Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

well, it's something. I just quick and dirtied a air noise reducer out of a quick dip test strip bottle... and now all i can hear is the hum of the pump, which isn't too much louder than the original sound. But it is vibrating a little. Hopefully it's not out of balance in there. Not like it really matters since I have an extra pump now if need be.

No kidding, if there wasn't going to be a micro bubble problem w/ this thing, there's enough flow coming out of the return pipe that I could probably down grade my Seio's! j/k. I like the flow though, it's definitely getting the surface scum. I'm going to stay up a while and let this thing break in a little, see if I get any action before I turn it off.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/07/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

its probaly the pump, I wonder how your going to fit a tube at the end of the volute cover. You hacked off the end so the old tubes teeth are still intack. Unless you manage to yank it out. And that definetly alot of bubbles way more than mine and its super fine from looking at the pictures. If it was going to flood it would of done it, I highly doubt its going to flood. Now your going to have to let it break in than fix your dam and your bubble killer.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I'm hoping that it just settles in and I don't have to do anything. The dam's working great right now. Before if I had one side set at like 3/4-1" depth, you couldn't see any ripples in water in the box.. now you can. And I think if I add a coupling to the bubble eliminator to get it closer to the surface, it'll help. But I'll wait. I just didn't know if I should let it work over night or not because I can't keep an eye on the skimmate.. you never know if it gets a wild hair up its butt and pulls a cup a night or something dumb like that. Wouldn't that be a huge problem, having to add a drain line to the collection cup to a 1g reservoir

Old 12/07/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

So right now the pump is pulling 4scfm? I have no idea how you can add a exit pipe to the cup. Unless its at a set lvl tha maybe?

Hmm I took a closer look in the intake, it doesnt look like that grey cap was screwed on

A little sanding to smooth it out and buy a attachment would work just well. But right now you have to decide if you want to keep the water that fast or slow it down?
Old 12/07/2007, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

I think the only way to decide that is to let it break in and see what's up then. The gray cap was definitely NOT screwed in. Even after hack sawing it off I had to dremel out the rest.. it was more than superglued in there. Right this second, the air flow meter says more like right at 3ish, which is sad, just think at how little air that thing is drawing in stock! If the Rogue is at 35.. wow. But their reaction chamber also looks a lot bigger than ours.

Old 12/07/2007, 11:39 PM
One Good Friend

Just raise the collection cup as high as it'll go and go to bed. No worries as if it overflowed the skimmate would just go back into the skimmer right?
Old 12/07/2007, 11:40 PM
Premium Member

sorry, when I say 3ish, I mean the middle of the ball, the top is at 4/5. I dont know what part I'm supposed to be reading so I'm just throwing numbers out I guess.

Old 12/07/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Just raise the collection cup as high as it'll go and go to bed. No worries as if it overflowed the skimmate would just go back into the skimmer right?
Yeah if it did overflow it'd just go back down the tube.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

Very true luke.. it would just go back into the skimmer. I don't think it's going to do much for a little while anyway, I just cleaned the cup so I could get an accurate measurement of how much I'm getting in how much time. I don't even see bubbles going up the riser tube yet.

Old 12/07/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzeadow
sorry, when I say 3ish, I mean the middle of the ball, the top is at 4/5. I dont know what part I'm supposed to be reading so I'm just throwing numbers out I guess.
so its 4/5 scfm? The rogue luke has, has been modded to the extremem with a 1kgph pump, and ours is only 255gph, thats a pretty big difference. But luke hasn't tested a mag 5 or 7, and who knows if its 35sfcm. As long as its double the amount of air draw you get than its double skimmate thats what I think. Still really impressive, might have to yank mine down sometime to try it out.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

We'll see what's up here in a day or so. I'm not going to be overly impressed until I see some results... right now it's just spitting out more bubbles and more flow!

Old 12/07/2007, 11:49 PM
One Good Friend

Well, it generally takes a day or so for the enkamat to break in as your scfh will go up a bit. It also has to break in which usually takes a day or so, so no worries.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Once a pump is meshed it takes I think a day before you start seeing bubbles go up the riser tube. So is it set on dry or wet lol? You'll probaly figure out something to stop the micros, and most will die down.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

let's just hope w/ all this breaking in that the fishing line doesn't just break period! I used some line that was on a fishing pole that hasn't been used for a while, but it was in doors so the line shouldn't have been rotted. I checked it by pulling on it and it didn't break. but i used a smaller diameter line... but it was like spider wire or something, 10lb test, so hopefully it'll be ok. I think out of everything that's going on that'd be the one major concern I have. But if it fails, I'll just go get some new stuff and re mesh it, now that I know what's going on it's no big deal.

Old 12/07/2007, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

I set the cup at the same orientation as it was before. The bottom of the cup is sitting on the thicker layer of bubbles at the top.

Old 12/07/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

Thats the same kind of fishing line I used on the genx1k. Its more than enough, its not like your fishing for whales. I bet after this your probaly itching on meshing another pump just for the fun of it. Maybe that new octo nano
Old 12/07/2007, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

I think that pump will be too small! The mesh has huge holes in it... but we'll see. They actually have to get them in the states before I can think about doing anything with it. Did you see that guy from Australia's a few pages back actually got his on eBay, it's an older model. I hope we get the ones with the gray pipes, it looks much better construction wise.

Old 12/08/2007, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

The euroreef nano's come with mesh imellers. I only noticed the difference in tubing color but it should proform the ssame right? So do you think that pump would draw in anymore air if you stuck a 1/4 tube on it?
Old 12/08/2007, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

I think maybe alittle restriction on the intake would be on to lower the water alittle. But We'll have to see how yours dose.

Koralteks still has the endcap on his pump and his doesnt look like its that high like yours
Old 12/08/2007, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

I dunno.. the pump's definitely getting more flow, but I don't know if it could handle the wider diameter. When I put the 3/16" adapter on before I cut off their venturi, it didn't pull squat, like the ball on the air meter didn't move hardly. So it does have a lot to do with how much water you're pulling too. Like Luke said, I bet the pump went from 225 to 290ish gph.

Old 12/08/2007, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

It'd be nice if I could get my hands on an air flow meter that went from 0-10 so I could see exactly where this thing is.

Old 12/08/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

where'd you get a 3/16 adapter? I don't recall seeing it at lowes. Yeah the gph is what makes the difference in air pull, but if you didnt want the water in the reaction chamber so high I guess you could do what luke said and add a extended tube to it to slow down the gph. Now you just have to do the final tweaking.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzeadow
It'd be nice if I could get my hands on an air flow meter that went from 0-10 so I could see exactly where this thing is.
ask for a exchange and say yours is out of whack and you demand a replacement
Old 12/08/2007, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

I actually used a 3/16 nylon bushing from the nuts/bolts isle. I sliced some of it off at an angle then used my bench grinder to get it right. If I did it again, I'd do what luke said and definitely drill the hole a lot closer to the impeller hub in the volute. if you go the nylon bushing route, you have to either sand or grind the non sliced side down so that you can actually get an airline on it since the outside is too big and would probably fit 1/4" tubing better.. or you could just get the 1/4 tubing!

Old 12/08/2007, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

well I'm out for the night.. I'll update in the morning if there's anything worth updating!