Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

"If you can read this, thank a teacher -and, since it's in English, thank a soldier"

This comment is the most offensive line I have read on the web,
and I can read and writte in english is tks my High school educattion, not about a soldier, have a nice day.

Atte Eduardo Bado.

I sorry the off topic.

Off topic, sorry.
Old 10/19/2007, 07:47 PM
El Jefe de WRS

"This comment is the most offensive line I have read on the web"

I read that, and I think to myself... gee... of all the things on the internet, that is the most offensive thing you have found? Is RC the only website you read? Heck, I think I have said things more offensive than that even here on RC. Is this thread the only thing you read

I dont even see what is offensive about it...
Old 10/19/2007, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

doesn't get around much does he? let's not get this great thread off track though.
Old 10/19/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vitor pestana
Hello berniekyle!

The most importante lesson about this setup is power efficiency and that it works, the only change is light source, do you realize how much money is spend in lamps and power to imitate the real thing?

Another thing i forgot to say about this setup is that no light timers are necessary... i only use the natural rotation of the planet... LOL

Regards

Vitor Pestana
hahah nice seems like you have it good. Hows the color and do you get great growth with the great color?
Old 10/25/2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

one word...WOW!
Old 10/25/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ebado
"If you can read this, thank a teacher -and, since it's in English, thank a soldier"

and I can read and writte in english is tks my High school educattion, not about a soldier, have a nice day.

Atte Eduardo Bado.

I sorry the off topic.

Off topic, sorry.

That and I think he misunderstood the quote on top of it. If its offensive, it is certainly not offensive to a Mexican citizen, but rather to somone of English descent. My father comes from Newcastle over the pond and I find nothing offensive about it, but rather only a truth. This quote deals with English colonialism and possibly even American imperialism. Funny thing is he even said he speaks English thanks to his high school education....isn't that what the dang quote says....guess they didn't teach English/American/1st-19th century history in Mexico along with the English to get the second part.
Old 10/25/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ebado

Atte Eduardo Bado.

I sorry the off topic.

Off topic, sorry.

That and I think he misunderstood the quote on top of it. If its offensive, it is certainly not offensive to a Mexican citizen, but rather to somone of English descent. My father comes from Newcastle over the pond and I find nothing offensive about it, but rather only a truth. This quote deals with English colonialism and possibly even American imperialism. Funny thing is he even said he speaks English thanks to his high school education....isn't that what the dang quote says....guess they didn't teach English/American/1st-19th century history in Mexico along with the English to get the second part of the quote.
Old 10/25/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

You would swear that English was the most spoken language on the planet.... My own language must be one of the _least_ spoken!

Anyway, relax lads, no big deal, and I would never question any body's spelling, you guys cannot spell anyway. Color = Colour!!!

Sheesh! :-)

Back to the thread, any new pics Vitor?
We would sure love some....

Regards & Love to all,
Conor.
Old 10/25/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

how is the tank holding up (or the inhabitants rather) with cooler weather? how much temperature variation have you now seen?
Old 10/25/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

That is truly one amazing tank. Thank you for sharing. And your friends Prop tank is second to none!!!

Old 10/27/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Hi Guys!

Now that everybody express their opinion, lets get to the point of the thread...

New updates:

I both a Tunze 6100 Kit TS 24 with a 7094 controller, my best investment:

Now my very best complementary system associated to the main tank, a outdoor refugium:

I build the refugium similar to the main tank to keep the warm/cold and water level.

Left you some pics, think that the subtitles are unnecessary:

Old 10/27/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

All the best

Vitor Pestana
Old 10/27/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Whoa, now thats cool!
Old 10/27/2007, 12:46 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Looks nice. How tall is the refugium? Can you reach to the bottom? I wonder how the refugium will affect your temperature if at all.
Nice work Vitor

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 10/27/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Hi Vitor,

Extraordinary upgrade to the system. Congratulations for your wonderful tank powered by the sun!
Let me ask you some questions: Why did you choose Aragamud for substrate? How will you ensure the water flow inside the mangrove greenhouse? The mangrove greenhouse will be closed, at least in winter, to ensure there the greenhouse effect, correct? If yes, how will you guarantee gaseous exchange - CO2 versus oxygen - inside the tank so that the plants can breathe? I'm sure you have solutions for that.

Cheers,
Old 10/27/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
Looks nice. How tall is the refugium? Can you reach to the bottom? I wonder how the refugium will affect your temperature if at all.
Nice work Vitor
Hi H2OENG!

The refugium have 90cm on the back side and 80 cm on the front side, a parte is underground (30 cm) the front part you see have 50cm.

I have a DSB around 15cm, this way the high is 65cm , i can reach any part easily with my arm.

About temperature, i doesn't afect it in any way, the configuration is the same of the main tank, it is running for a week with no temperature problem.

Asta la vista.

Vitor Pestana

Quote:
Originally posted by Machado deSousa
Hi Vitor,

Extraordinary upgrade to the system. Congratulations for your wonderful tank powered by the sun!
Let me ask you some questions: Why did you choose Aragamud for substrate? How will you ensure the water flow inside the mangrove greenhouse? The mangrove greenhouse will be closed, at least in winter, to ensure there the greenhouse effect, correct? If yes, how will you guarantee gaseous exchange - CO2 versus oxygen - inside the tank so that the plants can breathe? I'm sure you have solutions for that.

Cheers,

Hi Machado!

Plants have others needs than nitrate or phosfate, minerals are a very important for the plant grouth.

Aragamud is one of the most importante suplements for a long term successful refugium, it has all minerals that plants need. Since the minerals are in the DSB, plants only have to stretch the roots in the sand to obtain their mineral needs and don't extract this same minerals from the water leaving the trace elements free for corals and other beings, has you know mangroves have a great need for magnesium and other minerals, using aragamud, mineral mud or miracle mud is a great form to controle this needs and improving the grouth.

The water flow inside the mangrove greenhouse is connected to the main pump system the flow is around 1000 lt/h, tomorrow i'll put some pics to give you the idea.

The greenhouse is not totaly closed, i have crack around 5 mm around the cover top, this associated to fact that the greenhouse is outside whith a good wind/air circulation should be suficient, but with time will see.

Forte Abraço

Pestana
Old 10/27/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Nicely put Vitor, nicely put! --

I love you ideas my friend, that fuge is a fantastic idea.
Dying to see how it goes, keep posting the pics.

I'm lovin it!

Regards
Conor.
Old 10/27/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

I love it when you can update with new idea's. I like the simplicity of what you are doing, and can't wait to see how it works out for you, favourably I hope

Cheers and well done as usual,

Chris
Old 11/20/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Hi guys!

Long time no see, i have been busy.

i left you the update of my refugium, my phofates and nitrate drop to almost zero, and as you can see i had a god algea and mangrove growth:

Some pics of the tank:

Regards;

Pestana
Old 11/20/2007, 03:25 PM
TRC Leader

Vitor, can you please explain how the water flows in the refugium? Since I only saw one hole & bulkhead, I don't understand it.
Old 11/20/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

Is this tank at all visible from the sides, or does the tank only have a top view?
Old 11/20/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Marc - if you look a few post up from Pestana the first pic of the refugium shows an inlet and output bulkhead.
Old 11/20/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Vitor, can you please explain how the water flows in the refugium? Since I only saw one hole & bulkhead, I don't understand it.
Hello Melev!

Take a look at this pic:

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefSparky
Is this tank at all visible from the sides, or does the tank only have a top view?
Hi Reefsparky!

I only have a top view, just like a reef puddle.

Quote:
Originally posted by rottface4
Marc - if you look a few post up from Pestana the first pic of the refugium shows an inlet and output bulkhead.
Hi rottface4!

That's correct!

Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 11/20/2007, 06:59 PM
TRC Leader

Is the white thing the input?
http://reffphotos.com.sapo.pt/DSC02876.JPG
Old 11/20/2007, 07:01 PM
TRC Leader

I can't see a picture in your post from 5:57pm.