Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2007, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MGB
James,
Can you give me some feedback as to your lighting fixture, model, reasons for choice over competitors.
I'm trying to figure out which way to go with a HQI/t5 fixture, and its really hard to get practicle reviews of the european stuff, since so few guys are usinf it over here, thanks.
It's Sifiligoi Infinity HQI 2 x 250w (10k Ushio/BLV) with 2 x 54w T5. I went w/ this 48" fixture b/c I wanted the sunrise/sunset effect plus the fixture looked really cool in the pictures.

I would have gone w/ Giesemann or Elos, but Will Aquarium Obsessed) gave me an offer that was too good to turn down. I know some people who had problems w/ this fixture, but I couldn't be happier w/ mine.

Thanks,

James
Old 01/04/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

James, Would you mind if I tagged along after the meeting on saturday as well to check out your tank?
Old 01/09/2007, 06:09 PM
TRC Leader

James showed me his stunning tank on Saturday afternoon. I took a few pictures. It was worth the visit.

I love how his fish were out and about all the time, and how clean everything was. All his little coral frags look like the rarest stuff rather than the regular pieces we tend to see.

If he stays on track, this tank will be amazing in 9 more months.
Old 01/09/2007, 09:21 PM

Melev, I love the full tank shot!! I think you got James beat on this one! Your going to have to come take pics of mine later! Did you use Flash on that pic?
Old 01/09/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Old 01/09/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

amazing tank i want almost the same exact setup however finding a reasonably priced tank in CA with starfire has been tough unless its joe shmoes causin who built it... keep up the good work~
Old 01/09/2007, 10:05 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Melev, I love the full tank shot!! I think you got James beat on this one! Your going to have to come take pics of mine later! Did you use Flash on that pic?
Yes, I did. James' close up pictures are amazing though, easily better than my shots.
Old 01/09/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

James, how do you clean your back glass so well? I dont see any space between the wall and the tank for a magnet... how do you do it!? Amaze me everything i look at your tank!
Old 01/09/2007, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

I got a chance to see James' tank in person this past weekend.. It's just stunning how he keep everything (the tank, rocks, corals, cabinets) so neat and clean! Cant wait to see all those rare frags to grow into colonies so i can get some frags of
Old 01/09/2007, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

Fload, I know couple of people out of state ordering tanks from AE. You should give them a call or email.

Richard, I just use the kent scrapper once a week. It's really not that hard b/c of the open top. I just got to make sure that I do it every week.

Marc, you definitely beat me on the fts! Thanks for stopping by my place. Hopefully in 9 months, you can stop for few frags. Fishcraze, I owe you big time for you Purple Slimer frag. It's freaking glowing purple in my tank.

Marc, isn't this what my orange danae look a like in person?

Thanks,

James
Old 01/10/2007, 12:10 AM
TRC Leader

Well, you have to remember your shot is from above while mine was from the side. And your lighting might have been on "cloudy day" or "looming tornado" or "virtual katrina" that day.

I think either shot is pretty accurate. As you can see, I shot mine from the front, while you took yours from above and behind. Note the reddish algae in the corner of the coral.
Old 01/10/2007, 12:42 AM
Premium Member

You got me Marc. I forgot that I took that shot using your topdown box. I'll see you in February. Fishgallery just got in their monster freshwater tank 20' x 7' x 4' The acrylic is 2.5" thick.

James
Old 01/10/2007, 12:48 AM
| ~ |

I can attest to the color of that m. danae James. I've got one as well, and they are UNREAL! Fabulous tank !!!
Old 01/10/2007, 01:32 AM
TRC Leader

I finished editing my pictures of your tank James. I'll add them here just for the sake of documentation.

He made the cardinal mistake of feeding the tank right before I took pictures. so you may see specks floating around in these images. I removed what I could.

Old 01/10/2007, 01:32 AM
TRC Leader

Old 01/10/2007, 01:34 AM
TRC Leader

Some of these images were overexposed unfortunately, like the Dendrophylia in that last post. Sorry about that. Did you see his pipe fish?!

Old 01/10/2007, 02:47 AM
Premium Member

Outstanding James, thanks for sharing.

Great pics Marc. Question on the Top Down box, does the depth of the box vary with the lens/camera used? For example, My D70 will eventually get a 100 or 105 macro, should I wait until then before purchasing the box?

All these tanks around the Houston area ALMOST makes me want to move.

CAReefer
Old 01/10/2007, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

Hi James, looking really nice. I wanted to know how much evaporation you are seeing. Also, I can't see the power cord for the overhead lighting, is it a single cord you have hiding somewhere or more than one? And, one more question, do you see any salt creep at all with this setup?
Old 01/10/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Very nice tank and pics. I do have a question about the pic I borrowed from Marc. Where are the power cords for the light fixture? Have you figured out a way to light them without electricity?

Old 01/10/2007, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the great pics Marc. I thought I was talking to you the whole time. I didn't realize you took all those nice pictures.

Marshal, I'm using D20 w/ canon 100 macro lens. Does that help?

I got my LM3 to 9.56 liters per day on a reverse light cycle. So about 2.5 gallons a day. Yes it's one single cord coming down on the left side of my tank. I don't have any salt creep at all w/ my open top setup.

Thanks,

James
Old 01/10/2007, 01:22 PM
clownfish fan

totm totfm
Old 01/10/2007, 05:18 PM
TRC Leader

James, darn you...

Because of your sweet sweet tank, I decided to clean my overflows and back wall. Not so easy as my corals are larger, but I only created one tiny crayola frag in the process. The back of my tank has looked like crap for weeks, so I thought I'd do it "the Naka way."

The water is still clearing, and Spock got a great meal of food liberated from the vertical surfaces of my tank. I'll probably take a full tank shot tomorrow. It's our meeting tonight.
Old 01/10/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tremelle
Very nice tank and pics. I do have a question about the pic I borrowed from Marc. Where are the power cords for the light fixture? Have you figured out a way to light them without electricity?

off top left corner to trim of bookcase and down it's edge, i believe

Stunning Tank!

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 01/10/2007, 05:50 PM
Brace yourself!

Great tank Naka! I'm upgrading to a smaller (36x24x18H 60g) but very similar setup.

I really like the Sifiligoi systems, but I'm married to my Lumenarc at the moment. Those fixtures are really nice!
Old 01/10/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

I saw the twin sister to this tank over at Village Tropical here in Houston and the empty tank was beautiful by itself!!!!!!!

The pics of the actual tank with all the goodies is A-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!