Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/10/2006, 04:45 PM
Moved On

Thanks, Ed. I am an ugly american and don't know other languages. A little French, even less Japanese, I am listening to Italian tapes in prep for the trip, but alas, I am still ugly.

WHERE can we get Otohime, 3 oz. bottles? Really, we cannot find it!
Old 02/10/2006, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

I'd also go in on the group buy thing. Let me know how much I owe and it will be on the way! I like the size choices mentioned already.

Jason
Old 02/10/2006, 04:55 PM
1 clown short of a circus

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathy55g

WHERE can we get Otohime, 3 oz. bottles? Really, we cannot find it!
Oui, vraiment, nous ne pouvons pas le trouver!

Uh, ditto, and good to have you aboard Jason!
Old 02/10/2006, 05:53 PM
Moved On

Cannot post site. Against rules. :-(
Old 02/10/2006, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Other than the fact that I'm in Canada, I could probably help out as I have all of the sizes below C2 on hand.
Dman
Old 02/10/2006, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Reed Mariculture is the master distributor of Otohime for North and South America. I think I can say that without breaking any rules.
Old 02/10/2006, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Edited by me
Dman

Last edited by Dman; 02/10/2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02/10/2006, 11:38 PM
Fish Yenta

I ordered B1, B2, C1 and C2 today -- somewhere in there should be the right size! I hope my YWG likes it; he must be tired of cyclopeeze but isn't interested in anything else I've offered.
Old 02/11/2006, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

I got A and B2, can't wait until it arrives. I need all the help I can get! After payday, I'll restock on ChlorAmX and get some of the larger sizes too.
Old 02/11/2006, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

For most clowns C2 should be about as big as you'll need Once you get into EP1 or 2 the little ones should be big enough to take to market.
I've found that A is a critical size, as it's about halfway between a rotifer and CE, the perfect size to get most clowns through metamorphosis.
Dman
Old 02/11/2006, 11:18 AM
Moved On

Do you still use NHBS?
Old 02/11/2006, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you still use NHBS?
Nope
Old 02/11/2006, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ediaz
No estarias tan sorprendido Luis, si supieras que me tradujo alguien que trabaja conmigo

Ed
[/QUOTE

Reason of my surprise is that it was very good italian,as only some literate native could write,not any translation programs!

Ed,are you pretty positive of Otohime being superior to Zeigler?Have you run actual side by side experiments with both?.

Yeah,I know,I have to get some and see by myself!
Old 02/11/2006, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

That's good to hear DMan! you're the second experienced breeder I've heard say that. I only used BBS as a transitional food for about 3 days with my last batch, and they are doing well. My Otihime should be here in time for the next hatch, so I may try that. Thanks!
Old 02/11/2006, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Saves HUGE headaches associated with NHBS. Not to mention the fact that I was terrible at it.
Dman
Old 02/11/2006, 04:15 PM
Moved On

I don't mind doing rotifers, but i hate BBS. this is very good news.
Old 02/11/2006, 04:41 PM
Moved On

Dman,
In one of my earlier threads, you said that you thought Otohime made your fish jumpy.
Do you not find that to still be true?
Old 02/11/2006, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Definately, but i didn't really become a problem until they were big enough to jump outta the tanks. When they are smaller, eating up to C1 to C2 they ate feeding frenzy style, which the jumpiness probably helped.
Dman
Old 02/13/2006, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

LOL Luis, es bueno tener traductoras en todos los idiomas;-)

Yes, I did kind of a test, the tank was divided in half with a screen mesh several layers to get a screen size small enough to keep the larvae from swiming thru, they shared the water, rots artemia, ammonia etc. About half the batch in each side, they were fed through a pipe to avoid food going to the other side. One side is being feed Ziegler and the other Otohime , still are. I am on my second batch using this tank.

As for eliminating artemia from the diet, I think it should be fed for at least a few days, in small quantities but still used, I had a problem once with a batch and talking to Martin he suggested to limit the artemia because brineshrimp napulii will create a lot of fat and oil in the late and post larvae that accumulates in the gut
mesentaries and liver. Instead of reducing it I did not offered any artemia to the next batch, got a lot of deformities and underdevelopment form that batch. I think larvae should be weaned into dry food early but artemia should not be eliminated from the diet. Keep in mind it was only one batch.

Ed
Old 02/13/2006, 06:01 PM
Moved On

Ed, did you notice jumpiness?

So do you feed NHBS and Otohime together until you are pretty sure they are taking dry food and then quit the NHBS, or how do you decide when to quit the NHBS?
Old 02/14/2006, 12:45 AM
Premium Member

Silent revolution

Quote:
I don't mind doing rotifers, but i hate BBS. this is very good news.
Well,I don´t hate Artemia,but I suspect that we can track some of our larval/juvs rearing problems to the use of too much or poorly enriched bs.
Those that have read my old report of YT damsel rearing in Reef UK know that I could only make it when I skipped bs whatsoever.
So now some people is purposely raising clowns without bs?This is kinda revolution in "standard"rearing protocols.Who started and since when?.It´s amazing nobody posted about it here before.This "bs less"method is inherent to the use of Otohime or could any other good feed work as well?.
Would be great to have developers/users of this method comment it.
Old 02/14/2006, 01:18 AM
Premium Member

Well Luis, I'm far from a developer of any method, but I did use Ed's 2-3 days of artemia method on my last hatch, and I was using powdered Formula 1 and Formula 2 (75% - 25% respectively)

I messed up and put a hang on filter on the tank too early, with too high a flow rate (yep, I'm new to this) and killed probably 75% of the fry. I have 24 left, and they are as big as the earlier set that is 1 month older. These older fry were fed BBS for almost 2 weeks before switching to dry foods (F1 and F2 aslo).

Looking at them side by side, I tend to think the set that got less BBS are developing faster. Oddly enough, though it's probably unrelated, the set with very little BBS are a lot less aggressive towards each other. I've had several sibling rivalry casualties from the first set, and none from this one.

Keep in mind, these are my 3rd and 5th hatches, so take all of this data as it is, inexperienced at best! Unlike Ed's experiemnt, mine were in different water, with different densities of fry in each tank. Both tanks recieved the same number of cleanings, feedings, and water changes, and were at the same temp. The higher stocked fry are the faster developing ones. I only have 5 left from the heavy BBS fed batch. If not for my mistake, I would probably have 100 fry from the batch that only got 3 days of artemia.
Old 02/14/2006, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

That is a good topic for discussion Luis,

In my opinion artemia is here to stay but a technique that does not require artemia does not sounds bad, I was talking to somebody who practically told me not to use it. I beleive for a couple of days, transition days, is still necesary, also I suspect that the people skipping the artemia fed rotifers for a longer period.

Even when Mark Cosme in '98 got away with raising clownfishes with dry foods since day one, artemia was mandatory to bring the larvae up through meatamorphosis.

The artemia feeding technique is still widely used by hatcheries who will benefit form dry feeds.

For non clownfish species it may be detrimental as suggested by Moe, but I also witnessed 100s of thousands of dottybacks heavely fed artemia with not problem in survival and or development.

Maybe we should discuss it at IMAC if you come this year, we will be there.

Ed
Old 02/14/2006, 04:28 PM
Moved On

i will be there.
Old 02/14/2006, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Seeing as this thread has careened way off topic, anyone interested in starting a new thread regarding Otohime and NHBS/artemia?
Perhaps Frank can split the thread up somehow?
I too am doing everything in my power to be in Chicago for IMAC
Dman