Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Workbench

Here you go. It is one from the New Yankee Workshop. Just shortened 6" to fit the space. Lots of storage space.

Old 01/10/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Love the way the saw has its stock cut shelf above the counter. Put a bunch of wood on bottom and you can make repeat cuts up top.

I left a pocket on my countertop next to my radial arm saw to make a router top, a cut off (metal saw) top and my miter saw top. When I make thier holders I'll make the table height on them the same and be able to swap them out in a jiffy. They will fit in slots under the counter and be ready to pull out when I need them.

Nice counter Cannarella

Lets see some more.
Mike
Old 01/10/2007, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

My work bench is made of 2" 1/4" thick angle for a frame. The top is 1/2" thick steel and is 4'x8'. I had to build it in place. The reason for it being so heavy is I weld on it and bang it has a pipe vise bolted to it and a round barrel vice bolted on as well there are holes drilled in it to bolt a chop saw to it. It is over kill big time but then again so is the 300lb anvil.
Old 01/10/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

DAMN these work benchs are bigger then my whole house lol
Old 01/10/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

To cold to go take a photo. Heres a link to mine.
http://www.woodcraft.com/images/Family/web5399.jpg

Don
Old 01/11/2007, 09:54 AM
Delaware Valley Reef Club

here is a pic of my frag bench. I dont have any pics of my workbench right now

Prop&Save!
...Sure don't know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure...
Old 01/11/2007, 10:05 AM
Fart? me? No,,,

This is my Old one,

crack
55g Drums
Old 01/11/2007, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tanya72806
DAMN these work benchs are bigger then my whole house lol
You but you have nicer (more expensive by far too) equipment than most of us...

Umm bubble kings and dialyseas and blah blah blah....
Old 01/11/2007, 03:47 PM
Byte mechanic

I see a lot of you have put your mitersaws (and RAS) between benches. Do you use them that much? My mitersaw lives on the floor...

MinibowMatt, I like your frag bench! I just use a folding table (which I realized I basically wrecked by leaving a 10g quarantine tank on it, the splashed/spilled water wrinkled up the fake wood top veneer).

Keep the pics coming!

V
Old 01/11/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

It is very convenient when you need something cut quick. It is setup and ready to go. Just walk over and cut. My next project is running pipe for my dust collector. That is the one thing I need most at the mitersaw.
Old 01/11/2007, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

who is going to build your cyclonic separator?
Old 01/11/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

No cyclone for now. I have a pretty good set of shaker bags.

I plan on doing a 6" trunk. I don't know if I will use PVC or metal HVAC duct work yet.

Have you see Bill Pentz's site? http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

Good stuff there.
Old 01/11/2007, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Yeah... I was going to suggest that as a link... not for the easily distracted There is days worth of reading there.

Old 01/11/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

I regard his findings as dust seperation law. I hope that page never goes down. There is sooooooo much information on it.

Good thing we think alike.
Old 01/11/2007, 04:52 PM
Fart? me? No,,,

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincerama2
I see a lot of you have put your mitersaws (and RAS) between benches. Do you use them that much? My mitersaw lives on the floor...

MinibowMatt, I like your frag bench! I just use a folding table (which I realized I basically wrecked by leaving a 10g quarantine tank on it, the splashed/spilled water wrinkled up the fake wood top veneer).

Keep the pics coming!

V
Oh,,, I love it, in fact when I build my new garage, I am going to put two into it, and one will be removable
crack
55g Drums
Old 01/11/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

lol yeah well bean there my workHORSES lol
Old 01/11/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

One workbench I have is topped with a Stainless Steel counter top I picked up from work (they were throwing it out) The piece I got is 8' long and about 30" deep with a 4 inch backsplash. The sad part is they had cut the original piece in half (it was 16' long!!!!)
Old 01/11/2007, 07:26 PM
Delaware Valley Reef Club

Thanx Vincerama

That is a piece of maple workbench about 16X30, with a folding wing. I cut the wing to let me sit a large tupperware bowl into it. I can keep all my frags in water while/until I am working on them. Its very handy to have the magnifying light too.

Prop&Save!
...Sure don't know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure...
Old 01/11/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

heres a couple pics of my garage, I spend alot of time in there. My only complaint is that theres only 2 outlets and they are both on the back wall.... Cords run everywhere haha. I do alot of acrylic work out of there.

I also worked with wood for the first time ever and built a 4'x8' worktable. It came out great, i was really worried. I jumped up and down in the middle of it just to test it out, sure enough didnt even budge. Im so proud of myself!! One thing i learned about wood, you can drop it and its ok, dont ask how i found that one out haha

Old 01/11/2007, 11:56 PM
Premium Member

hehe a panel saw...

I drew up plans for one 12 years ago but never got around to building it (no room). Is that the Delta jointer? How do you like it?
Old 01/12/2007, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

for the panel saw, if i had it to do over again, id probably build my own. I expected more to be honest, theres nothing complicated about the thing.

Yes its a delta jointer, it works pretty good, no excessive vibrations, but it does weigh about 180lbs haha. My biggest complaint is that the adjustable wall that stands erect on the back is just way to small, tall pieces can sometimes be hard to hold flat to it.

Oh yeah and never buy a craftsman table saw... I didnt know at the time but, what craftsman makes isnt compatible with any other stuff... It has a router table and only works with craftsman routers..no thanks. The Saw blade in that thing cost as much as I paid for the entire saw setup and the its falling apart.
Old 01/12/2007, 12:20 AM
Premium Member

Yeah adding an aftermarket fence to any proprietary saw is nearly impossible. I stop people in the store all the time and warn them about stuff like that.

I have an older crapsman saw and have added an excalibur fence, linkbelt and machines pulleys, custom castered stand and extension tables, trunion adjusters, etc. It performs like a unisaw... well almost.
Old 01/12/2007, 12:49 AM
Byte mechanic

I was offered a used Powermatic 64A. I'd have snapped it up a year ago, but I already bought a (admittedly less powerful) Ryobi BT3100. Yes, yes, I know the 64A is 8 times better, but I can't "justify" buying another saw (The cost of the Ryobi and the used 64A would be the same as buying a brand new 64A) and I have no means to transport the 64A either. Too bad, it was a pretty good deal!

But back to work benches....Since my large (quick release, add your own wooden faces) vise will not fit my (current!) bench, I popped by Woodcraft after work today and picked up a "Groz" 8 inch woodworking vise. They were $30 off the regular price! The only "bummer" is that it has a "special PLASTIC dog". But I guess if the dog breaks, I can easily replace it. Now to haul it to the workshop and see if it fits! See how clever I am? I didn't even measure my bench overhang before yet again buying a vise...

V
Old 01/12/2007, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

I just got one of those "quick release add your own faces" vices from a local discount store for xmas. I asked for a woodworkers vice... I dreamed of the $600 model from woodcraft. I got the $50 model from the discount store. I am VERY curious to see how well it works out! Other than a lot of pitting in the chrome slides, it looks to be just fine.
Old 01/12/2007, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

Ohh and I got a 5" machinest vice too! I may put em side by side and let them battle it out.