Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/03/2007, 01:06 PM
Carpe Noctem

Thanks Aztlan_LA. this happened a few weeks ago and I was able to get a scan done. I also ran a full system scan for viruses and spyware. The few things that I think may be happening is that this all happened after I installed what I thought was a reliable business application for managing finances and inventory. When ever I tried to shut the program down, it would lock up. After I removed it, I would constantly get a lock up when I tried to shut the computer down. Don't remember what the error was, but I know it was with spysweeper. Then the problem got constently worse until it would lock on the windows boot, until finally it wouldn't start at all.

Like I said if I can just get the few items off of it I need, I'm good with a new hard drive or reformat I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 05/03/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Love that occupation line. Is that new? I don't remember!
Old 05/03/2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JTEAGUE
Love that occupation line. Is that new? I don't remember!
good one..I didn't notice that.
Old 05/03/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Guilty until proven innocent! I mean innocent until proven guilty
Old 05/03/2007, 02:09 PM
Carpe Noctem

I typed it in there a few weeks ago... I was going to put something on there about being wired on caffeine and operating a 2500lb vehicle at over 100 mph, but thought that would be in poor taste
Old 05/03/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

If your computer troubles are just corrupted files and not bad hardware you could download ubuntu(or any live boot linux cd) I usually just do this if it is not hardware related. You can get access to the drive and the network to email or file transfer your things you want to save then do the reinstall. A little more tricky but you don't have to buy a second hard drive. PM me if you need more instructions i sure I can find a link to a walkthrough some where.
Old 05/03/2007, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

Subscribed.
Old 05/03/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop
I typed it in there a few weeks ago... I was going to put something on there about being wired on caffeine and operating a 2500lb vehicle at over 100 mph, but thought that would be in poor taste
Not to mention operating a MDT, radio, and other equipment
Old 05/04/2007, 12:10 AM
Carpe Noctem

Well I don't have to worry about the hard drive... It is DEAD!!! Spoke to a buddy of mine and he is doing something to clone the original and installing a new one. He said that I should not loose any data.

So this weekend is back on as tank time Plus my surgery got bumped a week.
Old 05/04/2007, 01:57 AM
TRC Leader

Did you tell us what this surgery is about?
Old 05/04/2007, 09:49 AM
Carpe Noctem

About 2 months ago I hurt my knee again, the one that I would like to take back for a refund! Already had ACL/MCL reconstruction/repair. Now I have to go in and have it scoped and meniscus tissue removed again. Hopefully it's not career ending. Heck they have total knee replacement for 34 year old... right? Cause after this I'll have less than 10% of my meniscus.
Old 05/04/2007, 05:41 PM
Carpe Noctem

OK old puter is back... Had to clone the hd. Once we got it out it had a nice burnt odor to it It litterally spent it's last breath getting data moved to the new drive
Old 05/04/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Cool
1 Yellow Tang, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Cleaner Shrimp,1 Pepppermint Shrimp
Old 05/04/2007, 06:53 PM

I love the smell of burnt HD in the morning...smells like Victory!

I still can't boot the one at my store.
Old 05/04/2007, 07:15 PM
Carpe Noctem

Well I work till midnight today and then we'll see if I have any energy left to work on getting the data to the new puter. Then Once that's done I can get to work on the wetroom and tank.

I'm thinking of getting all the rest of the wires tucked and stuff put away, then the shop needs cleaned again. Then maybe working on the tank some more until the rest of the acrylic comes in. I changed my mind and will be going with 3/8" for the storage vessels, rather than 1/2". Then I'm going to run 1/2" on the sump and fuge with 3/8" baffles. So long story short is that I have to order a few sheets of 3/8" before I can start on that project.
Old 05/04/2007, 08:05 PM
Village Idiot!

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I love the smell of burnt HD in the morning...smells like Victory!

I still can't boot the one at my store.
I you have an identical drive around ( and it must be identical) try sapping the boards between drives, its normally the electronics that go pop unless thedrive was noisy or dropped.

Andy
Old 05/05/2007, 01:42 AM
Premium Member

Love those knee surgery's eh Hop. Had two myself. The meniscus repair is a little worse...no mobility and no weight for awhile. At nearly forty, I'd say I have had a good portion of my body "welded". Damn horses....and everything else I've have done to torture my body. The back was the big thing....tons of harware there!

Glad to here the PC is up again...it was probably time for a new hard drive anyway. Keep us up to date with all...

Kris

"Yeah, and that's why you don't go swimming after you get bit by a shark"
Old 05/05/2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by andyjd
I you have an identical drive around ( and it must be identical) try sapping the boards between drives, its normally the electronics that go pop unless thedrive was noisy or dropped.

Andy
Thanks for the input. It could also just be the CMOS battery...
Old 05/05/2007, 11:33 AM
Carpe Noctem

Of course I got tied up last night until after 3am. Came home and collapsed So I managed to get zero accomplished last night. this morning I was able to get the wireless up and running without a hitch and now I'm getting ready to start moving the old computer stuff out of the tank room. My goal is to have the tank room pretty much cleaned out today and start looking like the sketchup on the previous page. All except the wood floor. I'm not going to install that and get the wainscot done until after the tank is up and running.
Old 05/07/2007, 01:42 AM
Carpe Noctem

I have to say that I am dragging this weekend. I've got just about nothing tank related done I did get the tank room cleaned up and organized. Otherwise I've been spending too much time getting puter stuff taken care of.

Also a buddy and neighbor of mine has got the itch. I already gave him a 110 gallon tank that he put in the wall. It looks very nice! and is a cichlid tank. Well this weekend he called and wound up getting a 125. So he is moving his FW set up to the 125 and I spent a few hours last night going over an equipment list so that he can turn the in-wall 110 into a FOWLR. Kind of exciting now I will actually have one person within a 100 mile radius that has a SW tank

Plus this guy is a computer wiz and has been helping me out quite a bit lately. So between water and tech talk, nothing was accomplished.

I was going to diagram out some plumbing on sketchup, but found out that it doesn't seem to be compatible with vista. So I'm going to have to do it when I have time on the desk top.
Old 05/09/2007, 07:27 PM
Carpe Noctem

Not so good news on the surgery front today Looks like my job description will be changing, the surgery to help me will leave my leg deformed... Oh and I get to be in a cast for months.

I may never get time to build this tank Heck, if this keeps up I'll have to post a thread on how I live in an empty 8' tank on the corner of Main and Pine
Old 05/09/2007, 10:20 PM

We all know it's not that bad dude. Cool house, great wife, killer dog...I would relish some time spent in a cast because I could work on my tank. I thought for sure my brain injury retirement would last, but alas, I am working in our store every friggin' day!
Old 05/09/2007, 10:42 PM
Carpe Noctem

well I'm not going to gripe anymore publicly, so I sent you a PM. Hopefully I'll be able to find a way to work on the tank during my recovery time... Or at least live vicariously through my neighbor's soon to be new set up
Old 05/09/2007, 11:21 PM

Well, what can I say? I was drooling on myself for months before I started my tank. We were lucky that we didn't lose everything. I am back for the most part, but I am not the same. Funny how life takes us in new directions, but I find inspiration in those who change gears and manage to enjoy their lives despite whatever hardship life brings them.

Easy to say, hard to do. I work at it every day. I know you will too.
Old 05/10/2007, 05:21 AM
Registered Member

Stay positive Hop and youll overcome most problems. More importantly youve got a big audience wanting to see this tank finished, so

HURRY UP! ,

Hope your problem isnt to serious that you cant continue to do what you want in life.