Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/16/2007, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oct2274
but my coraline has already nearly covered my back wall in two months
WOW, what do you think caused this?
I noticed my 1st spots of coraline coming up after my 3 day period (could be coincidence)but it has not really expanded at all since.

I know everyone says you'll wish you didn't have it after it takes hold, but I would really like to see it grow.
I have the green on my liverock, but I really like the look of the purple on the back glass and powerheads.
Old 05/16/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

i've always had good luck with coraline growing. I just monitor calcium, alk,and magnesium. If you keep those three things in check it grows like wild! My had a good amount on them which I'm sure helps seed the tank.
Old 05/16/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FB
Has anybody with Bubble algae noticed a difference.

Thanks

Now that you mention that, I used to have two or three here and there that I would manually remove, but I haven't had any in a long time.

FB
Old 05/16/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

The eminent UK reefer, David Saxby, has large vats of water under his tank, with no light on them, which he believes have some benificial effect to the condition of the tank, but doesn't know what!

I believe to starve this substantial volume of water, of the ability for water-bourne contaminants to photosynthesise, results in those within this area to "suck" all their nutrients out of the water... and as such, purely by osmosis, there would be less nutrients within the display tank too...

... this seems to me, to be the reason why the MASSIVE water change straight after the 3-day lights-out is so vital... the rocks may be clearer of algae, but the water may not be "purer"

20 pages is getting too big to simply flick back and forth... did anyone post their "before and after" water parameters (before a water change), or has everyone just said "looks clear"?
Old 05/16/2007, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone think that the lights out period might have had anything to do with the coraline starting in my tank?
Again, there was NONE in it prior to the lights out.
(I sit and look for it everyday)
When I turned on the lights those 5 or 6 spots on my back glass and powerheads were the 1st thing I noticed.
I understand that it could be a coincidence, but none of it has expanded since.
Old 05/16/2007, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

zeusfc,
I tested ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, all 0 before and after.
I tested phosphates (non detectable on the Salifert test kit)
My calcium was higher then before but has since went down (maybe due to the water change?) kh/alk were both right where they're suppose to be before and after (all tested w/Salifert).
I had a light bio load for my tank and a lot of chaeto in the fuge where the lights were on 24/7. I don't know if that made a difference or not but I would assume it did.
ph dropped 2/10ths but remained stable, went back up by end of the 1st day with lights back on.
Come to think of it, I really do think my chaeto grew a little faster during this time.
I can't say for sure, but I do remember noticing it.
Maybe it was sucking up the excess nutrients from the algae die off in the display.
Old 05/16/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zeusfc
... did anyone post their "before and after" water parameters (before a water change), or has everyone just said "looks clear"?
I dont remember seeing anyones parameters other than a few PH drops, I noted that ammonia and nitrates were up slightly after lights out.

my ammonia trates and trites have been at 0 every time I tested since after the initial tank cycle, but I don't test but every two or three weeks. All I tested after lights out period was those three, and ammonia was .25 mg/l , nitrate was between 0 and 20 ppm (didn't stay clear, but not as pink as 20 which is the first measurement on my color chart I would estimate prob. 10ppm or less) nitrites btwn 0 and .3 mg/l , sorry for different scales but nitrate is in differnt test kit
Old 05/17/2007, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Has anyone ran without lights for 3 days that had clams?
Old 05/17/2007, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

i have one - and I expected it to show impact in some form either when dark or when the lights came back on before changes in other life - it did not show any notion of being freaked out - however, I did target feed it a bit during the outage when I otherwise don't

Quote:
Originally posted by fishytoo123
Old 05/17/2007, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

do you usually have your lights shining on that back wall - I think I remember that it does not like the brightest of light - so if they were off when they had otherwise seeded - maybe an opporutnity - in three days I have never really observed growth in it - usually pretty slow -

I guess your water parameters were so damn good because of the outage that it could not help itself (kidding)

Quote:
Originally posted by Abynum1
Does anyone think that the lights out period might have had anything to do with the coraline starting in my tank?
Again, there was NONE in it prior to the lights out.
(I sit and look for it everyday)
When I turned on the lights those 5 or 6 spots on my back glass and powerheads were the 1st thing I noticed.
I understand that it could be a coincidence, but none of it has expanded since.
Old 05/17/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

I have used this method before with sucess. I posted my results earlier. I am incorporating this as a part of my husbandry, as we all know that the natural reefs are subject to periods of low light due to storms etc. On this note, it is raining where I live today, so I have turned of my lights for today, I am leaving the window open to get the little bit of light that still comes with the rain. My fish are out and about business as usual.

I voted for this thread too aquabucket. I'm a newbie who does a lot of research and I dont mind experimenting with what I think is a good idea. Its good that people like yourself bring these topics up for people who dont have knowledge and experience in such matters.

To the critics of the thread, thanks for your critism and warnings. Its good to see that this topic is kept in check and that you have posted your reasons for not liking the idea. I've followed this thread right from the start, I took careful notice of the topic so as to understand the benefits, and I have taken notice of what you are trying to achieve as well.

I think with responsible use fo this method, for the right reasons, which is trageting what the thread was started for and with the combination of good husbandry, we should have good sucess, especially with the more results posted.

Again thanks aquabucket for the great idea
Old 05/17/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

I left my lights out for one day and it seems as though my mushrooms have shrunken!?! I think I'll keep my lights on...
Old 05/17/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquabucket
As long as you are not worried about jumpers you might want to uncover the tank to help with O2 exchange.
It's good to be uncovered while the lights are on?? Why is this?
Old 05/17/2007, 06:11 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by tangy2
I left my lights out for one day and it seems as though my mushrooms have shrunken!?! I think I'll keep my lights on...
Mushrooms do that every night when the lights are off. Nothing to worry about. They are pretty tough corals, and often you will find seasoned reefkeepers swearing they'll never put a mushroom in their next upgrade/tank.
Old 05/17/2007, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

I had 3 clams in the tank I tried this on and it didn't seem to affect them at all. No target feeding or much of any ambient light at all. Took care of my cyano.
Old 05/17/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

I got scared! lol
Old 05/17/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

It might be a good time to try feeding it. Elegance corals can be pretty difficult to keep unless you have an Australian species. How long have you had it?

Thank you. I do feed but it does not seem to be responding it is opening but only a little. I knew when I got it that there was a good chance it would not make it and if it does not I will just try again. I love thses corals, this is my first and I have had it almost five months.
Old 05/17/2007, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tangy2
I got scared! lol
I understand!
That reminds me of a scare I got 3 nights ago;
My lights were off in the display and I noticed a strange glow coming from underneath a rock that is loaded with mushrooms.
I was like "what the heck is that?"
There was a little light shining up through the mushrooms causing them all to glow.
I never noticed until they had shrunk down enough after lights out.
After sitting there about 15 mins dumbfounded, I finally figured out what it was.
My pistol shrimp and goby have the opening to their burrow right beside the rock and had dug all the way down to the bottom glass.
The light I saw was the fuge light shining up through the glass and bouncing off the shroons.
It was pretty cool looking but definitely freaked me out at 1st.
Old 05/18/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishytoo123
I have six clams such as deresa,maxima,crocea none of them seem to be stressed during the three day day black out.This method will be part of my routine maintainance from now on.

On a side note,where did we all get the idea that we have to leave the lights on every day.Some will argue it's because are lighting system only emulate a fraction of what the sun emits.Though I agree , when I start seeing unwanted algals and start thinking about water changes and all of the chemicals offered to rid your tank of algals, which will you choose?I will choose the black out any time.In the past that' how I got rid of dinos which I fought for 5 months prior to the black out.
Old 05/18/2007, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

agreeded - on top of that and before the arguement starts about proper husbandry - there are some super experienced reefers who are otherwise mystified by their cyno, etc problems -
and the fraction of sunlight argument does not hold up perfectly because of how quickly the sea loses the brightest light starting at relatively shallow depths below which reside many of the corals, etc we are keeping

I am starting another blackout Tuesday just for preventive maintenance and experiement long term....

....On a side note,where did we all get the idea that we have to leave the lights on every day.Some will argue it's because are lighting system only emulate a fraction of what the sun emits.Though I agree , when I start seeing unwanted algals and start thinking about water changes and all of the chemicals offered to rid your tank of algals, which will you choose?I will choose the black out any time.In the past that' how I got rid of dinos which I fought for 5 months prior to the black out. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 05/18/2007, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

I turned my lights back on yesterday (Thurs.) after a 3 day black out. The sand was cleaner and the corals opened up to their full extent. After reading this thread more closely I have to say that I was not looking for a quick fix to algae (the only algae I have is bubble) just hoping to get rid of some of the diatoms on the sand and see what effect it had on the corals and fish. Everything looks good and I think it might be helpful to add a 2-3 day blackout to monthly maintenance routines.
hand leather
possum wrasse
blue midas blenny
flame angel
still a work in progress!
Old 05/18/2007, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

After reading a few of these posts I think that next time I do this I am going to cover the exterior glass with black cloth. I think Algae can survive on much less light than I ever anticipated.
Old 05/18/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobbyG
I think Algae can survive on much less light than I ever anticipated.
you think?

a trip round any NON tropical coastline will confirm this... shaded regions with very little sunlight will all get heavy algae buildup.

don't forget the algae is taking nutrients from the water too, but yes I agree... the blackout curtain is a really good Idea, as i believe the ambient light definitely made my results poorer... just don't forget to lift it for your daily fish count etc!
Old 05/18/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobbyG
I think Algae can survive on much less light than I ever anticipated.
you think?

a trip round any NON tropical coastline will confirm this... shaded regions with very little sunlight will all get heavy algae buildup.

don't forget the algae is taking nutrients from the water too, but yes I agree... the blackout curtain is a really good Idea, as i believe the ambient light definitely made my results poorer... just don't forget to lift it for your daily fish count etc!
Old 05/19/2007, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

some people were asking about bubble algae. I have had more pieces floating and stuck in the intake screens on my powerheads than usual. May be possible that it weakens its hold on the rock and might be easier to scrape off, if you wanna risk popping it to find out.