Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2007, 10:27 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Re: Ballasts for running 6 80w bulbs

Quote:
Originally posted by funnyguyMI
I'm setting up a 180 and would like to run 6 T5s. The retrofit kits that I saw on ReefGeek use two IceCap 660s, but I'd rather not overdrive the bulbs because I've had problems with that in the past. I'd ideally like to run 2 or 3 ballasts. Any advice?

Edit: 6 80w T5s...
Check with reefgeek, he might be able to get you the standard 80 watt ballasts.
Old 10/28/2007, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

I posted this as a thread, but I think this is a better thread for the question.

I have read many good things on here and just wanted to see if someone had some personal experience with this. I am looking to get the 8 bulb t-5 fixture from Tek. My tank is 48x24x18, (18" wide), and the fixture is 19". I was just wondering if anyone had this on a 90 gal and how it was working out. Also do you have it hung, or are you using the mounting legs? Thanks in advance.
Old 10/29/2007, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

Hey Grim!
I'm setting up a 4x39 watt Icecap set-up (reflectors and 660ballast) over a 65 gallon. Will this be enough? I plan on doing some mild SPS towards the top...
If so, what bulbs do you recommend?
Thanks alot!-Adam
Old 10/29/2007, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
If you want it to look the same from both sides the Blue Plus and Aquablue combination is probably the way to go.
So, I should replace the two D&D Actinic + with two ATI Blue +, and keep the D&D Aquablue +? Which bulbs would you reco to be outside?

Also, when it comes time to replace all the bulbs in 12-18 months, would you reco two Aquablue specials and two actinic blue or something else?

Finally, a big thank you for the hours of expertise that you have put into this thread.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:29 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

thanks for the info grim, the current fixture might have been what i saw.... so do you think it would be worth the extra money to upgrade to a Aquatinics TX5? or Retrofit 5bulb Normally driven setup with Icecap reflectors.... thanks.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:54 AM

Front
Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
GE 6500K Daylight
Blue Plus

Should look good and pump out enough PAR to keep the SPS happy.

Quote:
Originally posted by hoyta
Hey Grim!
I'm setting up a 4x39 watt Icecap set-up (reflectors and 660ballast) over a 65 gallon. Will this be enough? I plan on doing some mild SPS towards the top...
If so, what bulbs do you recommend?
Thanks alot!-Adam
Old 10/29/2007, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

hoyta, I'm running 3x39w (on an IceCap 660 - AquaSun, Blue Plus, & AquaBlue) and 2 x24w (Tek - both Blue Plus) over a 65g tank, and it is plenty of light for SPS. I even have some monti digis growing well in the lower half of the tank.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce513
So, I should replace the two D&D Actinic + with two ATI Blue +, and keep the D&D Aquablue +? Which bulbs would you reco to be outside?

Also, when it comes time to replace all the bulbs in 12-18 months, would you reco two Aquablue specials and two actinic blue or something else?

Finally, a big thank you for the hours of expertise that you have put into this thread.
Sorry, I should have said Aquablue and Actinic Plus. Blue Plus is about the same style lamp as the Actinic Plus.

I would try swapping out one of the Aquablues with GE 6500K and see what you think when you replace lamps. Keep the Actinic Plus lamps on the outside.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by erickrm
thanks for the info grim, the current fixture might have been what i saw.... so do you think it would be worth the extra money to upgrade to a Aquatinics TX5? or Retrofit 5bulb Normally driven setup with Icecap reflectors.... thanks.
The TX5 is a nice setup. If you have a canopy a retro is usually the best option though.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

What's the best route to go if I want to start w/ a 2bulb T5 retro and eventually work up to 6 or 8 bulbs.. I don't want 4 ballasts do I? I'd like to keep it to 2 or 3 max... I'd just add the 2 bulb retro to the 4bulb Nova I have and then eventually keep upgrading and getting rid of the Nova

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 10/29/2007, 09:16 AM

That would work. You almost have to jump fro the 2 lamp retro to 6 lamps if you only want to use 2 ballasts. Start with the 2 lamp ballast then add the 4 with the 4 additional retro lamps
Old 10/29/2007, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Ok, I'll probably do that. Any suggestions on which bulbs to add first? The Nova comes with cheap 460nm x 2 and 10k x 2.

Old 10/29/2007, 09:20 AM

Do a UVL Super Actinic and Aquasun. The Current 460's are decent lamps.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Grim... I recenlt switched out one of my GE 6500K for a GE 3000k... I was wondering if the 3000K will encourage algae growth???
Old 10/29/2007, 09:45 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

so i am taking as in yes it would totally be worth the extra cash? right now i am keeping only SPS some zoas, and a few rics. I want to collect exotic SPS and want to make sure they will be getting adequate light. I have a finnex Nano 30G Mtank its 24X18X17 i believe the current fixture is doing good but wondering how much better if worth the extra money would the TX5 be or if maybe i could go with 2 bulb overdriven 430 ballast and 3 more bulbs Normally drive 430 ballast with SLR reflectors and build a hood, would the price difference be worth it or am i good with the Teklight24? if it is worth it, is there a way to run 3 overdriven bulbs? this way i could run 3 over drive in the center and run 2 normals on the outside for the actinics. Thanks grim you are very knowledgeable from what i can see in these many pages!
Old 10/29/2007, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

Hey Grim, thanks for all your help. As a person that knows nothing about lighting other than I know I need it, you're a huge help! Thanks to people like you who spend their time helping others, it makes this hobby just a little easier. Thanks again.

Old 10/29/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

dzeadow, I had a similar demand when switching over to T5's from PCs. Scott from AquariumSpecialty put together a 2x39w retro kit with an IceCap 660 ballast. I was able to start with 2 T5 lamps and could add 2 more whenever I wanted to the 660 ballast. Call Scott and tell him what you need. ReefGeek might do the same. I've bought from both and was pleased by both.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
Grim... I recenlt switched out one of my GE 6500K for a GE 3000k... I was wondering if the 3000K will encourage algae growth???
It shouldn't be an issue as long as your neutrients are in check. Increased infrared from old lamps seems to be the main culprit as far as algae blooms go.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

All of these lamps have less than 3 months use on them so I should be ok then... tank has only been up since mid August.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by erickrm
so i am taking as in yes it would totally be worth the extra cash? right now i am keeping only SPS some zoas, and a few rics. I want to collect exotic SPS and want to make sure they will be getting adequate light. I have a finnex Nano 30G Mtank its 24X18X17 i believe the current fixture is doing good but wondering how much better if worth the extra money would the TX5 be or if maybe i could go with 2 bulb overdriven 430 ballast and 3 more bulbs Normally drive 430 ballast with SLR reflectors and build a hood, would the price difference be worth it or am i good with the Teklight24? if it is worth it, is there a way to run 3 overdriven bulbs? this way i could run 3 over drive in the center and run 2 normals on the outside for the actinics. Thanks grim you are very knowledgeable from what i can see in these many pages!
If the tank is only 17" tall you don't need to overdrive. Just a fixture or retro with good reflectors.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
All of these lamps have less than 3 months use on them so I should be ok then... tank has only been up since mid August.
Lamp wise you should be fine. You will probably see algae blooms once in a while on a young tank but it shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 10/29/2007, 12:44 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

yea i didnt think so, i remember i bleached out all my softies that were in the bottom of my old tank, took a good while for them to come back, thanks man look like i might trade up from my Teklight to a Aquatinics TX5 pretty soon thanks again.
Old 10/29/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Hi Grim-
My LFS owner is stetting up a new frag tank at the store. Her vendor only offers Tek lights and G-man bulbs. She is getting the 8 bulb Tek lamp. She said it will be only LPS,Softes, Zoos, no sps. She wants it not have a yellow look, but still allow growth. I was wondering if you could suggest a bulb combination for her using G-man bulbs.

Thanks.
Old 10/29/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Heya Grim, wondering if you had time to answer yet another "will it be enough" question.

Thinking about lighting my 90g with just T5's. I do want to keep SPS and Clams. Thinking of going with either 8 or 12, 54w bulbs. Would 8 be enough to keep what I want, or would I "have" to go to 12?
Old 10/29/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Bulbs?

Grim,
I am currently running 2 t5s ( super actinc) and 2 vhos (both actinic white) on my tank. It is time for me to replace the vho bulbs and wondered what you would suggest. I was thinking 1 aquasun and 1 super actinic. What do you think.