Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/08/2007, 09:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serum153
And here I thought the worms I had were enormous. Beautiful tank
There are a bunch larger than that. It was just strange they were out and about without it being feeding time.
Old 04/27/2007, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

time to wake up the list. my 75 has been running for 18 months now. i have 3 pistol shrimp and 2 of these live in the same cave so i assume they are a pair. this morning while feeding i,m sure i saw a pistol shrimp that was about a 1/4"long in a hole in the rock. is it possible they have breed in the tank?has anyone heard of this happening?
Old 04/27/2007, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

I'm guilty as ever for not posting on rc...

I'd imagine it's unlikely...since it would have to be some zooplankton that somehow dodges your pumps/filter feeders, molts, becomes a shrimp and grows up.

Perhaps the previous clicking was from multiple pistols that you had thought was just one?
Old 04/28/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

phil, again i have 3 , 2 of which are a pair. and i,m sure i saw the baby pistol.
Old 04/28/2007, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

Bob, I have no idea, but chances are the 3 were in there all along, and you just never saw the other one.
I remember before I sold some of the TBS, there were DOZENS of tiny pistols in there. I'd see one or 2 in the same spot for the longest time. I removed some of the rock from the tank and heard popping throughout the rock I took out, while still seeing the couple I always saw.
I still have my large orange/blue one in there, and it molts all the time. I know there are more in there because I can be looking at the orange one, and hear popping in different parts of the tank at the same time...yet I don't see any others, only the orange one.
Old 04/29/2007, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

pat, yes there were 3 adults all along. now i,m seeing one thats 1/4" long. i can't believe it came in with the rock 18 months ago and only grew that big. thats why i,m thinking they breed
Old 05/10/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

i now made a positive id on baby pistol shrimp. 1/4 to 3/8 long and still a dark clear color. the tank is running over 18 months now so it's likely they were born/ hatched in the tank
Old 05/10/2007, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
i now made a positive id on baby pistol shrimp. 1/4 to 3/8 long and still a dark clear color. the tank is running over 18 months now so it's likely they were born/ hatched in the tank
That is so cool then!
I had gotten an email from Dennis recently, and he was telling me about his coral growth after switching away from Kent salt. He sent me pictures showing the before/after shots, and it was amazing.

We're still using Kent, so now maybe I know why corals don't grow in the tank. I showed Bob the pictures and he was amazed too. He said we'll get a different brand of salt next time we need some. Hopefully that will help things grow in the tank.

We barely have any coralline algae in it, even after doing turbo calcium. I just don't understand it.
Old 05/10/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

my coral growth is excellent with io. i boost the cal a little when mixing a batch, but i like the high alk [11dk]. that frag of hammer you gave me now has at least 10 heads and i really should cut it back. the io is a pretty good price at pw and he always has it. i'll shoot you some pics over the weekend.
Old 05/10/2007, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

The switched was from Kent to IO salt.
Old 05/11/2007, 05:48 AM
Premium Member

Well, I'm going to try it next time we have to buy salt and see if we get good results like you two have had.

Bob says he has almost a full bucket of the Kent left, so it'll be a while.
Old 05/11/2007, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

I have been having so many algae problems lately that for the last few weeks I have been doing weekly water changes. Needless to say, my salt doesn't last too long.
Old 05/11/2007, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

We've never had algae problems....even that doesn't grow in the tank.
Only the fish do.
Old 05/11/2007, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Hi everyone! Nice to see the thread active agin.

I use IO as well. I'm going to do a water change tonight (hopefully) and I'll try to take some new pictures. I'm still battling algae so they may not be the prettiest pics but I got some new corals a few weeks ago that I haven't posted pictures of yet.
Old 05/11/2007, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

Can't wait to see them.

I have such trouble getting nice pictures with the acrylic tank. When I had my glass tank, I could get really nice clear shots. But everything seems distorted when I try it with this tank.
Old 05/11/2007, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

As promised....

Ok so these are not the best quality pictures that I've ever taken but I promised pictures.

Here's my new corals:

Candy Cane (freebie)

Galaxea (I've wanted one since I got my tank but always held off because of their powerful stinging capabilities, but I finally decided I had a good spot for it)

New Zoas

Pocillopora:

I also got some neon green clove polyps but as soon as I did a water change, they closed up and have yet to open so I'll try to get a pic of them later.
Old 05/11/2007, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

And now some random shots...

(Since I had the camera out )

Old 05/11/2007, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

Last ones....

Old 05/12/2007, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Danielle, Tank is looking great!
Old 05/12/2007, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Dennis!

My clove polyps opened up this morning so I snapped a couple pictures:

Ok I've done my part. Now it's someone else's turn to post pics
Old 05/12/2007, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

gorgeous...it's a long story but am starting over. The old tank still exists but it's back in ny. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

i'm still trying to find my way in nj...(new stores, new reefers to trade with etc.). Of course the house is taking up more time than anticipated...but that's because i've been a city guy for all my life.
Old 05/18/2007, 09:13 AM
Premium Member

Phil, I'm in Jersey too. Be happy to tell you about LFS that I've found. (i'm Hudson County NJ)

Need to post some new pics. Just got what I think will be the final fish additions for my tank. Got a powder brown tang and 2 schooling bannerfish (Heniochus diphreutes) We'll see if the bannerfish live up to their reef-safe butterflyfish status!

Question for you TBS reefers with the purple serpent stars. Have you ever noticed them preying on shrimp? I'm missing one each from my pairs of peppermint and skunk cleaners, and there are no other predators in my tank that I can think of. All of my fish are pacifists. The other option is that they died of natural causes or some water quality issue. Will be doing a full battery of tests this weekend!
Old 05/26/2007, 01:34 AM
Premium Member

Hi there, Our Tbs-ers,

I'm a newbie...but it's all your fault! I started reading the link from Richard's site and got hooked on this stuff just from reading your posts! (that, and all the pics helped a lot too!)

I quickly ordered my very own tbs package and have been very happy with my new adventure....I'm in the cycle stage of part 1 right now and haven't had more than 4-5 hours of sleep a nite since it arrived. Can't keep my eyes off of it!

Just wanted to thank each and every one of you that have contributed to this thread, for all of the info, insight, and mostly for encouraging me to go thru with one of my favorite dreams...a saltwater tank. You have all made this gals SW(eet) tank dream come true. Again, thank you!!

Please keep posting! You have no idea just how much you help newbies.....newbies that you don't even know are listening in!
Old 06/07/2007, 09:11 PM
the cattleman

krajacich,
where in Montana are you?
PO4=0ppm, ideal

1/06/08 after a water change
Ca= 480ppm, still a little high
pH= 8.2, I'd like it at 8.3
NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 06/08/2007, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote: