Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/18/2007, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KW-Reefer
Here is a quick sketch in paint to show my stand plan....

Overall I would like the stand to be 24" or so high and 96" long I think my single studs will be 10" O.C and the same with the 2x6 joists. Construction will be similar to a house foundation with a 2x4 base with 2x4 studs (doubled up on the ends) topped off with a 2x4 cap and then 2x6 rim joist and joists.

Pics are worth a thousand words so here are my Jank paint sketches........LOL

[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/6246Stand2-
med.JPG[/IMG]
If you can make the platform on your stand bigger than the tank it makes it easier to clean because you can stand on it and lean over the tank. I only have a 2' lip and it's hard to use step stools and still reach everything.
Old 05/18/2007, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

@blufyre3

Thanks for the thoughts. I am planing on building an area off the back of the stand to walk about on.........I'm 6'3" so a 1.5' tall walk should do it but this will need to be trial and error I'm sure.

Thanks again for the idea.......

James

--WaltSmith--
Old 05/19/2007, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

It's all trial and error in our addiction. My lights can be raised and then lowered back into place so it makes it easier when cleaning. A stand around the back a little lower than the tank would be great as long as you can still get to everything under the tank also. I have a set of marine steps that work great unless I need to reach the bottom front of the tank. I have to slide across the top acryllic brace (about 12" wide) and lay cross the top to reach. Needless to say I don't do this often and I try not to need to at all. Also, what is going to be under the tank? We used 2 x 6 rather than 2 x 4 on the back and sides so they could be farther apart and give better access to the sump. We still doubled the corners and it sits on 2 x 4's on the front wall.
(viewing side)
Great plan so far, good luck, Mitz
Old 05/20/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Oh i wanna see this!
Old 05/20/2007, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

Here are some Photos of my progress thus far..........Hope you all enjoy.

Tell me your thoughts on the stand and if it looks strong enough.

The Goods

--WaltSmith--
Old 05/20/2007, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

Some of my Plumbing parts that I have thus far

Pair of Dart Pumps

Tank Progress........Waiting on the glue to set for the front beams and then I will add the corner support and euro brace..........Then it's Epoxy time.

As alway comments are welcome. It is easy to fix them now.

Special Thanks go out to my dad for helping with the stand today and to my wife for helping me with the tank shell.............

Thanks for looking....

James

--WaltSmith--
Old 05/20/2007, 11:32 PM
g0t fIsH

very well built, looks good to me but if you could when resize pic's put them at 700 pixels so they will appear much bigger and any details can be view. on another note you might want to look into heavy duty sch 80 bulkhead, I install hayward on mine and work like a champ. the last thing I need on my 600gal is for the bulks to start leaking especially on large projects. will you have anykind of center brace to prevent bowing maybe steel angle line or something similar since the length is 96"?
omg thats awesome getting your wife to help with the projects. its always nice to have loved ones invloved and lend a helping hand.
(red house for 600gal)

Last edited by cbui2; 05/20/2007 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05/21/2007, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

@cbui2

Thanks for the tip on the pics........First time for that one.

The front is going to be aprox 3" thick as I am doubling up a 2x6 and a 2x4 to support the glass and reduce shear force. I will then add a 2x6 across the back and then join the front and back with more 2x4 or 2x6 just have to be sure to leave enough room to get the glass in..............

I know I "should" have got sch80 bulkheads and still probably
will. I have never had the lifegaurd ones leak on me but am not sure I am willing to take that chance. I am having problems locating them in Canada for a reasonable price. Most that I have found are @ plumbing supply houses that only sell @ inflated retail compared to Savko. Problem with me getting them from Savko is that I will be charged a minimum of $35 for UPS Brokerage Fees, then I will have to pay duties of 14% and the the shipping charge itself. I'll keep searching but have the other just in case I can not find them and have backup. So if anyone from Canada knows where I can get sch80 Bulkheads in 2" and 1.5" that would be awesome.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the stand. My Dad was concerned that it will not hold. He then put the hint of doubt in my mind and needed to be re-assured that its all good........Then again I have seen some pretty bad stand designs in my travels and I thought this one was strongly built...........

Have fun all I'm off to do more work.....

James

Almost forgot, It's the wifes fish tank also so I am glad that I can have the opportunity to spend some time with her. We have not seen to much of one another with work and all lately......

--WaltSmith--
Old 05/21/2007, 12:50 PM
g0t fIsH

also how will you be doiing your overflows internal, external or all across the back. i didn't see anything on the bottom of tank or just plywood onto the stand.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 05/22/2007, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

@cbui2

I was going to do external coast to coast but changed my mind and am just going through the back with 4 1.5" bulkheads. Closed loop will feed over the top as will the sump return. I will have 2 2" feeds for the closed loop pump and 1 2" bulkhead in the sump. Last I am going to have a 3/4" bulkhead at the water line to feed my skimmer...........

On a side note I am still working on the epoxy. The guy who was supposed to help and "Know" what he was doing turned out to not know and bailed on me. I will also need to order more epoxy as he used way too much on the bottom and I will need to sand and do three coats there as per East Systems tech info. I am admitting defeat on my timline but the build goes on............
I'm hoping to have all of the glassing done by the weekend.

That's all for now....... I will post more pics tonight when I get home.

James

--WaltSmith--
Old 05/22/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Hey K-W Reefer here is a pic of my 600 gallon plywood tank. Its been up for a year now, doing great too. I'm in Burlington, very close to K-W
If you need advice, let me know

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/photopost...0/IMGP1510.JPG

I have other photos in the AP photo Gallery. Just do a search for my username: Cougarman
Old 05/22/2007, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

@Cougarman

Glad to see others have done this in the area....... I will look for you Gallery @ AP...

Thanks for droping me a line.

James

--WaltSmith--
Old 05/22/2007, 09:13 PM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Originally posted by KW-Reefer
@cbui2

I was going to do external coast to coast but changed my mind and am just going through the back with 4 1.5" bulkheads. Closed loop will feed over the top as will the sump return. I will have 2 2" feeds for the closed loop pump and 1 2" bulkhead in the sump. Last I am going to have a 3/4" bulkhead at the water line to feed my skimmer...........

On a side note I am still working on the epoxy. The guy who was supposed to help and "Know" what he was doing turned out to not know and bailed on me. I will also need to order more epoxy as he used way too much on the bottom and I will need to sand and do three coats there as per East Systems tech info. I am admitting defeat on my timline but the build goes on............
I'm hoping to have all of the glassing done by the weekend.

That's all for now....... I will post more pics tonight when I get home.

James
you can always click on quote for reply to any post. bummer helping hands are good but sometimes not reliable and not only that bailed at the last minute. keep it up and don't skimp on any steps.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 05/22/2007, 10:06 PM
One Millionth Poster

The stand looks great. I'm waiting to see where you go with the tank.
Old 05/25/2007, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Here are some updates. Sorry it took so long but i was busy coating the tank. None of the pictures reflect this but the tank is now coated once over and I will try and get the second coat on this weekend, as said before this coat will be tinted black. We will see what happens.......... What are the feelings on the top side support? I am planing on laminating a 2x6 across the side front to back once the glass is in place, Would that be enough or do I need more support?

Enjoy and comments welcomed as always.

--WaltSmith--
Old 05/25/2007, 12:27 PM
g0t fIsH

even with the 2x6 brace all around and 2x4 behind it, but still nothing in the middle. you have very good support vertical but not horizontal and screws are the only thing that hold it in place. IMO in time bowing will occur since there are no support in the middle or around also keep in mind that this is 600gal @8lbs per gal etc. when i help my friend build his tank 96"Lx48"Wx36"H we had 2x4 every foot around the sides, bottom and one across the middle also fiberglass 3 layer of thick woven mesh on the outsides and bottom for double strength durability and for the inside 4 layers. he ask for help and i told him no problems but get ready to spend more money than expected since i believed in overbuilding. hope this helps and stated opinions only.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 05/25/2007, 10:18 PM
Be the valve.

Hiya James-
Looks like some work getting done. Like Bart said, I think you need lots more horizontal support. The tank, as shown in the latest photos, will bow like crazy.

You might consider some 2x4 or 2x6 on top, all the way around set on the flat side for more strength. Another consideration might be a "Calfo" style overflow to run coast-to-coast. That way, you can keep the tank as you are building it.

Hope these suggestions help and the build progresses smoothly.

Best,

Del
Old 05/25/2007, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

I've seen some plans for tanks built the way your doing it(eg. GARF), but I would suggest for safety reasons to frame the outside in 2 x 4s, similar to a wall frame in your house. I would also reinforce the front panel with 2 x 4s, especially in the middle at the bottom (thats where the greatest pressure is. Then bolt the frameworks together. Unfortunately this may mean you have to expand your stand aswell.

http://www.aquariumpros.ca/photopost...m/IMGP0302.JPG
Old 05/26/2007, 03:26 AM
g0t fIsH

heres another one, hope this helps something similar

http://www.jonolavsakvarium.com/eng_...200litres.html
(red house for 600gal)
Old 05/26/2007, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

Hey guys,

Ok, thanks for all the ideas. I did say that I will be placing 2x6 bracing around the top perimeter. I fail to see why I would need to lag bolt anything together but to each his own. I am aware of the tank posted by cbui2 and thoughthe reason behind all of the bracing was he used 1/2" ply due to the cost of 3/4 in his country. I could be wrong but Fudge and one other built a tank similar to this. As far as the coast to coast over flow how would that make the back less prone to bowing than the 2x6 I have installed now? Please help me paint a picutre in where I will need to add bracing..........Over building is one thing but soon enough it becomes obserd. Kind of like protecting your kids, would you send them to school rolled up in foam because they may trip and fall. At what point is enough enough? All of the joints are "Gorilla glued and screwed, 200 in the tank and bracing now. The corners have 2x2 ripped on 45* and again glued and nailed. I was of the thought that if I added a 2x6 on either to edge and a 2x6 in the center there would be minimal bowing.........

Please enlighten me as to what could do? With the exception of the angle iron I do not see how Del's tank is that much stronger and no one has said anything there.........Just currious that's all. Don't me to sound angry just confused that's all.

Kent do you have anything to add? I know that you have done this and are doing it again......

Thanks

James

--WaltSmith--
Old 05/26/2007, 04:33 PM
Be the valve.

Oops...missed the 2x6 on top. That will help a bunch.

I'm just not comfortable with the joints. You have the 3/4" plywood joint reinforced with 1 1/2" corner supports. That's a pretty good surface area but I'm not sure it will withstand all the pressure of the water. It very well might. Mine is the same as yours on the inside but the outside has a whole other set of 1x4's overlapping the joint from the outside. All told, mine has almost 12" of surface area epoxied and screwed supporting each joint. Overkill??? I hope so.

In terms of supporting the walls with studs (house wall style), I agree. That is probably not necessary unless you go taller than you have.

The Calfo overflow recommendation had nothing to do with support. Just a way of skimming the whole surface of the tank without changing your current design. Just food for thought.

James. No one is beating up your design. You asked for opinions and you are getting them. You need to take the ones you think will help and ignore the rest. Or, just ignore them all. I think your tank will be a work of art. We all just want it to be a strong work of art.

Now, get to work and keep the pictures coming.

Best,
Del
Old 05/26/2007, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Right on Del. Please do not confuse my questions with anything other than confusion and or wanting answers.

So do you feel if I added a 2x6 rim on the outside top and bottom epoxied and screwed into place put our minds at ease?

Keep the comments coming as I need to hear the opinions of others to avoid disaster..............I take words and opinions for what they are and am a hard person to offend.........I took none of the comments in that fashion and was frustrated in not knowing what should be added.

Thanks Del and everyone else...........

I will continue on the inside and await thoughts for the outside and external rim braces..........

On a side note........I ordered more epoxy so I will be coating the outside in resin also....and the black pigment in the resin is working out well.........Just used it on the one part thus far but I think that it will turn out well.

Thanks again

James

--WaltSmith--
Old 05/27/2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

That link that cbui2 posted is what i used to help build my tank. In addition I used 3/4 inch ply. Everything has worked great so far. thats not to say that yours wont. Give your tank design a try. I may have overbuilt as you have suggested. The one problem Ive found with the framing, is most tank apparatus is designed to mount to a 3/4 inch or less thickness. The framework really gets in the way of that. I have to use magnet mounted powerheads instead. Also the several layers of exopy your coating with will probably greatly increase the rigidity of the ply. Also when you think about a glass tank, it's only silicone holding the joints, so you would assume that drywall screws and some bracinc should be suffice.
Old 05/28/2007, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

Cougarman, Those where my thoughts in a way. I looked at fudge's build and some others and they seem to be holding up well. I was going to do a build just like yours but thought that it was way overkill. Not to say that you did wrong it just was not for me. I used 1.5" decking screws and Gorilla glue and can say that stuff is beyond strong. During a test I did by gluing two 2x4's together and hammering the joint apart the wood failed not the glue......Large chunks of wood remained on the opposing piece where the glue had penetrated the wood. Great stuff.

What is the thought on my euro brace design on top. will it suffice?
I have been thinking and all if not most of the pressure will be pushing out on the bottom. The screws are coming up from the bottom into the sides and rear. I did the because a screw holds better in that fashion rather then in a pulling type situation relying on the threads to hold on a small amount of material.

I worked hard in the last two days and have sanded the whole tank
and have a second layer on the one side. Plan is today to get a second coat on the other side and the back. That should be good for about 4 hrs work and then if time allows I will do the bottom. I need to get the glassing on the inside done so I can order my glass as I believe that they said it will take two weeks.

Thats all for now guys. Off to do some tank work.....

James

--WaltSmith--
Old 06/06/2007, 10:17 PM
Be the valve.

So, how is the build going?