Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/06/2006, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Would that actually work? Or would I be better of buying a sander unit and adjusting accordingly?

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 03/06/2006, 08:27 PM
SPS Freak

Not sure if it would, but I saw a commercial that it binds ozone so I would think the CFM would be very well under a tank.
Old 03/06/2006, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

How much do those units cost?

Old 03/06/2006, 09:07 PM
SPS Freak

Not sure but I don't think they are cheap. Does your enaly smell at all? I would honestly think since the ASM cap is pretty sealed, you could put a pvc chamber of carbon on the regular oxygen side of the T connector so if any ozone is pushed out that end, you wouldn't have to worry about it.
Old 03/06/2006, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

The enaly smells horribly. I have the output of the skimmer in a filter sock with a lot of carbon in it. I also have a bag of carbon on the t for the gate valve mod. I have no carbon on the cup though. I smell ozone coming from the cup and the main output only after a few minutes of running! I'm not sure how to make all the water from the output of the skimmer go through the carbon in the filter sock though, any suggestions?

Old 03/06/2006, 10:26 PM
Reef Addict

thrlride take the enaly unit apart & disconect the air pump it will put out less ozone & wont smell at all, that is what i did.
Old 03/06/2006, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

thank you steve68, I will try that. A few seconds of this smell made me quite nauseous.

Old 03/07/2006, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

thrlride are you running the enaly for your 90 gals? at what setting do you have the controller set to and how long does the ozone run to get to this level? just curious because i have an enaly on a 72 gal. bowfront. i run it through a CSS 220 skimmer and had not had an issue with smell the first time i ran it. then again like i wrote earlier in this thread it only took ten minutes to raise the orp from 325 to 365. i havent ran the enaly yet since the first test just to make sure the probe was stable, but in those ten mins. i didnt smell anything.

is it true that removing the pump reduces ozone output? the CSS comes with an air silencer for the air tubing. i placed a tee connector on the hose from the pump to the enaly and to this i connect the air silencer. this should mix the ozone with fresh air, reducing its levels. since the pump is always sucking air, i doubt much ozone would escape from the silencer. maybe you can try a similar strategy
Old 03/07/2006, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

Thrlride,

I hope you resolved the issue with the enlay. If not, is there a reason you just didn't pick up a Sanders unit or Aquamedic?

You can adjust the amount of ozone and they are very efficient for their size.

MG
Old 03/07/2006, 06:58 AM
Reef Addict

MG for 50 bucks u cant beat the enaly unit, it's true sanders & aquamedic are great units, but u can do some mods to the enaly so it does not push out so much ozone, disconecting the air pump is the one that helps the most
Old 03/07/2006, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

What are some of the other ways steve68?

The reason I didn't get the other two were mainly monetary reasons. If I have to get a sander then I will but I want to make this one work.

I only ran the thing for a few minutes before I smelled ozone in the immediate area so turned it off. In the few minutes I ran it the ORP went from 320 to 330 though.

Old 03/07/2006, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

When I first setup the Enaly unit, it produced a strong smell. I was told it was breaking in, and after a few days, it should subside. It did.

Like Steve68, I also removed the internal air pump. It's been working like a champ for a while now.

Marcelo -
Old 03/07/2006, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

I just posted this in the Ozone Warning thread. What do you think?

What do you think about the new OxygenFresh Fans that Sharper Image sells? They are suppose to convert ozone to oxygen. Do you think they would help if you have a slight smell of ozone in the air? I have a 16 x 17 fish room setup in my basement running a Sander 50mg/hr at about 20%. I run it into a Coralife Ozone Reactor then into a Phosban Reactor filled with Carbon and can still smell ozone if I put my nose to the sump. I can also smell it in the air when I walk down to the basement. It's ever so slight but still present.
Old 03/07/2006, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcelog
When I first setup the Enaly unit, it produced a strong smell. I was told it was breaking in, and after a few days, it should subside. It did.

Like Steve68, I also removed the internal air pump. It's been working like a champ for a while now.

Marcelo -
You actually smelled less ozone after the initial breakin? Has anyone else experienced a breakin with the enaly unit?

I'm going to unplug the airpump, if that doesn't help I will plug the airpump back in and then run it in the garage for a few days with the output outside the garage.

Old 03/07/2006, 11:33 AM
reefman

Those of you that run Ozone into your skimmer. Is your skimmate darker or lighter than before?
Old 03/07/2006, 11:39 AM
Moved On

Mine is lighter than before.
Old 03/07/2006, 02:33 PM
Whatchu talkin bout PO4?

My skimmate is MUCH lighter than before. Also, my enaly unit smelled much stronger the first few days as well. It gradually subsided to be a non issue
Old 03/07/2006, 03:32 PM
reefman

My skimmate has turned allot lighter than what it was. I also had to readjust my skimmer a bit after adding the tee for ozone. BTW, here is a graph of my orp since I setup the aquamedic generator. Its a 200 MG unit on almost 200 gallons total. Since the 425 spike (run full bore), I now run it at halfway on the dial.

Old 03/07/2006, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

I unplugged the airpump from the enaly, installed the fitting in my skimmer cup to suck the air and I still smell it a little. The ORP rises quick with this unit. I wonder if I set it on a timer for an hour each night, what negative effects that would have.

At least the ozone would have time to dissapate throughout the downstairs while we sleep.

Old 03/07/2006, 07:26 PM
SPS Freak

Or it could just get you while you sleep j/k. Probably would work well.
Old 03/07/2006, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

LOL, did you get yours today?

Old 03/07/2006, 07:46 PM
SPS Freak

Yea it came in. I need another powerstrip but I did hook it up at 25 mg/h with the luft pump at setting 3. I'll check it and see. I don't smell any ozone yet but man I stuck it up to my nose and it stunk.

I'll unplug it tonight before I go to bed till I get a power strip.
My orp is at 355 before ozone so it rose 20 points since my last post about it.
Old 03/07/2006, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

I ran mine for roughly 10 minutes and it rose to 360 from 320. I then turned it off and it dropped to 320 within an hour.

Does that sound right? I can see it rising that fast, not dropping that fast though.

Old 03/07/2006, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

the rise in ozone really depends upon how much you are generating and how much water volume you have. It take my 350 gallons of water about an hour to rise 50 points. I am generating ozone at about 100-150 mg/hour

I have noticed that my orp in general has increased to around 320 without dosing anything. I run ozone for about two weeks and the orp was increased from 220 to 350. I have been without it for over a week and it is holding steady at 320. I am thinking I do not need to dose it continuously.
Old 03/08/2006, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

My ORP probe was right near the output of the skimmer so I am thinking I was getting a false high reading when I was dosing. This morning I moved the probe to my overflow since there is little light in there and the water isn't too turbulent. We'll see how fast it rises now...