Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 09:51 AM
Never Satisfied

feed a lot of borneman's recipe (or rod's food) and run a GFO reactor (or dose vodka) with a strong skimmer. otherwise, good Ca-dkh-Mag chemistry and you will have colors (and growth)

baddabing-baddaboom
Old 12/27/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Big E
Corals synthesis the 8 essential aminos on their own......
http://www.biochemj.org/bj/322/bj3220213.htm

"These eight amino acids are valine, isoleucine, leucine, tyrosine, phenylalanine histidine, methionine and lysine. The ability of cnidarians to synthesize these amino acids could be yet another indicator of a separate evolutionary history of the cnidarians from the rest of the Metazoa."

I would venture to say if these commercial AA products carry any of the 8 aminos listed they are useless, as the corals already produce them on their own.

Biosynthesis of 'essential' amino acids by scleractinian corals

Lisa M. FITZGERALD* and Alina M. SZMANT

Conclusions:

In summary, all five species of scleractinian corals tested could synthesize at least 16 of the 20 protein amino acids, eight of which are essential in other Metazoa examined so far. It remains to be determined whether attached or coelenteric bacteria are responsible for some of the synthesis. Even if bacteria are in fact responsible for the synthesis, however, this ®nding is signi®cant from an ecological-unit perspective. If coral gut bacteria or bacterial endosymbionts regularly convert sugars (which reef corals receive from their zooxanthellae) into amino acids, and if corals have access to bacterial products (e.g. digestion of bacteria or bacterial excretion of amino acids into the coelenteron), then in a functional sense corals have a previously unaccounted-for source of protein and amino acids. Despite the apparent ability of corals to synthesize some essential amino acids, rates of amino acid synthesis seem to be greater for those amino acids that are typically non-essential, and slower for those amino acids that are typically essential, with the exception of histidine. The role of synthesis in satisfying metabolic requirements for 'essential' amino acids still needs to be determined.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

Mcaxmaster – Can you comment on this for me?
Old 12/31/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef / aholic
Mcaxmaster – Can you comment on this for me?
It's a very neat study that hasn't received enough follow-up IMHO. What else would you like to know?

Chris

p.s. My one claim to fame is that Alina is my advisor, haha

~ Touched by His noodly appendage ~
Old 01/01/2008, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

I totally agree that fish poop has a very significant effect on color. I cut down on feeding in an attempt to control Majano anemones and the colors of my SPS became less intense over a period of 3-4 weeks. When I resumed my normal feeding pattern, the colors came right back within a couple of weeks. There was no change in lighting or flow during that period.

I have tried many different AA products and I have yet to notice any difference in color or growth. I do not use AA supplements any more, instead I use that money to ensure my fish have a diverse diet.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

So if your not getting good color(pale), and you have great lighting (400watt xm 20k)/great flow/LOW PO4....feeding more is the magic bullet?

The reason I ask is because "finless" and I have a friend who has just entered into the Saltwater world this year, and has easily blown us away with his SPS coloration. Finless and I have pretty much guided him/taught him what he know's with the exception of you guys, so he has basiclly the same setup/routine as us.....

The only major difference between his tank and "ours" is, He has ALL T-5 lighting, and a 3" sand bed. (Finless and I have MH+T-5 lighting and Finlesss has a Barebottom)

Is it just beginners luck or does he have a Blue Thumb?