is not?No big deal, I guess you could call this a "knock off" but all skimmers pretty much look the same,so there all knock off's in some respect I guess. The Reeflos are the same as Spazz's Volcano,only difference is they are smaller,Right? I mean you have a box,a Dart NW pump,a skimmer body,a bubble plate,a cone,a neck,and a collection cup.Whats the difference besides the size?
Old 11/29/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

What is the Manufacturers warranty on the Reeflo's out of curiousity?

FWIW,the guy who posted the Ebay ad is the one who built the skimmer.I do know the guy,so thats the only reason why Im a bit defensive and I apologize if thats the way it came across.Not trying to ruffle any feathers here was just curious why you felt the way you did. I mean in the grand scheme of things a skimmer is a skimmer,its your money so you spend it the way you want to.If I didnt know the guy on a personal level then I would probably feel the same way you do.

His standard skimmers are a bit taller then the Reeflo's at 40" total height.The materials are Cast Acrylic and are thicker then you would find on a mass produced skimmer like the Reeflo 250's.That's why the price is up there with the Reeflo's.Cast Acrylic Tubing has gotten so expensive in the past year,its crazy.Ill be sure to post some pics and some better specs on these skimmers in the next couple months once I get mine running.Happy Reefing!

Last edited by 46bfinGA; 11/29/2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11/29/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

we must not be looking at the same skimmer if you don't think this looks just like a spazz skimmer
Old 11/29/2007, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

We're getting a little off topic here, aren't we? Am I not in the Reeflo/Sequence Skimmer Club thread?

46bfinGA start a new thread to promote the sale of your buddies knock off skimmer. -thanks
Old 11/29/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Im not promoting anything,just responding to Reefyguy's post.Thanks

I would have not brought up the skimmer at all if it was not brought to the attention of this thread in the first place.It was brought up and I seem to be the only one here that has seen it in person,so I gave my opinions of it.No big deal. We are all here for the same reason. Dart NW skimmer which is a BEAST
Old 11/30/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

first of all I have been out watching the cowboys packers game and I may have allegedlly had too many newcastles, crown shots, and unfortunately some random girl I was being nice to called me when my wife picked me up to drive me home.
Second of all Woodwrangler, Ed Hocules can rot in hell. The guy is obviously on steroids. I think he is the worst nfl ref ever.
46finga, I hope your buddies skimmer sells. But usually reef equipment doesent sell well on ebay and especially ones that dont carry a brand name. Lastly, (I use that every once in awhile to **** of my college english 201 professor) I don't mean to be a dick but I would have to have some balls to sell that skimmer for 1100.00. Lets call a spade a spade. In business 101 I always was under the impression that when knocking off competitors that have a firm grip on the market that you undercut in price and build marketshare by keeping low overhead while selling similar produts and build value by showing a cost benefit of purchasing a product of equal or greater value. Now although that is a run-on sentence is certainly holds water in any business environment. My suggestion is is to sell those things for 350.00 and hope that enough people buy it to warrant an increase of price. In today's market (all markets) you have to earn greed.......

With that I am going to shut off my cell phone and spoon my wife.....maybe...if she lets me......

gnight
Old 11/30/2007, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

Old 11/30/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

LOL,well said my man. If these skimmers could be built for $350 Im sure the price would be lower on these.Of course its always hard to compete with a product mass produced out of the country,no matter what it is. Oh well, so any information on these Gold Series Dart pumps?
Old 11/30/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

The Golod series pumps are like a dart on steriods. They will be used on the Larger Reeflo skimmer.

ReefyGuy: one too many Pepsis huh?

Any DIYer knows acrylic tubing is not cheap. Tools to do good acrylic work is not cheap. Lets face it stuff made here in the states is not cheap, and that is why everything these days are outsourced to other countries to lower the cost to the consumer to compete with competitors prices. If the reeflo body was made in the US it would cost a whole lot more and wouldn't be as popular as it is.

Any one have any updates on their reeflo skimmers?
Old 11/30/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Yes. Way too many pepsi's. I did wake up and go to the gym this morning. Before I did I was going to erase the post. This is what I get.

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 60 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.

Whiskey, beer, and economics does not mix well. I guess one could say that the law of diminished returns was never crossed while I was at the bar last night.