Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/28/2006, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Well, I got my female bellus and put her in 40 gal. qt for possible ich. She's in there with small blue tang and banner fish. I am using hyposalinity and am three weeks into it with this group of fish.

My question is the bellus stays in the pvc pipe a lot and the others swim around. Is this normal? There's no bullying going on. She seems shy but comes out to eat and is a hearty eater. When I bought her she was swiming around with all the other fish in the tank.

I can't wait to move them into my dispay and hope she gets over her shyness. Has anyone had a similar experience? The lighting is not that bright, and she came from a tank lit with metal halides.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 03/01/2006, 02:48 AM
Tailspot Blenny

they are shy at first, as far as I know. Once she goes to the display and acclimates, she should be better. Again, they're deep water, so the strong lighting takes awhile for them to get used to, more so than other angels.
Old 03/20/2006, 07:28 PM
Tailspot Blenny

bump! we want more pix etc!

I'm still waiting for a LFS near me to stock one =/
Old 03/20/2006, 09:55 PM
Who wants to trade frags?

i have been looking for one for about 3 months now without any success. i can't even find anybody that has gotten one within the last year.anybody have any other places that get them other than marinecenter and atlantisaquarium because they both said they havent had them in a while?
Old 03/21/2006, 02:02 AM
Tailspot Blenny

no idea. talk to your LFS owners, and have them keep an eye out for you when they pickup shipments or collect shipments. say you'lll put down a deposit to show them how serious you are.
Old 03/21/2006, 05:49 AM
Registered Member

I had a hard time finding one too. I ended up buying my friend's because she was picking on one of his other fish. I bought her for $100. What a deal. She's now in my display tank and what a beauty. She's my favorite fish. Sorry I have no camera, but when I can get my hands on one I'll post a pic.

Jana
Old 03/21/2006, 12:46 PM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

I've been looking for a pair for the last 6 months with no luck. Atlantis would have a lone female every now and then but the males seem extremely rare.

If anyone finds a pair, please LMK.
Old 03/21/2006, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Hi Pecan. I've heard from several sources that the males don't live very long and are a lot more delicate than the females. The guy I got the female from that I have had his male die. I don't know why this is, but I keep hearing it, plus they're almost impossible to find.

Jana
Old 03/21/2006, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

I forgot to tell you, I've heard of watanebei pair where you buy two females and keep them together and one of them changes into a male. The logic is that would be for bellus too, but I don't know of it happening with bellus. But then you could have trouble with fighting if your tank is not big enough. My female bellus is very docile and gets along with all the fish in the tank. She seems quite content to be the star attraction of my tank.

Jana
Old 04/08/2006, 11:45 AM
This is my Passion

Hi Bellus lovers. Any more info you can give or pictures? I have one arriving next week.
Old 04/08/2006, 11:48 AM
This is my Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by pecan2phat
I've been looking for a pair for the last 6 months with no luck. Atlantis would have a lone female every now and then but the males seem extremely rare.

If anyone finds a pair, please LMK.
I saw 2 places in my search that had both..but did'nt say they were paired.
Old 04/08/2006, 12:02 PM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Hi waterfaller,

I've been talking to a LFS owner (Aquatic Creations) that participates on our local forum (manhattanreefs.com) and he had a pair of Genicanthus caudovittatus that I passed on so I also asked him if he had access to any pairs of Genicanthus bellus. He told me 2 weeks ago that his wholesaler had a pair and was on hold for him to see if they acclimated well. The pair was left at the wholesalers due to the fish not eating and the male didn't look very healthy after 4 days.
He told me that they are getting in another pair this week so we'll see how they fare.
In the mean time, I had the Genicanthus bug, so I picked up a pair of Genicanthus melanospilos for about a third of the price tag on the Genicanthus caudovittatus pair.
Old 04/08/2006, 12:20 PM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Have you guys had any luck with obtaining this Genicantus species?

Genicanthus personatus male:

Genicanthus personatus female:

They look yummy!!!!
Old 04/08/2006, 01:54 PM
This is my Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by pecan2phat
Have you guys had any luck with obtaining this Genicantus species?

Genicanthus personatus male:

Genicanthus personatus female:

They look yummy!!!!
I thought these were colder water species?
Good luck getting your pair. I am getting mine from Serdar..he says he has had her for 6 weeks and she's eating brine and mysis!
Old 04/08/2006, 09:02 PM
Midnight thread lurker

Genicanthus personatus is endemic to the Hawaiian and Midway Islands. To me knowledge, they are not collected. I think it might be illegal, but I'm not sure.
Old 04/11/2006, 07:24 PM
This is my Passion

Here she is...first few pics!! I got her from Serdar/Phishybusiness..wow what an awesome job he did in shipping!

Old 04/11/2006, 07:55 PM
Tailspot Blenny

looks awesome! I'm jealous!

how's her health? did you put her in a QT? shipping was good? how much was she? is she in with your pipefish? or are they in the fuge?
Old 04/11/2006, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Old 04/11/2006, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

personnatus are not illegal per-say, They are illegal to collect from Midway. I might have a line on them, but we're talking huge $$$$. If any are collected, they are usually pre-sold to Japan.
Old 04/11/2006, 08:17 PM
This is my Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by koden
looks awesome! I'm jealous!

how's her health? did you put her in a QT? shipping was good? how much was she? is she in with your pipefish? or are they in the fuge?
She is in a different tank than the one with the fuge/pipefish. This is my 65 gal. Serdar QT'd her for 6 weeks, and said she was eating mysis and brine. She already ate mysis today. Shipping was phenominal...I have'nt seen any better! Cost was $149... maybe a bit higher than some others I have seen..but he came well recommended to me, and to me it is worth the extra cost. She is gorgeous!
Old 04/11/2006, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

$150 is now common for great specimens of G. bellus, lesser ones go for $120 IMHO. I paid $130 6 months ago for a great one...inflation and demand....
Old 04/11/2006, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

I got mine from a friend for $100. She's beautiful, my favorite fish, gets along well with my community tank and does not bother corals. What an amazing fish!
Old 04/11/2006, 10:58 PM
Tailspot Blenny

$150 isn't a lot, considering that was also shipping.

Awesome that they QT'd for you! I'll look into buying from them too.
Old 04/12/2006, 04:33 AM
Registered Member

wow, i'm surprised at some of the prices bellus are going for. A LFS get pairs in about once a month and gets in female bellus' more regularly. The price on the male and female pair is around $130. Single females range from $45-69. Beautiful fish, I had one for about a year that eventually died from intestinal blockage (didn't realize it until after the fact). I'd love to get another one but I'm not sure the regal and multicolor would tolerate another angel.
Old 04/12/2006, 12:32 PM
Tailspot Blenny

wow that's a sweet price for that fish. where in orange county did you purchase her from? I may fly down there soon and wouldn't mind bringing one back if it clears the security checkpoint.