Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/24/2007, 09:11 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by Micki
WOW, very nice!!! I didn't see you mention anything about a tank in the carriage house...
It would be too much juice having to keep it warm enough. I plan on installing a small gas heater and will keep it low unless we are out there But it was thought about
Old 11/24/2007, 09:14 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I think he meant to say Tank House right? Sweet fence Hop. We don't have fences where I live.
I wish, but I'm limited to 10'X12' and as I mentioned above, I need to watch how much juice I'm going to pump to it. But since my office is in the process of becoming a guest room since the big tank came down, I need a man room Actually a place for night shifts so I can play guitar , Xbox and watch movies with the surround sound going. Plus Mrs. Hop wants it... So I'm sure it will be foo-food out

And I definitely need a fence... To keep my dogs in and the neighbor's dogs alive!
Old 11/24/2007, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

Makes me think of that Verizon cell commercial...

"Mom, can't you see we're in the Man Cave!"

Fence looks great Hop...wanna come out to the right coast and do one for me too...

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 11/24/2007, 11:20 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Hop - Wow is that dog in the pic a malinois? Did K9 training that is awesome! I enjoy very well trained animals they are a thing of beauty and amazing

You going to do a bunch of training w/ the new little guy? Post pics of the little guy all you want

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 11/25/2007, 12:26 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Reefer
Makes me think of that Verizon cell commercial...

"Mom, can't you see we're in the Man Cave!"

Fence looks great Hop...wanna come out to the right coast and do one for me too...
And sure, why not... Anothe rguy in SC wants me to come out and help him redo his wetroom, so we can just make a month of it

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
Hop - Wow is that dog in the pic a malinois? Did K9 training that is awesome! I enjoy very well trained animals they are a thing of beauty and amazing

You going to do a bunch of training w/ the new little guy? Post pics of the little guy all you want

Lunchbucket
The dog in that pic is a black shepherd named Ejon. He is one of the two service dogs on our department. The other was mine, Drogen, but has been assigned a new handler since my injury. We also have 2 other shepherds and a dutchie in training. The little guys are great! As far as Boscoe, for a mutt, he has great drives, but is a knuckle head. I'll never teach him any protection.apprehension work, but it's my therapy to train him in the others. It's funny as my mini-aussie that is all of 35lbs, I've trained as a dual purpose dog. He is a riot to watch work the sleeve, but he is a great tracker. If anyone has been around dogs, they will tell you that it is the mediocre dogs that really teach you to train, so I'm always looking for a new challenge.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:09 AM
Carpe Noctem

Oh and in some reef related news, I just got done introducing my clown to the big tank... I needed to move the q-tank as it was getting too much direct light from the season change and was quickly turning into algae soup... It was only a week early, so I've got my fingers crossed. It took him about 15 minutes to get comfortable, but now he is out swimming with the group
Old 11/25/2007, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

Very cool setup. Lots of thought put into it.
What do you create those drawings with?
Old 11/25/2007, 02:06 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by UrbanSage
Very cool setup. Lots of thought put into it.
What do you create those drawings with?
Thanks Urbansage! I really want this tank to succeed and be a focal point of the house.

The drawings were made with sketchup from google. It is the free version.
Old 11/25/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Oh I have to get my hands on that
Thanks!
Old 11/25/2007, 03:39 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

I used it for some of my tank room pics too. Pretty easy to use...not VERY easy but pretty easy. I'm still not certain how to get the PVC pipe to work like I want.

Goggle search it, download it, and have fun

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 11/25/2007, 09:49 PM
Carpe Noctem

Sketch up takes a little time playing with, but it's a pretty fun program for free

Ok, so we only got a few more panels of the fence up today, but did get the front of the faux pillars done. I need to go back and build the backsides of them so that it gives the image of a 8X8 post... And my wife reminded me that we are only 1/3 of the way done

And here is a pic of the clown in his new home. I need to clean the glass before I take any more pics of the tank:

I think the wife was hoping I would work on the fence tomorrow, but I'm thinking of going to the big city an hour away to get all my Christmas shopping done before my "good will to man" streak wears off from Christmas people in the stores. If I do, I may come home with the canon 100mm macro lens for the camera... Or an X-box 360 w. halo for myself! But I have been promising lunchbucket that I would get some reef parts in the mail for him and have been putting it off... Basically because I have to drive so far to ship anything...
Old 11/25/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Get the 360 and Halo 3, you will have no regrets.

Matt.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:31 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by msuzuki126
Get the 360 and Halo 3, you will have no regrets.
You may even get a divorce.

We have Halo 3 over here now, since my son moved back in. I played along side him the other day, but didn't kill nearly enough bad guys to keep him happy.
Old 11/26/2007, 12:03 AM
Carpe Noctem

Either way I'm OK. We were going to get it for my son for Christmas but he pulled a big faux-paw Thursday and we may not be getting it for him... We already have PS2 on the bigscreen(big to me anyway) that I use to keep polished on my hand-eye coordination when I'm on night shift and can't find anything to do at 3am

But I really would like the 100mm macro lens

I ordered some toys for the tank the other night and will be putting the vortecs off for a while as I can't justify that kind of money when I have adequate flow now. I'll probably get one w/ battery b/u at the first of the year...
Old 11/26/2007, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

well my freind, of all the beutifull work you've done here with this awsome set up, i have but two questions for you. first question... the float swith you have on your auto top off, is that non-electric? like a float linked directly to a valve? and, do you mind if i ask where you got that at???
Old 11/26/2007, 01:29 AM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismunn
well my freind, of all the beutifull work you've done here with this awsome set up, i have but two questions for you. first question... the float swith you have on your auto top off, is that non-electric? like a float linked directly to a valve? and, do you mind if i ask where you got that at???
Hey Chris and thank you. It's just a simple kent float valve... I probably got both of them at marine depot or premium aquatics. I'm sure you noted that one is to ensure I don't overfill my storage tank and the second one is used for the ato in the tank. I do not put kalk through it as they have a habit of failing if you do. I have not hooked it up yet, but I will eventually have a GEO kalk reactor hooked up to some type of a dosing system for that.
Old 11/26/2007, 05:31 PM
Carpe Noctem

Well I grabbed a new lens for my camera today. Thought I would share a few of the first ones to come out OK. I'm going to clean the glass and shut the pumps off later for some better pics without the flash.

Old 11/26/2007, 05:33 PM
Will work 4 corals

Sweet! I really need to get a 100mm macro lens!

So shoot me!
Old 11/26/2007, 05:38 PM
R I P we miss you...

Schweet!!!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 11/26/2007, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

That is awesome...you know, if that camera setup just really doesn't work for you...you can always ship it to the right coast and I'll, uh, suffer through the pain of using it for ya...

Great pics man...we need more!!

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 11/26/2007, 05:56 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Reefer
That is awesome...you know, if that camera setup just really doesn't work for you...you can always ship it to the right coast and I'll, uh, suffer through the pain of using it for ya...

Great pics man...we need more!!
We'll see. I still have a lot of playing to do bere I know if I like it or not

Quote:
Originally posted by Micki
Schweet!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by gkarshens
Sweet! I really need to get a 100mm macro lens!
Thanks! I still have a huge learning curve... This is all camera on the auto setting
Old 11/26/2007, 06:54 PM
TRC Leader

I'm impressed how you got those with the flash. For me, flash rarely helps and usually messes up as it tries to pass through the glass.
Old 11/26/2007, 08:02 PM
Carpe Noctem

Thanks melev. I think it has to do with the position of the flash on the camera, although I'm not sure where yours is located. On my last camera, is sat closer to the lens and washed out the pics...

A few more playing with the settings. I need to adjust my white balance for a realistic appearance on a few of them.

Old 11/26/2007, 08:02 PM
Carpe Noctem

Old 11/26/2007, 08:16 PM

nice job.