Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2004, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

difference in pinwheel design

Klaus, would your pinwheel design produce a smaller bubble than say an Deltec or a H&S skimmer.If so explain why?
sincerely
bernie lyons
Old 09/18/2004, 06:55 PM
-

Re: difference in pinwheel design

Quote:
Originally posted by bernie lyons
Klaus, would your pinwheel design produce a smaller bubble than say an Deltec or a H&S skimmer.If so explain why?
sincerely
bernie lyons
well i guess any company that starts to compare there product on RC will get in troubel, dont think people would be happy to see that, if he answers your question,

it would be seen as commercial, in here, klaus is new to RC and i dont want him "moved on".

is good for all off us that more and more owner off companys come to RC like Jeff from ER and Klaus the owner of RE, and thomas owner from grotech and so on, they will see what we all complain about and make the product better

its sure, that every company thinks there product is better then any other, at least that's what they tell us,

that's just my opinon
Old 09/18/2004, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

explanation

Well, perhaps explain why the titanium pinwheel over the plastic ones and other "innovative" ideas that make the bubble kings unique !
cheers
bernie lyons
Old 09/18/2004, 08:43 PM
On hobby time out!

Quote:
Originally posted by Heinz
dgasmd

no matter what skimmer you get, i sure hope you will post some pictures, so we can see what munster you got

are you planing on posting the pictures of your new set up ? did you take pictures along the way when you build it ?

what can i say i just love tank building threads
Heinz:

I do take tons of pictures. I decided against doing a thread here in RC about the tank build because of the way most turn. Very few end the way they begin.
Old 09/18/2004, 10:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally posted by dgasmd
Heinz:

I do take tons of pictures. I decided against doing a thread here in RC about the tank build because of the way most turn. Very few end the way they begin.

sorry to hear that,
Old 09/19/2004, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dgasmd
What are the diameter in the chamber of the 300, 400, and 650?
Dear dgasmd,
the number 300, 400, 650 is is the diameter in mm....

Klaus
Old 09/19/2004, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Klaus what would be the cost of a spare pump for the skimmer?
Old 09/19/2004, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

Re: difference in pinwheel design

Quote:
Originally posted by bernie lyons
sincerely
bernie lyons
Dear bernie,
we cannot answer whether the bubbles are greater or smaller, here. The first skimmers will be delivered in the USA soon and their experiences in Reef-Central become the owners publish. We can and may not make these statements.Around pardon, please

Best regards.... klaus
Old 09/19/2004, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RGibson
Klaus what would be the cost of a spare pump for the skimmer?
Dear Gibson,
which size or which model?

Klaus
Old 09/19/2004, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

The 300
Old 09/19/2004, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

I am debating between skimmers on a pair of new tanks. Bubble King and Schuran are two at the top of the list.

I have had recommendations for many different brands but am very very curious on these two. Do we know when the first shipment is coming? I think I am one asking about those actually.

The issue still is one of cost as well as efficiency. That quite honestly is the struggle. I have no doubts either skimmer would be excellent, but how much more efficient and at what cost. If even possible to quantify (which I have my doubts) and a 5% gain in efficiency existed, but yet the cost was double, I am not convinced I can justify that.

Part of my debate here. I appreciate this thread and dg it would be good to chat at some point and compare some notes.

Kip
Old 09/19/2004, 08:00 PM
Member of NJRC

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus Jansen
Dear, Montepora....
this is correct.... in the middle of next week..

Klaus
Klaus:

Yeah, we are very excited about this. Perhaps you should give him a certificate stating that his unit is indeed the first one in the US??
Old 09/25/2004, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

I dont think that there is a difference between all that european skimmers that you have talked about them. They all use the same patent (needle).
The real question is the difference between the european skimmer end the american skimmer like the ets and the becket skimmer.
I am not surprise that the europeans used their skimmers like they are useing their cars and......
My opinion is that the eurpean skimmer is working well and quiet, but expensive and he is also gentle. If you need to replase the impellor or the pump it will not be cheap.
For the becket or the ets you need just a usual pump (a strong pump) and it is little bit noisy. it's work very well and it is good for large aquarium.
Old 09/25/2004, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Nice observations baruchbl. The V8 versus the I-5 turbo.
Old 09/25/2004, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tacocat
Nice observations baruchbl. The V8 versus the I-5 turbo.
Finally someone has figured out the difference. American muscle, I love it.
Old 09/25/2004, 02:13 PM
Defender against ICH

Quote:
Originally posted by montepora
I heard someone on this board is getting a bubble king. I heard it is on its way to NY. I was promised that the king won't go into the water without me there....

This is something I have to see.....
I have heard this as well...and I too am curious as to how it works out. I cant wait for the pm or thread on it.

"He who has large reef tank has small wallet"
Old 09/25/2004, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

There are a number of differences between needle wheel skimmers. The method used to create foam is only one factor determining how efficient a skimmer is. There are even differences in the type of needle wheel used that would impact bubble size.

Art

Change your thoughts and you change your world.
Old 09/25/2004, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Bubble King Thread
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ubble+AND+king
Old 09/25/2004, 06:32 PM
On hobby time out!

That is amazing. An 8 page thread about a skimmer nobody has seen, nobody in the US has, that nobody here has, nobody that has one can say anything about it personally here, and that just came in the market less a few months ago. Just amazing.
Old 09/25/2004, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Alberto,

I understand what you're saying but...

There has been quite a bit of talk about the skimmer with the owner of the company. The skimmer does have some innovative features that are worth discussing. Certainly you'd want to understand these before purchasing the skimmer.

A US importer has been named and the first skimmers are making their way to the US. Stay tuned for the reviews.

Art

Old 09/25/2004, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

No doubt Art, for that kind of money, I want to know the part numbers for replacement parts. BTW, I don't know if I like those colors or not. The thing did cause quite a stir at MACNA. It made styrofoam out of the Boston Harbor water.
Old 09/27/2004, 01:58 PM
On hobby time out!

Quote:
Originally posted by tacocat
The thing did cause quite a stir at MACNA. It made styrofoam out of the Boston Harbor water.
No trying to knock down the skimmer or its ability by any means, but I would venture to suspect that even a straw blown into the container with the harbor water (ultra ultra dirty) would have made good foam. There was nothing else there to compare them, so it is hard to judge by that alone. It is like saying that a car was extremely fast in a street where it was the single car there.
Old 09/27/2004, 02:05 PM
How YOU doin?

I agree, which is why I was hoping someone could post somewater parameters. Of course, there's probably plenty of stuff in there we wouldn't test for, so...

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 09/27/2004, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Well, I agree with your comments but I was more concerned about the bubble size being created by the skimmer. Yes, a straw certainly can create a good foam if the water is dirty enough, but it won't create the micro-bubbles that are the hallmark of a very efficient skimmer.

This type of bubble production is impressive:

Art

Old 09/27/2004, 02:18 PM
On hobby time out!

Art:

I seriously hope you are very correct about this. I am looking forward to the people getting one here to make personal comments ont hem and compare them to something else they have used before so we ahhve a point of reference. If this things is half as good as advertised, I would be the first to put up some pictures once I get mine.