Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2007, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy Concerned ?????

I just got my AquaC EV180 delivered and I had a few concerns. Would like some input for all of you that currently have the EV180 or any of the EV series skimmers.

Just a couple of concerns I have with my new skimmer. I have yet to install it.

First concern not that big of a deal but….. The AquaC sticker on the lift tube is peeling off??? Again not that big of deal but come on I paid close to 400.00 for this skimmer and pump. I would expect for it to be in better shape.

My second and major concern…. When I first twisted off the lid to the collection cup it was very tight. It made a tight seal. Since I removed it for the very first time; when I go to twist it back on its kind of loose. I’m also having the same issue with the collection cup where it connects to the lift tube, I removed it by twisting it off and now it twists back on but it doesn’t seem to make that tight seal?

Is this normal?

Old 09/18/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

I cannot speak to your first comment, as my sticker is still where is was when I purchased the skimmer and is not peeling at all. Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind if mine did come off unless it left a stickly film in it's place. It really just blocks part of the view anyways.

As for your second question, unless your EV180 is different than my EV150, neither the collection cup lid or cup itself actually screws on or off. Both just sit on top of the piece below it. It does not seem tight, but neither place has ever leaked a drop on mine. I do get salt creep around the base of the riser, but I think that is expected and even addressed in the user documentation. Hope this helps.
Old 09/18/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Yah mine is defiantly designed to twist off for cleaning. How else are you supposed to clean it.
Old 09/18/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

the only thing that ius supposed to be up by the discconects is foam, no water therefore leaks are not an issue. only time mine leaks is when my auto waste container gets full and pressure builds in the tower. even then its just a few drips. the older ev series had the salt creep problem around the base of the foam tower, its been cleared up on the new ones.

just so you know you don't want to smoke in the room with the skimmer and keep your hands out of the tank. both these things cause the skimmer to lose its foam head. i think these are the reasons most people don't get good performance out of these skimmers. that and make shure the pump is pulling out of a constant water level.
Old 09/18/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Another thing I noticed that shuts my skimmer down is air fresheners. Most notably, those glade plugin types. Whenever I replace the cartridges, my skimmer quits working for almost a week.

Chopsuey, try just pulling the top off and setting it back on. You shouldn't have to screw it and it won't leak. It is made to come apart without screwing.
Old 09/18/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Hey chopsuey,
I think your only problem is with the peeling sticker. The first time I unscrew the collection cup I ran into the same thing. I think it's because of the sticky surface of the new gasket. I personnally prefer that it's not too sticky. It makes removing the collection cup and cap so much easier. It never leaked on me before either.

If you like the airtight effect, you can always use silicone lubricant to keep the gasket moist. I did it once, and I'll never do it again.

Old 09/18/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

I would not use the lubricant. These skimmer are finicky with new substances. Mine doesn't even have a gasket. Just plastic on both sides. There is a little gunk that builds up between them, but that doesn't bother me a bit. I would much rather clean that when I clean the cup than have to screw it on and off everytime.
Old 09/18/2007, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

They don't "screw on" but they (well, at least mine) don't just set there either. I don't know what you call it...the male part is flanged, it fits in only one way (technically two ways I guess) and then you twist it so it can't just fall off. It is actually pretty tight...but if it comes off pretty easily, then that seems like it would be a good thing to me. Its not really supposed to be pressurized, air has to escape for it to work.

jds
Old 09/18/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

scott look on the bottom of the cup, the gasket should be there. weird if its not. no biggie though
Old 09/18/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Definitely no gasket, but it hasn't affected performance as far as I can tell. I've cleaned it many times, just plastic.
Old 09/18/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

ScottL4619,
Which skimmer model are you using?

I agree with not using the lubricant. It's never in contact with the foam to affect it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you happen to use it.

I have a waste container connected to my collection cup. If the waste container is full, it'll cut off the air supply and shut down the foam. In my case, it saved me once when I'd set my skimmer to skim too wet, and almost flooded my house. If there was an air leak between the gaskets, the foam production would still continue, and would have ended up with a flood.
Old 09/18/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottL4619
Another thing I noticed that shuts my skimmer down is air fresheners. Most notably, those glade plugin types. Whenever I replace the cartridges, my skimmer quits working for almost a week.
Guys,
Here is an easy solution to your foam problem due to greasy/dirty air. My skimmer is only a few feet away from the kitchen and I have a smoker in the house. I posted a while back.

I use a 1" PVC cap drilled with holes, a piece of 1" PVC pipe, and a 1" to 3/4" PVC elbow. I just shove some cotton at the bottom, fill the 1" PVC pipe with carbon, and cap it. I use a piece of vinyl tube to connect the thing to the skimmer. It works like a charm!

Old 09/18/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

I'm having a hard time getting my EV120 (1" injector with Mag 700) to skim somewhere between super wet and super dry. I have the water level to just above the interior platform. And I adjust the skimmate with the air valve.

The air valve is at about 50%. But just a tiny touch of the air valve seems to take it from "so dry it barely makes it out of the tube and gunks it up in a hurry" to "I just skimmed a gallon of clear tank water in 8 hours."

Anyone have any tips here?
12.21@118mph
46 gallon bowfront (not installed in the car)
Old 09/20/2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Ok, I think I figured out the problem with my skimmer. Basically, I have too much flow now with the Mag 7 and the 1" injector. So I'm going to buy a ball valve to restrict the pump output a little.

I came to this conclusion because with the water level as low as I can get it, I have 2 settings with the skimmer, either off or super wet. There is no inbetween. When I give it any air at all, the tiny foam goes almost all the way up the tube, and it bubbles large, very wet bubbles all the way out into the cup.

I think if I dial back the flow, I'll actually get foam fractioning, as opposed to what I get now, which is tank water output.
12.21@118mph
46 gallon bowfront (not installed in the car)
Old 09/20/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Is the 1" injector the connection for the hose coming from the pump into the skimmer? If so how do you connect the mag 7 skimmer to it when the mag 7 connects to a 3/4" hose?
Old 09/20/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Is the 1" injector the connection for the hose coming from the pump into the skimmer? If so how do you connect the mag 7 skimmer to it when the mag 7 connects to a 3/4" hose?
Old 09/20/2007, 03:33 PM
ummmmmm yeah

So today I joined the club with a big boy. The EV-1000, what a monster!!! Talk about big. I will be installing tonight and pulling out crud like mad soon....
Old 09/21/2007, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

ook just bought and installed a EV 120 into my sump. Thw water lvl is set to just under the opening of the gate valve. Gate valve is completely open and i have the air valve open about half way. I have a mag 5 hooked up and all i am getting is super thin water collecting into the skimmer cup its been running about 2 days any ideas what is wrong
Old 09/21/2007, 10:17 PM
Jammin' with live rock

chewieee.... Do you mean the water level in your sump is just under the gate? Where is the water level in the box? I'd wait a week to make any final judgements, as it may take that long to fully break in. Having said that though, I myself would use a mag 7 or eheim 1260 with the ev120 and gate valve the pump if needed.
Old 09/21/2007, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

yes water lvl in sump is just under the openin g to the gate valve , is that correct? the water lvl in skimmer is just to the top of the black box
Old 09/21/2007, 10:47 PM
Jammin' with live rock

Yes, that does sound good. After 5-7 days, you'll be able to tinker with it and find where you like it set at best.

FWIW, I like the water level in the box best just out of sight in the foam tower. That level will change with air valve tinkering also, so after the air is set where I want it, I raise the water line in the box until I can see it in the tower, and then lower it little by little until I no longer see any of the wave lines in the tower.
Old 09/21/2007, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

for the break in period should i just keep the air valve completely open
Old 09/21/2007, 10:58 PM
Jammin' with live rock

That would be a recipe for a flood, as when it kicks in, it could wet skim like mad. I'd point the blue arm no higher than the top corner of the grey fitting. That should be a good safe spot and very close to where it may end up.
Old 09/21/2007, 11:05 PM
Premium Member

can you post a pic of how the skimmer should look in the sump
Old 09/21/2007, 11:06 PM
Jammin' with live rock

Yeah, gimme a sec to look over my photobucket account, and I'll edit this very post asap.

Wow, that's small. I'll dig up some more.