Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/20/2005, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Question

How about this little red crab... I have never seen one like this before...

Old 07/21/2005, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

I personally wouldn't re-use that salt. I wouldn't feel comfortable not knowing what contaminates could have gotten into it.

Nice pictures Nirol. That red crab looks like a baby mithrax buy it's pincers. I have only seen one bristle worm in the TBS tank. It comes out every morning when I feed the tank. It's about 4" long and always comes from the same spot.

The tang is still staying in the same spot, but has started eating a little bit. It has taken some flake, cyclopeeze and mysis....as long as it floats close to where it stays. It seems to dart out quickly at the food to get it. Then backs up just as quickly. So maybe it will be okay. It never touched the seaweed. I'll put more in later on and hopefully it will take a little.
Old 07/21/2005, 08:22 AM
Soul of a Sailor

The worm sounds like it may be a eunicid. It looks like there are a few antennae on the head right? And eunicids are known for being super quick. If it is one of these guys it should have 5 tentacles on its head, one sticking slightly upwards out of its forehead. Most of them are harmless scavengers, but big ones can eat corals, inverts, and even fish.
Old 07/21/2005, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

We had (had is the operative word here) some of those pink/peach colored worms in our tank too. They came in on a discosoma rock that I purchased. They never bothered anything that I could ever see and I used to see them all the time on that small rock. Since we put Harley (harlequin basslet) into the tank, I have not seen any of them. I have also not seen the nasty bristle worm that used to snap at the snails and crabs that came near his hole. The pig, Harley, eats anything and everything he can fit in his mouth!! Since he has eaten all the small crabs in the tank, he has lately taken to eyeing the larger mithrax's. I think he is trying to think of a way to eat them without being bitten!! LOL He is totally entertaining to watch when he gets in "hunter mode".
Old 07/21/2005, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
Hey, look at this pic... I assume this is a bristle worm? It is bubblegum pink and very fast...(hence a poor photo)

Hmm - looks like the worms I had on some tbs rock. Mine were fast but spooked easily. I wasn't sure of their safeness so I dipped the rock in some water. One popped out right away. The bigger one didn't come out until after I put the rock back in the display. That was when my (then) maroon made a meal out of it.

Speaking of meals, early this morning i noticed what looked like a dead bristle worm in the grip of my peppermint. I dunno whether the pepp hunted the worm or if the worm was dead already. Either way it was an ugly sight to see.

oh and whatever crab it is - it isn't a porcelain so I'd take it out...but that's just me.
Old 07/21/2005, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean36191
The worm sounds like it may be a eunicid. It looks like there are a few antennae on the head right? And eunicids are known for being super quick. If it is one of these guys it should have 5 tentacles on its head, one sticking slightly upwards out of its forehead. Most of them are harmless scavengers, but big ones can eat corals, inverts, and even fish.
Yes it has antennae on its head... I didn't count them...Any ideas for an id of the little crab? Quite different from the otheres. Flame red and has a jerky motion. Not too worried at this point as he is very tiny...

PS the Condy is missing again!
Old 07/21/2005, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
Yes it has antennae on its head... I didn't count them...Any ideas for an id of the little crab? Quite different from the otheres. Flame red and has a jerky motion. Not too worried at this point as he is very tiny...

PS the Condy is missing again!
My condy shriveled up yesterday but by that night was expanded again. I do notice some very light brown on it though. What would that be?
Old 07/21/2005, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Don't know what that could be but it's common for them to shrivel up. As long as it expands again.

Can't say for sure, but the pincers of the crab looks just like mithrax Nirol.

Sally, do you have a picture of Harley?
Old 07/21/2005, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
My condy shriveled up yesterday but by that night was expanded again. I do notice some very light brown on it though. What would that be?
poop.
Old 07/21/2005, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
poop.
That's nice! At least it could not get it all over itself.
Old 07/21/2005, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

over time as my condi grows it's changed from pure white to a light brown/tan color all over
Old 07/21/2005, 12:55 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

For those of you interested in how to make sumps DIY style, I just replaced my 20L sump with a 29 sump, pictures and details can be found here:

http://www.marshreef.com/modules.php...4359&start=105

If you like DIY, you can read the whole thread, it is about setting up my 75 gallon tank.

B.
Old 07/21/2005, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Here are some pictures from the TBS tank. The chili coral looks like it shrunk. Here's the picture I showed the other day and then what I just took:

Next is the leather, GSP and Condy:

Here you can see how it's getting hollow between the polyps:

Here is a sick brain and a nice healthy one:

and finally a shot of some sponge that's growing under a ledge in the rock. Can't get a good close up because of the lights:
Old 07/21/2005, 02:15 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Cool pictures Pat! I really like that healthy brain, so pretty Has anyone gotten TBS rock in the last week?
Old 07/21/2005, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
over time as my condi grows it's changed from pure white to a light brown/tan color all over
Same with ours.
Old 07/21/2005, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

i wonder what causes it? lighting? it's healthy and growing very well. at the rate it's growing it may outgrow the tank [33 long ]
Old 07/21/2005, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

pat, i read somewear the chili coral was listed as difficult to keep
Old 07/21/2005, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
This is what I found on chili corals:

Alcyonium sp.

Common Name: Chili Coral, Chili Sponge, Red Finger

Lighting: N/A, non-photosynthetic

Aggressiveness: Low

Current: Medium to Strong

Hardiness: Moderate, good for aquarists with at least 6 months reef
keeping experience.

Region: Indo Pacific on reef slopes with strong current. Also found
in lagoons with strong tidal currents in shady areas attached to hard
substrate.

Description: Small colony size, not generally reaching over 6 inches tall with finger like lobes or branches, extends small white feeding polyps. Colors can be red, orange, or purple.

Since this coral is non-photosynthetic (does not feed on light and contains no zooxantheallae) it must be fed on a regular basis. Any phytoplankton, zooplankton, micro food, and brine shrimp is accepted.

Due to this coral not getting overly large it is an excellent candidate for the smaller nano reefs. If placed in a nano reef, point feeding with a small eye dropper or plastic needled syringe is recommended, as free floating food is undesirable.
Old 07/21/2005, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

where did you find that info? was it a web site, if so, do they have a list of corals?
Old 07/21/2005, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Pat, I also read that chili coral need to be upside down with good water flow. If it is attached to a rock, I would try to suspend it upside down somewhere that it will get a lot of good water flow. Good luck with it...it's a very pretty coral.
Old 07/21/2005, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
where did you find that info? was it a web site, if so, do they have a list of corals?
Bob, the first bit of information I found on a website called Nano-reef.com. The actual address for that info is http://www.nano-reef.com/corals/?coral=6
Old 07/21/2005, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

thanks, good site
Old 07/21/2005, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garagebrian
Has anyone gotten TBS rock in the last week?
Brian, I know you and Bob are waiting for your order...I can't remember if anyone else is. I know either of you would have said you got it if you did.
Thanks for the info on the chili coral Sally. I heard they were pretty easy to keep. Now how the heck am I going to suspend it upside down?
Old 07/21/2005, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

My flower anemone decided to start moving today while I was out and took us residence right next to/on top of my big star coral. Now that coral is all burned were it was touching the anemone. Tried to move it but it was attached to the rock really well. Moved the Star coral for now!
Old 07/21/2005, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Thanks for the info on the chili coral Sally. I heard they were pretty easy to keep. Now how the heck am I going to suspend it upside down?
While surfing for info for you on the care of the chili coral, I came across a couple of ideas. One, wedge the rock it is stuck to between two other rocks to suspend it upside down. Two, use a rubber band to hold the rock it is attached to to another rock to suspend it upside down. Good luck!!!!