Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Wisconsin Reef Society (WRS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Well with the Salifert test kit I was holding good number or only a little high on Alk. Ca was 420 and Alk was 200 to 240. Then I did not test for 3 weeks and started testing with an AP test kits. Numbers changes to 200 on Ca and 320 on Alk.

Since I moved up to using 15 tsp per day of Turbo Calk it sems like I'm gaining 10 ppm of Ca per day and loosing about 10 ppm of Alk every 3 days.

things are moving in the right direction only I need to get some Calcium Chloride ice melt as it is much less expensive than the Turbo Calk at the rate I'm using it.

Note 15 tsp per day = 100+ per week or over 500 grams or over a pound per week. Sure I won't always be using this much but still it is cheaper.

Dennis
Old 12/05/2007, 01:08 AM
Big Boy Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by TropTrea
Well with the Salifert test kit I was holding good number or only a little high on Alk. Ca was 420 and Alk was 200 to 240. Then I did not test for 3 weeks and started testing with an AP test kits. Numbers changes to 200 on Ca and 320 on Alk.

Dennis
Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 12/05/2007, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TropTrea

Since I moved up to using 15 tsp per day of Turbo Calk it sems like I'm gaining 10 ppm of Ca per day and loosing about 10 ppm of Alk every 3 days.

things are moving in the right direction only I need to get some Calcium Chloride ice melt as it is much less expensive than the Turbo Calk at the rate I'm using it.

Note 15 tsp per day = 100+ per week or over 500 grams or over a pound per week. Sure I won't always be using this much but still it is cheaper.

Dennis
Why are you so resistant to tell us if you test magnesium or not? I think you've been asked 3 or 4 times now... Anyhow, if you need some Peladow let me know, you can come get some from me while I'm spreading it all over my sidewalk tomorrow
Old 12/06/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

No I do not have a magnesium test kit.

Spent most of last night hitting store after store localy looking for Calcium Cloride. Only found to simular products.

Fire and Ice on the label it is a blend of Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, and Potatsium Chloride. I do not want to add Potaatsium.

Then there was Prestone Ice Melt. It did not list any ingredients but gave a warning about Calcium Chloride being caustic.

Has any one used the Prestone Product? And if you use Peladow where do you purchase it?

Dennis
Old 12/06/2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Read randy'2 two part Thats what I use.Prestone is fine just a little more high on the calcuim i think
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
Old 12/06/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Test Magnesium... you could be chasing your tail by adding all of this Ca without first stabilizing Mag.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:03 AM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

Quote:
Originally posted by Packdog
Sorry if I missed it, but have you tested your Magnesium levels ??

Often times see low Mag as a culpret when reefers have difficulty getting Ca levels to desired and somewhat stable numbers.

Just curius.
Totally agree almost everytime I see a thread like this where turbo calcium does not work it is low magnesium levels. A few time alk is to high.

At the rate he is dumping calcium in he is going to have calcium build up in everything.

Salifert test kits are not what they used to be. I do not know if they have quality control issues but I keep hearing of bad batches. I have tested new kits against old kits and way different readings...
I had used them for years and no issues but I am done with thier Calcium and alk kits...

Dennis test your magnesium before doing anything else.

Dave
Old 12/10/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Well I spend the weekend hitting numerious pat stores picking up test kits. Did not find anyone stocking a magneesium test kit but there are few shops I still need hit.

An interesting thing though on results.
Alkilinity
Aquarium Pharm kit = 240 ppm
Red Sea Kit = 100 ppm
pH
Aquarium Pharm kit = 7.9
Red Sea Kit = 8.2
Calcium
Aquarium Pharm kit = 320
Salifert kit = 440
Red Sea kit = 410

I'm starting to think the Aquarium Pharm kits are the least accurate at this point. Through the past I had not been dosing enough and with the catchup probably did get the calcium in proper range but my lost on the alkilinity and magnesium.

I'm moving to the three part dosing solutions mentioned in the article that someone thankfully refferenced. I put added columns in my spread sheet that give the proper amount I need to add of each solution to get a balance based on four equal dosages to limit sudden changes and keep things moving in the right direction.

As a little side note I had noticed that different individuals or companies reccommend different levels on the chemicals. For example I found recomendations for Calcium at 200 ppm. anything over over 300ppm, and 400 to 420 ppm. Then for Alkilinity recomendations of 100 to 150ppm, 200 ppm, and minimium of 240ppm.

The goals I'm going to be striving to hold are:
Alk 200ppm, Calcium 420ppm, Magnesium 1,200 ppm.

Dennis
Old 12/10/2007, 12:24 PM
Big Boy Pants

I love my calcium reactor. It makes life sooo much easier.

cmas.net
Old 12/10/2007, 04:00 PM
El Jefe de WRS

I second that!!! Now I just need to add some of that granular Mg to mine (KZ and fauna make it) to boost my Mg. My alk is steady at 8.2 dKH, and my Ca at 420ppm, which is good, esp considering my Mg is at 1050!

The other odd thing I found was when I did my iodine test... my iodide levels were right on... .03-.05, yet my iodate levels were nil! 0! Usually, its the other way around. I found this very very odd. I almost wonder if its just a Salifert thing. Wonder if it wouldnt have anything to do with some of my zoas looking rather 'meek' recently.
Old 12/10/2007, 08:57 PM
Big Boy Pants

I have found that my zoos do a lot better with the ALK above 10 dkh. And when I get that zoo eating rabbit fish out of the tank, all will be good. Lucky for me, it has a favorite flavor zoo.

cmas.net
Old 12/11/2007, 03:27 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Could be those little starfish as well... I suppose they do munch on corals.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Well I do have a dosing pump and Kalk reactor on my Xmass list. Now if only one of my Santa Clauses are good to me.

My thoughts are the Kalk rector will add both the Calcium and Alkilinity I need with just a minimal amount of additional dosing required.

As far as my zoo go there looks are mixed. Some of them look fantastic while others are just not opening.
Red Fringe brown centers looks good but spreading very slow.
Green Fringe brown centers looks good but spreading slow
Blue fringe blue/gray centers growing like nuts
Blue fringe red centers just barely opening.

Now if Alk should be at 10dKh then the 200 ppm goal I thinking of holding is probably way to low. I have not heard any shortcomming from having to high of an Alkilinity so perhaps I will push it a little higher.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally posted by Gem Tang Rider
I love my calcium reactor. It makes life sooo much easier.

Old 12/11/2007, 09:52 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Dont go above 12 dKH, at that point, stony corals cant absorb calcium.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:01 AM
Big Boy Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Dont go above 12 dKH, at that point, stony corals cant absorb calcium.
I heard 14dkh before. Now wasn't there a time when the Europa's were having the ALK at 14dkh & calcium at 500ppm?Now I need to do some homework.

cmas.net
Old 12/13/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

There could be a difference here with what type of corals individuals are keeping.

I know one of my old reference books had different recommended Ca llevels for different Corals. I believe it gave 400+ppm for most SPS corals, 100 to 200 ppm for most Softies, and 200 to 300 for most LPS's.

I would think that Alk should be somewhat proportunate to the Calcium level.

Dennis