Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 01:02 AM
Team RC Member

i wouldnt say dont get it. a lot of people like becketts, the one i had worked well but was a power hog and i was constantly cleaning the injectors and adjusting the foam height, definitely not a plug and play kinda of skimmer.

i think the 40rlxt would work better then the ocean runner but the rlxt is not a pressure rated pump. its meant for circulation, you want the 40rlt, trust me there is a difference and it will effect the performance.

im not saying that is a bad skimmer. i know your trying to keep the $ down so a beckett may be the way to go to save some up front cash but your going to have to play with it a little more

------------------------------------------------
Old 12/10/2007, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Ok, sounds good. I am going to use the ocean runner as a return. Still in the market for a skimmer. Becketts are usually cheaper? I don't want a skimmer I am going to constantly be messing with, especially for the money! So what would you suggest? Thanks
Old 12/10/2007, 01:26 AM
Team RC Member

anything for a 350g to 400g tank with a needle/mesh wheel is going to be twice the price(if not more) then that beckett.

whats the highest price your willing to pay for both the skimmer and or pump? right now your about $500 for that skimmer and pump not including shipping

Old 12/10/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

I'd say no more then $500, I'd go used if I have. I can't spend over 500 tho. What are some good skimmers under 5? Beckett or needle wheel?
Old 12/10/2007, 06:00 AM
Team RC Member

im just throwing these out for you to look at. im not saying these are the best price, the best place to get them or the best skimmers

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1015

http://www.everything4saltwater.com/...oducts_id=3032

http://www.protein-skimmer.com/shopp...p=itemlist.asp

http://www.championlighting.com/prod...cat=762&page=1

Old 12/10/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

A lot of these skimmers look so confusing! The octopus needs 3 pumps! That is ridiculous! I think I am more worried about the electrical cost more then anything else. The ones at protein-skimmer.com didn't give much info, guess they are still coming out with most of their skimmers. I don't know if the Pacific Coast is big enough, the regular NW was good to 475g, it's not as efficient as a recir though.
Old 12/10/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

I think I am going to try the "new" Berlin hang on. Supposed to be a big improvement over the last one and That Pet Place has a gift promo on, so with pump it will be about $ 130.00
Old 12/10/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

I don't trust Berlin, everyone says bad things about them. ASM G4x will be about $325, good for 450g, it'll be maxed out on my tank though. Wish TPP carried bigger ASM skimmers.
Old 12/10/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

When I was a sales rep in the industry-'93-01-Berlin's had a bad rep:finicky, expensive, etc. I have had my Amiracle sump skimmer since '93 and very happy. Am searching now and the "new" Berlin hot "turbo" seems ok. No reviews, as it is a totally new prod but "they" say it is 50% more efficient. All the sites sell it for $ 239-252 but That Pet Place has a gift promo and it can be had for $160.00-with the pump-! Of course, if it's crap.....
Old 12/11/2007, 01:50 AM
Team RC Member

50% more efficient over the last model really isn't saying much. the last one was total garbage

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/3733/product.web

looks like the only thing they changed was added a pin wheel. the biggest problem with that skimmer is the dumb "triple pass body" it makes the already small 4" main body really a 1 1/4" main chamber that dumps all the water right under the cone. then the next stage is about 2 1/2"(- the 1 1/4" from the first) and all the bubbles from that one have to pass right where the first exits. and the third dosent do anything for skimming, its all waisted space and just a path for the water to exit the skimmer.

i think you $200 would be better spent on 2 seaclones

Old 12/11/2007, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

Good points. I have no personal experience with the product line and don't remember watching them work either.
Old 12/11/2007, 02:15 AM
DIY Junkie

anyway you look at it a berlin is not enough for a 350 gal tank. Even if they skimmed the salt out of a small tank (LOL) a 4"reaction chamber WILL NOT effectively skim a 350 gal tank.

IMO you need something with AT LEAST a 10"dia reaction chamber. Look at the new Xtreme250 at marinesolutionsinc.com...it is in your budget and will do a good job on your tank. the Xtreme250 is 44LPM (2 sicce meshwheel pumps) into a 10"reaction chamber. Another option is to DIY a skimmer to do what you want.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

I am not interested in the berlin, this post is kinda old. Now that I have a 360g FOWLR (not set up, not for a long time haha) I need to look into some really good skimmers. There isn't a lot of details on the Xtreme250, doesn't say what it's rated to or anything. How did you find out it is 44LPM? I don't really understand the design either? What's with the small chamber above the pump? Little confused on how it works, is it recirulating?

I have considered DIY skimmers, just don't want to attempt something, and have it fail, waste of time and money. What do you think about a 5g bucket skimmer? Think it will handle a 360g FO? Here's a link:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
It is set up as a beckett style skimmer, I'd like it to be a NW recir for easy of use and maintanence. Opinions, thoughts, suggestions? Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

What do you guys think about this?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1269008
Old 12/12/2007, 12:22 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by DamnPepShrimp
I am not interested in the berlin, this post is kinda old. Now that I have a 360g FOWLR (not set up, not for a long time haha) I need to look into some really good skimmers. There isn't a lot of details on the Xtreme250, doesn't say what it's rated to or anything. How did you find out it is 44LPM? I don't really understand the design either? What's with the small chamber above the pump? Little confused on how it works, is it recirulating?

I have considered DIY skimmers, just don't want to attempt something, and have it fail, waste of time and money. What do you think about a 5g bucket skimmer? Think it will handle a 360g FO? Here's a link:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
It is set up as a beckett style skimmer, I'd like it to be a NW recir for easy of use and maintanence. Opinions, thoughts, suggestions? Thanks for everyone's help.
The Xtreme 250 is similiar in style to the ATI BM series skimmers. The Sicce meshwheel pumps on it will pull about 22LMP each (x2=44lpm). just by going from other skimmers the same size with similiar designs and similiar airflow, I would say that it could easily handle a med-heavy bioload 350gal reef. IMO it will work great for a 360g FOWLR

The small chamber above the pumps is a bubble plate (AKA turbulence diffuser) It's purpose is to minimilize the turbulenc ein the reaction chamber. lower turbulence means better skimming...all of the airbubbles aren't being "slammed" into each other knocking the proteins off of them. A short, fat skimmer with a bubble plate will act more like a tall skimmer with the bubbles gently rising ti form a head in the neck. THe Xtreme is not a recirc and can only be run in-sump...the Sicce pumps will get to hot when run external.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Ok, I really like that skimmer, it does seem similar to the BM. Does that have to be in sump as well? So it isn't recirculating? Neither is the BM? I thought the best NW skimmers were recirculating? What is the foot print dimensions? Also I'm a little skeptical about new products, working the bugs out of them. Being its only half the cost of the BM, it kinds worried me on performance?