Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/08/2007, 07:24 PM
See Ya ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by kypatriot
Is there a PhD who can get the individual ingredients of Tech-M, some grad students, and some bryopsis, and experiment with each component?

Or how about a grad student that would like a paper to publish?

I wish...look at how long a cure for acro eating flatworms is taking. Most people bury their heads in the sand to avoid talking about them or say they do not have...

This hobby tends to get easier and harder at the same time.

Grant
Old 07/08/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

So refresh me....what is the mixture for Epsom Salt to water to make a decent additive?
Old 07/09/2007, 06:32 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 07/09/2007, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cichlid nutz
So refresh me....what is the mixture for Epsom Salt to water to make a decent additive?
Not quite sure how you mean cichlid nutz.

If you mean a mix that is in ionic balance, you mix 10 parts of magnesium chloride, with 1 part epsom salts, and disslove in water. This will have close to the same ionic balance as seawater.

But if you just want to use straight epsom salt as a magnesium supplement, just mix it with water, then dose to your tank as required to boost magnesium to whatever level you want. As epsom salt is Magnesium Sulphate, this will result in you getting a buildup of sulphate ions to a higher level then seawater, however as long as you don't overdo it, won't matter too much.
If you need a source of magnesium chloride, you can get really pure medical grade, fairly expensive, or less pure but very cheap grade that I use, from most swimming pool shops, around 15 bucks for a 60 lb sack.
Old 07/09/2007, 08:49 AM
"Old Yeller"

Quote:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
Old 07/09/2007, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Well here's what I did last night. I cut off the flow to and from my main to the frag tank, which is what is overrun. Then I just dumped tons of tech M in there, so we'll see shortly.
Old 07/09/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

I'd be careful with "just dumping" in tons of Tech M. It's been known to cause corals to bleach if you raise your mag too quickly with it. My toadstools and sinularia bleached from it. They all recovered in a couple months, though.
Old 07/09/2007, 09:41 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by RevHtree
Well here's what I did last night. I cut off the flow to and from my main to the frag tank, which is what is overrun. Then I just dumped tons of tech M in there, so we'll see shortly.
Are you using eggcrate in your overrun fragtank?
Old 07/09/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

I suppose i meant to ask is, how much water to how much epsom, or does it matter? Don't want too concentrated a mixture.
Old 07/09/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Feel like i'm asking stupid questions now
Old 07/09/2007, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

Yes I do have the eggcrate.

Also I took out all the more precious pieces to me before I dumped the tech M in. As I mentioned I also closed the loop to the main sump and the display tank.
Old 07/09/2007, 10:53 AM
"Old Yeller"

Quote:
I suppose i meant to ask is, how much water to how much epsom, or does it matter? Don't want too concentrated a mixture.
If you read the link I posted, it tells you
Old 07/09/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Randall, that will help get me started. I'll post results.
Old 07/09/2007, 11:47 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
There are two different formulations depending if you are already adding chlorides and sodium in your calcium and alkalinity supplement or not. If you use two part systems based on Calcium Chloride and Baking soda then use the formulation in the following link:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
"Dissolve Epsom salts (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate sold by the Dead Sea Works company (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume. There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing."

If your Calcium and Alkalinity supplements do not already add Chloride or Sodium like for example adding Kalk or having a Calcium Reactor then use the formulation in the following link:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php
"Using both Epsom salts and MAG flake, dissolve 7¼ cups MAG flake and ¾ cup Epsom salts in one gallon of water'
Old 07/09/2007, 11:49 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Yes I do have the eggcrate.

Also I took out all the more precious pieces to me before I dumped the tech M in. As I mentioned I also closed the loop to the main sump and the display tank.
I assume you might be using Styrene plastic based eggcrate (The most usually sold by home harware stores). Styrene releases chemicals that promote algae growth. Take that eggcrate out and replace it with Acrylic based eggcrate or make your frag supports with different material (like acrylic).
Old 07/09/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 07/09/2007, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E-A-G-L-E-S
Well said...

Nice to see someone else here from the valley.
Old 07/09/2007, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
I assume you might be using Styrene plastic based eggcrate (The most usually sold by home harware stores). Styrene releases chemicals that promote algae growth. Take that eggcrate out and replace it with Acrylic based eggcrate or make your frag supports with different material (like acrylic).
Doing it today! Thanks.
Old 07/09/2007, 01:19 PM
SMBS

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
jdieck,

Can you point me towards any other threads or research to support this?

Thanks,

"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out."
Old 07/09/2007, 01:24 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeferhead
jdieck,

Can you point me towards any other threads or research to support this?

Thanks,
I read it somewhere here in RC about 6 months back. At that time I was having the same large amounts of algae in my frag tank but nowhere else. I used to take all the eggcrate out, inmerse it in muriatic acid and then bleach it to completely clean it, just one week after putting it back algae started catching up again. I even replaced the whole eggcrate a couple of times to no aveil.
After I read that I ordered acrylic based eggcrate, which by the way is thicker 1/2" rather than 1/4" and I have been algae free since then.
Old 07/09/2007, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Sweet! Now I just need to find some!
Old 07/09/2007, 02:20 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Sweet! Now I just need to find some!
http://www.lightingdiffusers.com/Sto...=EA%2D050%2D24
Old 07/09/2007, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Let me rephrase that I need some cheap! LOL! It's ok I think I am going to drill acrylic.
Old 07/09/2007, 02:51 PM
Flea Slide

Old 07/09/2007, 02:56 PM
TRC Leader

If I were going to use acrylic, I'd want it to be clear.