Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 01:59 AM
TRC Leader

Close ups?! I'm doing good to see it for 10 seconds once a day. It is probably 3" long, and about as thick as #2 pencil lead.
Old 12/08/2007, 02:13 AM
Premium Member

Wow, what a shame to only get fleeting glimpses. I have a friend who is a herper who would love to see it. Will send him a link to this thread.

Wow, that small. Very cool.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:01 AM

It's a giant tank-eating flatworm. Get out while you can!!
Old 12/08/2007, 03:20 AM
grouchy hermit

Maybe a baby conger eel?

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/%E2%80...ia/conger.html

Spleen
Old 12/08/2007, 03:24 AM
Carpe Noctem

I'm thinking bigger...

Old 12/08/2007, 03:26 AM
grouchy hermit

LOL!

Spleen
Old 12/08/2007, 07:30 AM
R I P we miss you...

I hope it's not a snake!!!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 12/08/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I was feeding the aiptasia again tonight, and figured why not take a few pictures at the same time. The cyano on the sand is a real eyesore, but it'll clear up soon I'm sure.

The T. maxima clam looks great. Zoanthids are closed up because I was killing aiptasia, and the cyano really ruins the shot. Still, the clam is not one to be ignored.

How deep is that maxima in your tank, 30" below the lights?
Old 12/08/2007, 03:09 PM
TRC Leader

That's a good question. From the top of the mantle to the surface of the water is 20", and the MH bulbs are 9" off the water.
Old 12/08/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
That's a good question. From the top of the mantle to the surface of the water is 20", and the MH bulbs are 9" off the water.
I have seen people recommend keeping clams at no deeper than 20" but I can never remember if that is from the lights or from the surface. Since yours looks really healthy I would have to assume that 20" below the surface is ok. Have you seen significant growth at that depth?
Old 12/08/2007, 05:12 PM
TRC Leader

Since it used to be cute and adorable, I'd have to say yes. It was probably 1.5" when I got it, and it is nearly 5" 1.5 years later.

July 2006:
Old 12/08/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Since it used to be cute and adorable, I'd have to say yes. It was probably 1.5" when I got it, and it is nearly 5" 1.5 years later.

July 2006:
Very nice, I was hoping that was the baby clam you got a while back. That gives me a few more options on placement.
Old 12/08/2007, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

Well think about pictures of clams you see in the wild at quite a variety of depths? I always laugh when someone gives such a hard and fast rule (and then you will see a scolymia sitting on the top of their rocks).

I have to say they have a color like that one available on Live Aquaria and I am dying to get one when my tank is setup and established. BTW Marc, I would say that your website was one of the most helpful in preparing me for a large tank (225).

I appreciate the fact you take time to post so many photos and information on what you have learned.

Back to the clam, does anything bad happen when zoa's touch a clam's mantle? I love the contrasting colors between the zoa's and your clam which is why I ask. I have some of those exact same colors of zoa's.

Lee
Old 12/08/2007, 09:18 PM
TRC Leader

Lee - the clam didn't seem phased at all by the zoanthids, however, at one point a few months ago they'd grown so thick that the clam didn't open one day. And that day I just started peeling away those problem zoas as the clam is more important to me.

It was interesting how easily the zoas came off the clam, compared to scraping some off rockwork.

I'm glad my site has helped you. Always adding new content keeps it interesting, and sometimes I even go back and edit other sections that I find errors in.
Old 12/08/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lhoy
Well think about pictures of clams you see in the wild at quite a variety of depths? I always laugh when someone gives such a hard and fast rule (and then you will see a scolymia sitting on the top of their rocks).
I know there are tang police, are there clam police as well ?
Old 12/11/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Finally finished reading this thread completely, wow, full of great information and ideas. I have just finished designing and building a house and have an area for a in wall 125 tank. I am still some time away from setting the tank up (doing all the house finish work myself may not be the smartest decision) but you have given me many ideas. I hope I can have a tank half as nice as yours. Thanks
Old 12/11/2007, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Melev, help me out with something. You use Salifert test kits, right? I remember back who knows how many pages ago, about the little spoon in those kits. How do you determine what is level spoon? My Mag test is coming in low, which in return I am having a difficult time getting my Cal up. Any ideas how to fix these issues I am having? Thanks!
Old 12/11/2007, 09:44 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by ray356
Finally finished reading this thread completely, wow, full of great information and ideas. I have just finished designing and building a house and have an area for a in wall 125 tank. I am still some time away from setting the tank up (doing all the house finish work myself may not be the smartest decision) but you have given me many ideas. I hope I can have a tank half as nice as yours. Thanks
Ray, I'm really impressed, This is a very long thread to read, since it is over 3 years' worth of documentation and discussion. No doubt you've covered the highs and lows and can avoid some of the pitfalls I've encountered along the way.

I bet your 125g will look great. Is the fishroom properly planned to deal with temperature and humidity? That's very important. A floor drain and sink would be nice, if that is still an option.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

TBduval, I use the same test kits (waiting on my NO2 test right now). A Level spoonfull is just what it sounds like. The material should be level across the top of the spoon, not heaped up above the edges. You can scrape the excess off with the cap.

Phil
Old 12/11/2007, 09:49 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Tbduval
Melev, help me out with something. You use Salifert test kits, right? I remember back who knows how many pages ago, about the little spoon in those kits. How do you determine what is level spoon? My Mag test is coming in low, which in return I am having a difficult time getting my Cal up. Any ideas how to fix these issues I am having? Thanks!
Yes, I use Salifert. The kits come with different sized spoons, but I believe Habib told me the size doesn't matter because they are merely a coloring agent. However, since I was raised to cook, I tend to think every measurement is important and spoon size should matter.

A level spoon is a smooth spoon full. My kit uses the blue spoon. Bertoni or Billybeau recommends doing the test three times in a row to get the most accurate average. I only test it once, personally. Then again, I'm not a chemist - I'm a freakin' hobbyist.

What is current calcium level, and what are you using to bring it up or how is it normally dosed?

Here's jdieck's excellent calculator:
http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html
Old 12/11/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Ok here are the test results

Alk. - 9.8 dhk
Cal - 390
Mag- 1250

2-part is what I am using currently. The tanks is still young, under 1 year. Most of the LR was taken from my other 2 tank that were combined in my 210. I am dosing 60ml of each part, 30ml in the morning & 30ml at night. It says, based off that calculator, to add 630ml. Wow, sounds like I am under shooting calc big time and need to make some adjustments to my daily dosing. Thanks for any suggestions!!
Old 12/11/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Melev,

Can you enlighten me further about the "mystery solution" in your bubble counter? I know some people have been using vegetable oil, and others gycerine. What are its benefits? Please, and thank you!
Old 12/11/2007, 10:12 PM
TRC Leader

If Randy were posting in this thread, he would tell you that all three are fine.

Alk range - 8 to 11 dKH - so you are fine.
Cal range - 375 to 425 - so you are fine.
Mag - 3x calcium level - so you are fine.

Now if you want to bring up Magnesium, that's fine. But Alk & Ca are decent.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:16 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by michika
Melev,

Can you enlighten me further about the "mystery solution" in your bubble counter? I know some people have been using vegetable oil, and others gycerine. What are its benefits? Please, and thank you!
I replied in the other thread you asked in, but I'll repost it here as well:

It makes it easier to count the bubbles, and it doesn't seem to evaporate like water does. Marine Depot sells it:
https://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...ct~KL3311.html

Here's a video of mine:
http://melevsreef.com/video/bubble_counter.wmv
Old 12/11/2007, 10:29 PM

I have a blue LED behind mine...looks like a Lava Lamp!