Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 02:38 AM
TRC Leader

Very nice plane! I can't believe it is that old, it looks like it is in excellent shape. How do you measure age: flying hours or mileage traveled?
Old 12/17/2007, 03:45 AM
Registered Member

Thanks. It's in really good shape now, I'm hoping to fly it down to the lower 48 in 2009.

Aircraft age is measured in hours not miles. I don't have my logs handy, but my recollection is that mine has about 3500 hours on it. Very low for it's age. But time takes it toll as well, I've replaced a lot of 40 year old plastic parts.

And it's not old, it's CLASSIC!

Phil
Old 12/17/2007, 03:58 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
And it's not old, it's CLASSIC!

Phil
You just tell it that when it starts shaking itself to pieces while you attempt to maintain airspeed and altitude, buddy.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
You just tell it that when it starts shaking itself to pieces while you attempt to maintain airspeed and altitude, buddy.
That's why I'm building a new one.
http://bearhawkpatrol.tripod.com/id1.html

Oh, and the receptionist just handed me a TDS meter.

Phil
Old 12/17/2007, 06:27 PM

wow, it can lift its own weight.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:42 PM
TRC Leader

Phil, that's great. We had a guy that used to be in our area that built planes himself, and leased space to others wanting to do the same. I was really interested in building my own after I found out it wasn't that expensive.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Well, I've got some space I could lease you Marc. I'm sure we could work something out. Maybe you could pay me with reef keeping advice.

So far the plane is on step 1: Finish other projects first!

And, Tap water at work has 201ppm TDS and my jug of DI from home is 000ppm Can't wait to get home and see how bad my tap water there is!

Phil
Old 12/18/2007, 12:47 AM
TRC Leader

After I was done feeding the aiptasia in my tank this evening, I sat back and enjoyed the tank for a bit before the pumps had to be turned back on. The fish were swimming around wondering if I might drop in some food for them.

The Toadstool Leather is easily 16" wide now.

The Purple Tang is what I would consider medium to large, pretty much a mature fish. It should give you a reference for size. Plus the overflow behind the leather is 12" wide.

This little Birdsnest 'colony' is from a bunch of broken frags I brought back from Austin (Thanks greenmako!) in September. I glued them onto one rock, and they are doing well.

This Sarmentosa came from Austin (Thanks Gabriel!) as well. Note: The tiny bit of Purple Milli is still alive.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:48 AM
TRC Leader

My Lawnmower Blenny has been perching on the Maxima's mantle. Pardon the particulates: it's Aiptasia Control blowing around after the pumps were restarted. Think of it as snow, as my reef gets into the spirit of the holidays.

I had a beautiful frag that died some time back, and it left a puddle of SPS DNA. I almost recognize it at this point, but I don't recall its name yet. If you think you know, be sure to post it.

My other Birdsnest frag. It was a boring twig forever, but now that nitrates are down it is growing out.

The Hammer colony is about as big around as a softball now.

These are Fungia Plate babies. The grow in my tank, but never into a full fledged colony. The original baby came from a DFWMAS club member years ago. Maybe I should move these guys into the angled tank to see if they'll turn into something large and recognizable.

Hope you enjoyed it. I need to scrape the back glass and get a better full tank shot.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:59 AM
Girls Rule!

WOW! Amazing photos your tank is so beautiful! =)
Old 12/18/2007, 01:18 AM
Carpe Noctem

Well I have to admit that the little things look great in there... The big things too I can only hope that some of my coral DNA grows as yours did. On my last frags I ordered the monti and the tri-color had little broken tips in the bag from transport and shipping. Since the little tips had PE I threw them in the tank, not knowing where they would land (both were about 1/8 of an inch) and hopefully someday I'll have little guys growing out of the rocks
Old 12/18/2007, 01:30 AM

love that FTS Marc.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Looks awesome. Did you ever end up using the two sealed-off bulkheads in the back for a CL? I can't remember.

Oh, and speaking of the holidays.....I see the green, but where's the "red" in your tank?
Old 12/18/2007, 02:44 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
WOW! Amazing photos your tank is so beautiful! =)
Thanks. Makes you want that 240g now, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop
Well I have to admit that the little things look great in there... The big things too I can only hope that some of my coral DNA grows as yours did. On my last frags I ordered the monti and the tri-color had little broken tips in the bag from transport and shipping. Since the little tips had PE I threw them in the tank, not knowing where they would land (both were about 1/8 of an inch) and hopefully someday I'll have little guys growing out of the rocks
A lil' DNA goes a long way. I never give up on stuff, and watch closely and patiently as it turns into something familiar again. It can be a hobby in itself watching and watching, waiting for it to finally form into a recognizable coral again. And if that piece RTNs, it's twice as painful. If you have specks of coral, be sure to glue them to a small rock, then putty that to your rockwork. Few fraglets survive if they fall down to the sand, because the cleanup crew is constantly sifting and flipping stuff over. Once SPS face down in the sand, they become part of the substrate.

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
love that FTS Marc.
That's because I keep the glass clean. No coralline mess to deal with.

Quote:
Originally posted by wabio
Looks awesome. Did you ever end up using the two sealed-off bulkheads in the back for a CL? I can't remember.

Oh, and speaking of the holidays.....I see the green, but where's the "red" in your tank?
No, they are still not being used. I doubt they will ever be used by me, but one of my Anthias likes to sleep in there.

I saw the most beautiful Flame Angel at my LFS a few days ago. It was the perfect fish, and its color could not have been more vivid. However, I'm resisting the urge to drop a dwarf angel in my reef due to the 50% chance it'll be a nipper. Maybe I'll just hang some Red LEDs over the tank.

Last edited by melev; 12/18/2007 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12/18/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

the tank looks amazing, how long have you had this tank up?
Old 12/18/2007, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Marc- How long have you had that toadstool and how big do you think it was when you first got it? Amazing pics as usual
Old 12/18/2007, 11:53 AM

You are so right about the DNA thing. I find new corals all over my tank.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Looks awsome Marc! I still can't believe that toadstool, that's an amazing sized coral. And your SPS's are showing awsome colors. I'm getting tempted to try some myself.

And I'll second (or is it third now?) the comment on DNA particals. I had a little 1/8" spot a couple months back that's now a 1/2" encrusting monti in my 20 gal.

In the FTS, what's the large coral just left of center about midway up the reef?

Very nice shot of your Lawnmower blennie too, but very different markings from mine. I'll try and get a shot of him for comparison.

Phil
Old 12/18/2007, 01:39 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by mbaychuk
the tank looks amazing, how long have you had this tank up?
It has been up for over 3 years now. Back in August 2004, once the tank was installed I transferred the livestock and liverock from the 29g and the 55g into this system.

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
Marc- How long have you had that toadstool and how big do you think it was when you first got it? Amazing pics as usual
When I got the frag at MACNA 4 years ago, it was a tiny piece, about the size of a dice. It was rubber-banded to a rock.

Once I fly home and got it in the tank, it didn't take long to open up.

The rest is just nature taking its course.

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
You are so right about the DNA thing. I find new corals all over my tank.
Always a bonus.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
Looks awsome Marc! I still can't believe that toadstool, that's an amazing sized coral. And your SPS's are showing awsome colors. I'm getting tempted to try some myself.

And I'll second (or is it third now?) the comment on DNA particals. I had a little 1/8" spot a couple months back that's now a 1/2" encrusting monti in my 20 gal.

In the FTS, what's the large coral just left of center about midway up the reef?

Very nice shot of your Lawnmower blennie too, but very different markings from mine. I'll try and get a shot of him for comparison.

Phil
I think you are referring to the stuff to the left of the white feeding clip. Those are a bunch of Lavendar Frilly mushrooms.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, that's the bunch. Right behind and to the left of the clip. Couldn't see the individual shooms in that pic.

Phil
Old 12/18/2007, 04:00 PM
TRC Leader

Even from above they don't look like individuals.

Old 12/18/2007, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

Dude - that is probably some of the best frillies I have ever seen. That is gorgeous!! How quickly do they reproduce?

Lee
Old 12/18/2007, 04:41 PM
TRC Leader

I'd say they are a slower grower, which is a good thing. They eat up space and like most mushrooms, nothing nearby survives.
Old 12/18/2007, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Awesome pictures, I should have gotten a few photo instructions from you while you were here......
Old 12/18/2007, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

No kidding Marc. If I'd seen that shot from above I'd have guessed it was some kind of star polyp. Hmmm...that said, I think I just saw one at the LFS at lunch.

And Speaking of the LFS, I tested the TDS of the water they sell for $1.99/gal at 52ppm. They seemed to think that was pretty good.

Phil