Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2006, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

Test on a small pump...
I had built a small bodied (relative term) skimmer for a friend that wanted to drive it with a Dolphin 900. Skimmer ~28" of 6" dia. 22" of that as body and cone with the remainder in 2 1/2" neck/cup. Less than stellar IMO (OK It needed hit with a stick) but it pleased the guy while I thought it was barely adequate. With the modded beckett, as with the other pumps, I had to drop the water level 3-4" to keep it from filling the cup. Much, much better - It looked like and unmodded beckett on a mag12 or the pictures that some members have post of DIY 6" skimmers driven with the OR 2700. As soon as I find one, I want to try something like a mag7 or something similar. I think that around that flow, I will have to do some modding on the interior piece to get the needed pressure differential to function correctly or vary hole size or number. I think I can build a downsized beckett fairly easily but that is something to play with later...along with varying number of holes and size.

Like the Enron 2006 trial? You'll love the sequel - Exxon trial 2009!
Old 10/26/2006, 11:09 AM
Just a member

Did you happen to notice if this reduces the "burp" kind of bubbles any?

I see our experiences are similar btw
Old 10/26/2006, 11:18 AM
Proud father!

I just so happen to have a spare beckett kicking around.
I run a single beckett in my 54" tall 6" diameter bodied skimmer. I'm driving this thing with a PCX-70 right now.

I will have to give this a shot. I'll make sure to post before and after pics.

Tyler
Old 10/26/2006, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

pennilessreefer - none of the ones that I have built have had a burping problem. Possibly, the lowering of the water level neccessary with the mod might get the problem area in the skimmer above the waterline which should/might help the problem.

tgunn - thanks! If you can, note the foam/water line before and after.

Old 10/26/2006, 11:31 AM

Tyler,

I really enjoyed checking out your web site. Lots of cool stuff and great planning.
Old 10/26/2006, 11:43 AM
Just a member

Yes, I'm hoping this can somewhat alleviate the tradeoff between running more air and getting "the burps"

I don't know if it's me just sort of being OCD or something, but I want to see bubbles all the way up the chamber, and not just swirling in the bottom 2/3. I actually feel that on my MR2, the air/water mixture needs to be increased and overall flow decreased; but not at the expense of disrupting the head. I think that this can only be accomplished by focusing on the beckett itself, like you have done here.

I actually ordered 2 new becketts off of ebay to try this out.

Additionally, I have a Iwaki md-30rZt (high head) that I want to try swapping the pcx55 out with.
Old 10/26/2006, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

I just drilled 40 1/16 holes in the beckett I'll test. Based on a "blow" test of this one and an unmodded becket I'm guessing you might need as much or more than 50 holes to get the same airflow.

I drilled from iside to outside. When you do it this way there's more visible are to play with.

Unfotunately I've got to wait 24 hrs for some silicone on mine to dry to see the results.
Old 10/26/2006, 12:00 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by Waylander

tgunn - thanks! If you can, note the foam/water line before and after.
I will be sure to do so...
I've been tweaking my skimmer lately because I noticed I was running it with way too little air...

We'll see how this helps things out!

Tyler
Old 10/26/2006, 12:02 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Tyler,

I really enjoyed checking out your web site. Lots of cool stuff and great planning.
Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for the comments!
I've been following your build thread throughout it's existence and I have to commend you on the amount of thought and planning you've put into your setup..

My 140 was such a massive undertaking, and you did it on a much larger scale!

Tyler
Old 10/26/2006, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

I changed another one out on a 4' skimmer that I built for the LFS. I think you high pressure people better get prepared.
I had to completely open the gate valve (Euroreef type - over the side) and it was barely enough to keep it from blowing through the cup. I had shut the air almost completely off and then slowly increase it over a 15 minute period. Foam/water line at least 6" lower than before the mod. ENOUGH air is and will not be a problem. We are talking massive quantities of micro-bubbles in a skimmer!

You might want to stick at 20-30 holes. Easier to add than plug.

Old 10/26/2006, 01:53 PM
Just a member

sorry. .had to do it
Old 10/26/2006, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, yeah, I know. I'll try to get it done this weekend if I can. Til then, just imagine your skimmer filled with milk and beckett people looking to trade DOWN in pump size.

Old 10/26/2006, 02:22 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by Waylander
Yeah, yeah, I know. I'll try to get it done this weekend if I can. Til then, just imagine your skimmer filled with milk and beckett people looking to trade DOWN in pump size.
Ooooh man, if I could trade down from my power hungry pcx-70 I would be quite happy!

This will be very interesting to try...

Tyler
Old 10/26/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

tagging
Old 10/26/2006, 08:10 PM
Proud father!

Here's my modified beckett. I'll have to wait until tommorow evening to try it out though to give the epoxy putty time to dry.

also I had my hands in the tank tonight so I'll let that work itself out until tommorow (find the bubbles are always VERY big after putting my hands in the tank).

Tyler
Old 10/26/2006, 08:17 PM
nothing to say here

Thanks for the pics tgunn!

So, it looks like you drilled about 9 holes in between of the normal holes on the close sides, what about on the sides that are far apart?

And how is the foam so far? Does it appear that it's an improvement?
Old 10/26/2006, 08:20 PM

cool. thanks for the pic. I wonder why they aren't manufactured that way?
Old 10/26/2006, 08:25 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by jarhed
Thanks for the pics tgunn!

So, it looks like you drilled about 9 holes in between of the normal holes on the close sides, what about on the sides that are far apart?

And how is the foam so far? Does it appear that it's an improvement?
I basically did about 9 holes on each side as you said. I'm going to try it with the 20 or so holes that are there before I add any more.
All holes are 1/16".

No judgment on the foam so far I'm still using my regular beckett. I cleaned the cup, injector and intake screen for the skimmer so I could get a baseline with my old injector first.

Tyler
Old 10/26/2006, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

They were originally made for ponds as a foaming fountain head to help aerate the pond water.
Old 10/26/2006, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

Did the mod last night and drilled 20 holes around the perimeter in line with the old holes.

The bubble size is awesome but is not pulling in enough air to be truly incredible. I'll drill about 10 more holes to get more air into it.

Also have to downside the pump from Iwaki MX70R to my MD55R as there's too much water getting into the skimmer even with the outflow gate valve 100% open.

Even with minimum settings of airflow and water level, the 2.5L auto shut-off contained was full this morning.

This 'discovery' may well revolutionise skimmer design ... again!

Ciao,

Tone
Old 10/26/2006, 11:48 PM
Engineer

Hey Waylander- Very nice job here. I've played with drilling holes through the core lengthwise, but not as you are doing. Pretty exciting really.

I'll be giving it a shot this weekend- I'll re-do my pump curve measurements too.

Zeph
Old 10/27/2006, 12:00 AM
I hug trees, not Bushes

I have a beckett on the way to my house so I can play too. Teehee. Silly NW fans don't know what they're missing.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 10/27/2006, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

(using my best bandito voice)
Needlewheel? I doan need no stinkin' needlewheel.

tgunn - thanks for being faster than me on the pics!

tonyf - I am seeing what you are seeing. Unless one had excess volume in the skimmer to begin with, I think beckett fans are going to have to down size pumps or dial them back. This should be a good thing turbulence-wise. I have changed out 8 mods so far and the difference is uniform and, shall we say, exciting - much more air and less pump at the same time.

Zeph - you the man on becketts. I was hoping that you would wring it out and put it through the paces.

Old 10/27/2006, 09:19 AM
nothing to say here

Boy, I cant WAIT to get the drill bits out this weekend and give this a shot! I HOPE I have to get a smaller pump! That would be healthy for my electric bill!
Old 10/27/2006, 09:21 AM
Proud father!

Looks like I may have to wait until Sunday to give this a shot. After cleaning my injector last night I forgot to lower the water level in the skimmer. The cleaned injector caused the skimmer to overflow all night, filling my 5g collection bucket, popping the fitting for the shut-off out, and spilling 10g onto the floor. Lucky for me the salinity didn't go too off; it's dropped to 1.023..

Tyler