Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 10:18 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by Boca Kris
Hi Grim!
About a month ago you gave me some stellar advice on light, and I wound up with the Aquactinics TX5 unit. Your recommendations for bulbs at that time was:

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Actinic
Aqua Blue (is that ATI or Geismann?)

Are those all 54W HO bulbs? I have a standard size 55G and hope to add some corals/softies/etc down the road. I have it on top of my tank now with only 3 bulbs (10K & 2 actinics) and the temp was 83 degrees! Should I Lift the fixture up off the glass top? How far up would be good? And would you still recommend those bulbs for my setup?

Sorry for all the questions, but I know you know your stuff!
Thanks a million!
ATI or Giesemann Aquablue is fine. Other than that the mix is good.

You need to lose the glass top. At least half of it. Not only will it cut down on the heat it helps with gas exchange from the air to the water.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Will that damage the unit at all? I just lost my CoralLife unit (the other one came to my door the DAY the other one died!!) to what appears to be internal corrosion, AND I had the glass top.

One reason I have it is because I dont have a way to skim the surface of the tank, so Im worried about dust collecting.

But thanks for the advice on the bulbs, I'll get some pricing now!
Old 12/19/2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishyz
Hey Grim, I think you have convinced me to convert to T5's. I have a standard 90g currently with power compacts. I plan to do a lps dominated tank with a few sps if possible, and a clam. A few lfs's have recommended T5's, but I'm unsure of what exactly to get, and how many and what type of fixtures/bulbs. Any recommendations for a nice blue color? Thanks so much!
Probably a 6 lamp Tek light. Grab one of the Azoo clamp on fans for it, the Drs sell them. You can set on the back of the tank so it blows across the fixture horizontally

For lamps
Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Old 12/19/2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boca Kris
Will that damage the unit at all? I just lost my CoralLife unit (the other one came to my door the DAY the other one died!!) to what appears to be internal corrosion, AND I had the glass top.

One reason I have it is because I dont have a way to skim the surface of the tank, so Im worried about dust collecting.

But thanks for the advice on the bulbs, I'll get some pricing now!
The Tx5 is designed to sit right on the tank. Thats why it has the splash sheild
Old 12/19/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

I'll take your word for it and give it a shot! Just a little gun shy since the Coralife unit blitzed out on me. It had a splash shield also, coupled with the glass top, I figured it would be relatively safe from the salt.

Im gonna lift the unit about 4 inches off the top and see how everything does at that height, and I'll take off one of the tops and see how the surface is.

Thanks a bunch Grim! I appreciate it!
Old 12/20/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

Grim,
I tried the following config for my 150 (60x24x24) SPS dominated tank. I could not be happier with the results.... so far Tell me what you think

Front
Blue +
UVL Super Actinic
Aquasun
Blue+
Pro Color
Blue+

Thank you,
Brock
Mag 1300
Nitrate .8 (Hanna Test)
PO4 .01
Old 12/20/2007, 01:13 AM

WHat, no pictures?

Should look nice.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
WHat, no pictures?

Should look nice.
Lol.. I should be able to get a pic up today when the lights come on. You have been a great help Grim. I hope everyone appreciates all the advice you give.

Brock
Mag 1300
Nitrate .8 (Hanna Test)
PO4 .01
Old 12/20/2007, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

Do T5 actinics, like the "ATI True Actinic 03", take a while to burn in?
Old 12/20/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

I was also actually wondering about that bulb? What does the 03 stand for? Is it a good bulb to add into a 5 bulb setup?
Old 12/20/2007, 05:30 PM

The 03 is just an designation for actinic lamps.

They do take a bit to settle in, or at least used to. Not sure about the Super Actinic, they look pretty good out of the box.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the reply. Put in my new bulbs:

ATI Blue Plus
ATI True Actinic 03
GE Daylight 3000k
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Blue Plus

I was a bit surprised by the look. Thought it would be a bit bluer, but the more I look at it the more I like it. The greens REALLY pop out, and the reds look better, too. I'm in the middle of a blackout period (yet again) to try and get rid of these damn dino's, but I can't wait to get back on a regular lighting schedule!
Old 12/20/2007, 10:16 PM
Male Gigolo

Ok, so I am getting the 8 bulb Tek Light soon and I need a bulb combination. I am going to do a SPS dominated tank. The tanks dimensions are very short, 48" x 18" x 13".

So who has some suggestions? It looks to be Grimm is the wizard around here? I was planning on going with all Giessman bulbs unless I shouldn't?
Old 12/20/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Probably a 6 lamp Tek light. Grab one of the Azoo clamp on fans for it, the Drs sell them. You can set on the back of the tank so it blows across the fixture horizontally

For lamps
Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Thanks Grim! Any recommendations on the cheapest/reliable online place to pick that up?
Old 12/20/2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sellout007
Ok, so I am getting the 8 bulb Tek Light soon and I need a bulb combination. I am going to do a SPS dominated tank. The tanks dimensions are very short, 48" x 18" x 13".

So who has some suggestions? It looks to be Grimm is the wizard around here? I was planning on going with all Giessman bulbs unless I shouldn't?
Go with whatever brand you can get but the ATI's are better

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

I am assuming 2 and 7 are dusk dawn, otherwise change the positions so you get a blue and actinic on that circuit
Old 12/20/2007, 11:55 PM
Male Gigolo

Quote:
Go with whatever brand you can get but the ATI's are better

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

I am assuming 2 and 7 are dusk dawn, otherwise change the positions so you get a blue and actinic on that circuit
I work for a LFS and we are ordering from Sunlight Supply and I think they only carry Giesemann bulbs. Should I pay the extra and order online for the ATI? Is there a big difference? What is the difference?
Old 12/21/2007, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

20 20, I would like to see a pic of your tank with those bulbs...
Old 12/21/2007, 12:51 AM

ATI has better PAR but it isn't a huge difference and not that inportant in your case. However I don't like Giesemanns actinic nearly as much. The Pro Color is a odd ball lamp that has a reddish output. You could use a GE 3000K and a 6500K in place of the Pro Color and Aquasun lamps if you can get those local.

Otherwise Do this, The Blue Plus is the same type of lamp as the Actinic Plus, the Aquablues are pretty much the same. Sooo

Order Giesmann Aquablue and Actinic Plus lamps, then order from reefgeek 1 UVL Super Actinic, 1 UVL Aquasun and 1 ATI Pro Color.

If you can get the GE lamps local than just go ahead with the Pure Actinic rather than ordering through the geek.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

Exclamation my lightng need help.

hi grim,
im new to this hobby and i am setting up a 90g 48/18/24
i would like to keep most corals in my reef
what lighting would you suggest for a cost under $800

i have found these three, but im wondering if it is worth it?
could you give an honest rating for them?
solar flare 48" complete
Link
HO sunlight supply t5 tek light 48" either the 6 lamp or 8 lamp
link
coralife aqualight pro 48"
link

Thanks.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:27 AM

Solar Flare will give you more intensity than the halide. You just dont get shimmers.

Tek Light would be close to that halide one way or another.

Halide is decent enough but 150's are a little weak for a 24" tall tank. You would definatly have to stick with 10K lamps if your gonna keep high light critters happy
Old 12/21/2007, 03:23 AM
Registered Member

Grim and friends -

I was looking at lighitng earlier tonight and noiced the Tek T5 ready fit systems. The description says that each bulb has an individual tek reflector, and the fixture Im looking at is a 54wx2 fixture. Has anyone had any experience with these? They would certainly be easier to install than a full retrofit. Would 2 or 3 of them over a 55g be enough to support LPS and clams?
Old 12/21/2007, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Why get 2 or 3 fixtures and have to deal with all of them on top of your tank? Why not just get a 4 or 6 bulb unit to begin with?
Old 12/21/2007, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Why get 2 or 3 fixtures and have to deal with all of them on top of your tank? Why not just get a 4 or 6 bulb unit to begin with?
Old 12/21/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

jennmac415-
the readyfit kits are not fixtures. they mount into a canopy.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...unlight_Supply

Corndork2-
if im not mistaken, the ready fits have the old tek reflector. the tek 2 retros might be a better option for you. you might even be able to get the slr reflectors for a little extra.

silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down

Last edited by bigfruits; 12/21/2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Solar Flare will give you more intensity than the halide. You just dont get shimmers.

Tek Light would be close to that halide one way or another.

Halide is decent enough but 150's are a little weak for a 24" tall tank. You would definatly have to stick with 10K lamps if your gonna keep high light critters happy

are shimmers really necessary?
what if i were to get the 250's, would that be enough for a 24" tank?

in your experience which would you recommend for my tank?