Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 10:39 AM
clownfish fan

Re: godzirra rampage

Quote:
Originally posted by tizzy
My buddy had one a few months back in a high flow area....seemed very happy there, at least until he woke up one morning to find it had dislodged and tumbled down across the length of the tank leaving a wake of destruction that included a few hundred $ worth of corals, zoos, ricordia, etc.
anybody with one of these in their mixed reef is crazy.
Old 12/13/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Baking Soda and very very hot water will take away the pain, same for lion fish.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

I wont even put it in a species tank, they are worst than pest anemoenes
Old 12/14/2007, 02:00 AM
Geek

I work at an LFS and our solution to near everything is vinegar. If vinegar doesn't fix it, then it is time to call the ambulance pretty much

I'm not very prone to anemone stings unless I'm dealing with something potent like a carpet, and even that after being quickly addressed with the vinegar soak and good hot water wash can quickly stave off what could develop into something more annoying..

However I have been stung and\or gotten corallimorph (mushroom coral) slime into my hands and on one finger on either hand have developed eczema. This isn't like, that tiny rash the size of a pea that breaks out when you have a stressful day, this is my hand popping up in bubbles, bursting and turning raw and red as flesh peals away.

Finally had it identified and am treating it now with Clobetasol propionate (See your doctor or dermatologist if you have something going on with your hands related to your fish tank, there are lots of bacteria and fungii out there that can mess them up and you don't want to risk the opposable thumbs we have been blessed with to open jars and type faster on reef central) in a .05% mixture. I go back next week to learn how to prevent the breakouts from happening but the basic gist of my visit was "you'll probably have this all your life in a varying degree or another"

Please wear gloves as much as possible- I still don't if I'm wiping down tanks or bagging something up at the store, it takes all of 3 seconds even to just pluck out a piece of algae or something. However if you're going to be moving things around, fragging, etc please protect yourself you don't want to have stank hands like I do. I worry about them being pretty when I go into job interviews and meet new people wherever I go. You can avoid this fate
Old 12/15/2007, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

"anybody with one of these in their mixed reef is crazy."

ohhhh...he is
Old 12/15/2007, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

oh crap!!! I think I have this...I looked up several photos and they look just like my anemone. The guy at the fish store said he was called a frilly anemone. I've only had him about 2 weeks and he's already doubled in size and is really pretty. I hand feed him each day and haven't felt a sting yet...thank goodness. Guess I won't be doing that anymore. I'll see if I can get a pic on here to see what you all think.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

here is the photo of the anemone. Let me know what you think http://picasaweb.google.com/reneejm2...07990462212562
Old 12/18/2007, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

anybody?
Old 12/18/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

yes that's a hell's fire anemone alright.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

Yep, that's the dude! Very pretty but watch it! Man I still wish I had mine. And a tank to keep it in. So cool!
Old 12/18/2007, 10:33 PM
clams are your friends.

An LFS near me has been selling a lot of those lately. They are cool looking but no way in hell I'm putting one of those in my tank. I'm content with my pretty BTAs.
Old 12/19/2007, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
They are cool looking but no way in hell I'm putting one of those in my tank. I'm content with my pretty BTAs.
ROFL

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away. ~Unknown

----->Danm My Spel Cheker<---------
Old 12/19/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

My condy stung me a couple times when I was taking it out of my tank. Took me a while to figure it out, but as I was getting in my car to go to the LFS, my middle and ring finger on my left hand was stinging on my palm side, 2nd joint whenever I gripped the steering wheel. When I pressed down on my shifter with my thumb on my right hand, it felt a sting at the tip. As I was driving to the store, my throat felt constricted and scratchy. Was probably having a mild allergic reaction to the bugger. :P
Old 12/30/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

nae'sreef thats a very beautiful anemone. Ive been thinking of buying a BTW in hopes my clarkii will host in it, but im more of a softie guy, would an anemone be a bad idea for a 29g softy? Maybe a condy?

Fish are better than people because people can be untrustworthy and corrupt, Fish are pure :)
Old 12/30/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Is there a site that sells the hell fire.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:11 PM
Where the future begins!

My BTA surprisingly got me really good a couple of days ago to where there's still a mark on my hand. I was trying to move my doughnut coral as an anemone decided to switch from front to back. There was a cut on my hand from my parrot's nails, and the anemone managed to sting me right in the cut. It hurt... bad... soaked some vinegar on it and it's been fine since.

Anemones are nasty boogers...

oh and Snakemanvet, LA had one last week.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/30/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Jokergirl. I will check them out.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

Toygrr,

"nae'sreef thats a very beautiful anemone. Ive been thinking of buying a BTW in hopes my clarkii will host in it, but im more of a softie guy, would an anemone be a bad idea for a 29g softy? Maybe a condy? "

Thanks, it hasn't stung me yet....I hope to keep it that way. Try this link to see which anenome is right for your clarkii http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf I have a hederactis malu (sabae) he's purple and my true percs love 'em. here's a pic http://picasaweb.google.com/reneejm2003/MyTank2. Renee
Old 12/31/2007, 02:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SNAKEMANVET
Is there a site that sells the hell fire.
hahah I can't believe I am creating a hype from the post.

so finally after 3 or so weeks, it finally all heal up leaving just two little scar on my fingers, however it still feel 'wierd' when pressed onto the burnt part. Definitely something not to play with.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nae'sreef
Toygrr,

"nae'sreef thats a very beautiful anemone. Ive been thinking of buying a BTW in hopes my clarkii will host in it, but im more of a softie guy, would an anemone be a bad idea for a 29g softy? Maybe a condy? "

Thanks, it hasn't stung me yet....I hope to keep it that way. Try this link to see which anenome is right for your clarkii http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf I have a hederactis malu (sabae) he's purple and my true percs love 'em. here's a pic http://picasaweb.google.com/reneejm2003/MyTank2. Renee
Oh i love seabae anemones, rather diffucult. My last tank had one and the clarkii loved it. Well if i can keep a ricordia, frospawn, torch, alveopora, and a crocea...i think i might give another Seabae a try :P

Thanks for the Ref's, i appreciate it much! Any specific params i need to worry about with anemones?

Fish are better than people because people can be untrustworthy and corrupt, Fish are pure :)
Old 01/01/2008, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

HI does anyone know how to get rid of them fast? CAuse I got a bunch over the months. They are litterly everywhere: from the base rock of my elegant coral, all over my LR, and etc. I dont watch to touch them and I need something that can clean it fast!
Old 01/05/2008, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Sooo, here is a picture from a crazy person who has one in there mixed reef:

It came in as a hitchiker on my live rock and I first noticed it about 6 months after setting up my tank when it was the size of a quarter. At that time it was ID'd as a Carribean Rock Anemone so I just left it alone to grow. It has never moved, never split, and not eaten any fish. It also hosts my smaller Gold Bar Maroon. This clown feeds the nem before he eats himself, so I never do any direct feeding. It has been in my tank for 2 years now.

Here is a right hand shot of my 75 gallon reef, where the nem lives:

I got hit by it one time, back in December. I ran out of latex gloves and was doing a quick tank cleaning without them. I always try not to touch any of the inhabitants when I do this, although the larger Gold Bar Maroon attacks as soon as the hand goes in. Anyway, I did not know what got me but I felt a really bad stinging, burning, sensation on my right pinky and noticed a whitish clear thing hanging off my finger. I pulled my hand out of the tank and tried to pull it off. That is when the pain increased greatly. First I used white vinegar ..... it helped a tiny bit, but the burning was definitely still there. Then I put my hand under hot running water for as long as I could possibly bear it without boiling my hand ..... this had no noticeable effect. Then I tried urinating on my finger, as nasty as it seems I know it works for jelly stings ..... it helped a teeny bit, but my finger still burned.

After doing all of those immediate remedies, the burning sensation finally went away about 4 hours later. The swelling and bright redness went away after 10 hours, although I cannot say if the redness was all due to the sting or to my treatments.

I think it is a very unusual and cool nem to have that most people will never see. Since getting a positive ID on it I now know to give it all of the respect that it deserves.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

I just saw one of them at a LFS today...very cool nem! however I would NEVER buy or touch ANYTHING for my tank with the word "FIRE" in it.

PS: Hope your hand gets better soon