Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2007, 12:05 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
A sump is nothing more than just a container of water under the tank. Get yourself a siphon overflow (u tube type) for about 300gph flow rate and use a MJ1200 as a return pump and voila!
or you can always put a 10g tank on a shelf above the tank put a mj pump in the tank to feed it and have the above sump overflow into the dispalay tank
Old 09/13/2007, 12:06 PM
clownfish fan

Versatile for sure
Old 09/13/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

sounds easy just need some pics on how to connect under tank is a preference seems I would need to connect to overflow box etc..getting all wired up just need some room.LO
Old 09/13/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

o.O that has got to be the ghettoest fish tank dome turtle thing
Old 09/13/2007, 12:36 PM
One Good Friend

It sounds like something from spongebob(have 3yr old), looks Awesome! I think i'll order 3!
Old 09/13/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

well if you want a really good view of your skimmate I guess that is good....***?
Old 09/13/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

What about this skimmer
Amiracle Quad 1 Hang-on Skimmer

The Amiracle Quad I Venturi Skimmer allows you to benefit from true venturi action using a number of readily available submersible pumps. Aquarium water is injected with air as it passes through the venturi valve creating the reaction where protein and other dissolved organics are removed while oxygenating you aquarium water. Its quad design creates more usable contact time and therefore the skimming effectiveness of a protein skimmer many times its size. Hang-on model designed to hang on the back of your aquarium - no fancy plumbing required.

Pro Clear Aquatic systems
Hang on 75/150

Weipro Skimmer

http://www.deepblueaquarium.co.nz/skimmers.htm

Excaliber Hang-On Protein Skimmer for aquariums up to 150 gallons
http://www.tsunamiaquatic.com/catalo...10.htm#image_1
http://www.tsunamiaquatic.com/i/prot...mmer/hv100.jpg
Old 09/13/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Old 09/13/2007, 04:16 PM
g l a s s b o x

years ago the PM HOT and excalibur were the top HOB skimmers. modify them with a NW/Meshwheel and they should be up there. imo they are better than remora, cpr, typhoon etc...i ran an excalibur at an LFS i worked at...it worked surprisingly well.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 09/13/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

I would not put the PM HOT or the Excalibur above the typhoon. The typhoon is surprisinlgy good for what it is.
Old 09/13/2007, 06:24 PM
g l a s s b o x

that's great. you also wouldnt put an mce600

have you used a PM or excalibur? it's simmilar to the typhoon, better constructed, dimensions, and collection cup.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 09/13/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

so what about a hang on skimmer and making one?
Old 09/13/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

I never said I would not use an mce600, I just would not pay the price for one.
I had an excalibur a while back, it worked OK. The typhoon I have now works better though. While both are similiar to the typhoon they also cost a lot more and if the excalibur is any indication, not any better.
Old 09/13/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Re: Knowledge

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
I'm not trying to be a (.) but gsguy its tough to take real advice from someone who has posted dang near 8k times in less than a year. I've uses many hot skimmers in the last few years and there are many I don't like. Out of the list below here are my thoughts on hot's.

odyssea 75/160----Decent skimmers and a very good value
cpr bak pak's --decent price but not great performers
remora mini/Pro--the worst value skimmer out there
Prizim pro/Delux- better value than a remora but not a good skimmer
deltec- decent performer but very very very overpriced
Seaclone- better than a remora but junk
Coralife-decent skimmer and decent price
typhoon-good price and decent skimmer
Bermuda Rogue-Its predecesor was a killer hot skimmer
PM skimmer-decent price and decent skimmer
Octopus-cpr ko and better price
won brothers- junk-like a cpr
Turbofloter-crappy price, good skimmer 55g or less.

The best value's are the odyssea's, typhoon's and the best performers stock are the turbofloaters and the bermuda's. The best hot skimmer out there is yet to be determined for a 125g or larger tank. The only real contender out there is the bermuda. The best real value is the ps75 and ps160. The only problem i have with the ps160 is i don't like it as a hot as it will overflow to much. But as an in sump skimmer it will be dang near as effective as a octo150 if you mod it and that will take a few bux.

There's my opinion folks as i've used most these skimmers and have seen every one in action hands on if i have not....only exception being the bermuda rogue but i've seen its predesesor in action. Believe what you want but don't take advice from people who won't show you proof.
This is a pretty helpful list. Nice one luke now it makes it easier for people who are on a budget. Now others can get the max efficient for the amount of money they are willing to spend. Now all we are missing is a pricetag on each skimmer and a scale from 1-10 how efficient they are.
Old 09/21/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

AMIRACLE QUAD VENTURI PROTEIN SKIMMERS

118-145bux

AMIRACLE REEF, COUNTER - CURRENT PROTEIN SKIMMER

68-85 bux
Old 09/21/2007, 02:03 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by happyface888
AMIRACLE QUAD VENTURI PROTEIN SKIMMERS

118-145bux

AMIRACLE REEF, COUNTER - CURRENT PROTEIN SKIMMER

68-85 bux
thanks but no thanks....
Old 09/22/2007, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

IME this forum has been filled with the thanks but no thanks responses for as long as I've been active.

I get at least a 1/2 cup of dark skimmate on my remora every day, most of the time more. See my previous pics for prof. You can go to the for sale section on RC and easily pic these up for less than $100 making them a better deal then most of the basic (unmodded) skimmers that everyone has suggested in this thread. Take for instance the suggested Bermuda. I haven't seen a single review favoring this skimmer but the hype it has developed has preceded it.

How can I post pics of my remora that grabs a cup of skimmate/day and have people claim a bermuda or typhoon that hasn't shown pics of that type of output claim that my skimmer is not up to par. I'm not saying that the remora will work for everyone, but I'm also not saying that it wont and you need xyz skimmer to even keep a clown.

Being the proud owner of a smaller sumpless tank (40b) I realize the limitations of whatever skimmer I try to use. Being an engineer I realize the over-importance that people put into unimportant variables. This whole skimmer debate on a small tank is equivalent to processors for people that just want to email or upload digital pics. You can do a more than efficient job without the newest or most sophisticated equipment.

I've personally never seen anyone provide a sufficient argument that puts the cheapest skimmer and a cheap carbon filter less effective on a small tank than the best hob skimmer alone.
Old 09/22/2007, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

check out my gallery for typhoon skimmate pics. If your remora works for you that is great, the ones that I have used in the past did not work well at all, my very cheap typhoon pulls out far more then they ever did.
Old 09/22/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

woah thats alot of skim, but the pics are small. Hey kody if you would like I can help yah out with the pics. I think thoes bubble air stone skimmers would be killer. But the price is kind of ehhh,.....
Old 12/08/2007, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

I have a 60 gal pred tank w. a volitan, dogface puffer, clown and 2 damsels. I have a Prizm delux but am not overly pleased-bubbles and noisy. I have had it for a while and it does do the job but am considering an upgrade. I do need a hang on....That Pet Place is having a sale and I can get a Berlin hang on -23"-w. pump for $ 160.00. Any opinions?? When I was in sales in this industry, I used to be of the opinion that Berlin's were overpriced for their performance. If not the Berlin, any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig
Old 12/08/2007, 01:31 PM
One Good Friend

A octo hot would work for you, either the double pump or the internal. I run a bermuda rogue and it would be more than enough for that tank. I'd recommend a mag 5 to run with it. I'd pass on the berllin.
Old 12/08/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advise. Done an extensive search and it seems thumbs down for the Berlin hang on. where do you get the octo and bermuda?
Old 12/08/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

For the octopus you get it at
thereefstop.com
customaquatics.com
aquacave.com

as for the rogue
toofishy.com
Old 12/08/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Thanks.
Old 12/08/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

I also had a Typhoon Skimmer it was JUNK imo i couldnt get it to skim for nothing. I did talk to D Guass on several diff occasions. I also got the anti siphoning kit. I could not get it to keep a constant waterlevel in the skimmer cup or would it pull out any waste at all unless you call 1/4 of an inch in a milkjug in a week doin its job. Luke arent you the one who did all the mods to a typhoon?