Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Holy double the amount of air, dam you free samples hurry and gimmie my enkamat. I need to mod mine, Think theres any chance it will spin 3? How are the bubbles?
Old 12/07/2007, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Funny thing... a MJ1200 w/ the post impeller venturi (the crappy one that comes w/ it has about the same draw as the octo's NW. I know it's not nearly as effective, but just an interesting observation made while I'm waiting for the glue on my new venturi fitting to dry

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/07/2007, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

I think 2's gonna be the max you're gonna get on there w/ out touching the volute cover. I can't really tell how the bubbles are since I'm just doing it in a white bucket for the time being, but they're bubbles!

Old 12/07/2007, 04:52 PM
One Good Friend

You'll be amazed at how much fuller your chamber will be. Especially since your pump runs unrestricted in your skimmer, which is awesome.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

I still think the resuns going to be better since your going to open the hole a little more so more air, that'd probaly make it different. As for the mj1200 I have no idea how it can pull more, didn't someone mention it had a crappy volute and venturi?

Think you can give 3 a try just for testing? It might not touch, since I dont think anyone tried it yet. I think if it was too much mesh the impeller wouldn't move, I read that on the gen-x mod thread.
Old 12/07/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
You'll be amazed at how much fuller your chamber will be. Especially since your pump runs unrestricted in your skimmer, which is awesome.
any idea why the mj has the same air pull? My guess sounds werid.....
Old 12/07/2007, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

mmmkkkay. Looking at the stock pump which is still running on the skimmer again, it truly doesn't look like there's been much progress! It varies somewhere between on the bottom and 5ish, but closer to the bottom. The 1 & 2 layers seemed to be more steady in the 3ish range and floating to 5 more heavily. But 3 layers put it right back to stock performance as far as air pull... Not sure what else to try here w/o having to go to the store and buy more crap. The third layer fits, but I had to do a lot of trimming because it was rubbing on the volute cover.

I still haven't seen it go over 5 scfm though, and that's during bouncing, so I highly doubt it's even pulling that. Anymore brainy ideas guys?

Old 12/07/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

why does 3 layers bring it back to stock that doesn't make sense though, I'd at least expect it to go up. So whats the air pull with the widen air hole? You'll have to throw it on your skimmer in order to know the effects. the bubbles should look finer than your stock right?
Old 12/07/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

I looked into happys gallerys and he did this to his volute cap, think there be any affects?

check out this thread Pimp my aquaclear
might give you some info on how to improve it.
Old 12/07/2007, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

that's one thing I wanted to try, but everyone said it wouldn't do anything. As for the 3 layers, I don't know why it wouldn't pull any more, it's just not. As for the bigger air hole, the way *I* did it, it did nothing for it. But I'm obviously very inexperienced at this so I have no idea what I'm doing! That's why I'm illiciting the help of Luke and Koral. It'd be nice to get this thing at a firm 5 at least.

Old 12/07/2007, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

It seems like a lot of people in the Octo mod thread (for in sump skimmers) are using the gutter guard, but maybe that only helps the bigger pumps. It seems that they use the GG only, no mesh. I wonder if that would do anything? This mesh mod stuff is just a mess to work with.

Old 12/07/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

so where is it right now?
you might want to browse this thread for some info
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1005653
and this
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=8

Yes we need luke or koral to explain of figure out why 3 was normal that made no sense at all. Guess we are blind for the moment
Old 12/07/2007, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

Also, I think I need to do this, I only had my bored out venturi barely protruding into the pipe because it seemed like it was too big for the water inlet! Maybe I should retry this with this type of deal.

Old 12/07/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

That idea looks like it'll work better, where is your venturi hole atm? is it on the volute cap? or are you using the grey caps air hole?
Old 12/07/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

I think widen the intake of the volute does have a impact

Quote:
Originally posted by dudedudedude
The first functional mod was to increase the intake diamter to 1 inch on the volute cover. I had noticed that ATI did this on the PSK2500 and it improved air flow from 10 to 20 scfh. A picture of a stock and modded cover follow:

heres the thread where the guy did it to his pump
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...quiet+one+3000
Old 12/07/2007, 07:12 PM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by dzeadow
Also, I think I need to do this, I only had my bored out venturi barely protruding into the pipe because it seemed like it was too big for the water inlet! Maybe I should retry this with this type of deal.

D, you want it to be just like the pic and have a nice slice facing towards your impeller. This is a must or you won't get great performance. Reason 2 is better than 3 is because the 3 is to much weight and its slowing down your motor and pry raising your wattage which is not good. Try pushing down the hose adapter and putting a slice in it like above. I'll be around later.

Fish-reason mj1200 pulls as much or moreso air is because its 295gph, not 225.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

The venturi hole that I did is right in front of the gray piece.. it should have been a little further forward though.

Old 12/07/2007, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

I'm super gluing it at the moment.. when it dries it'll be good to go. I put a nice slice through it like the one above and have it pushed all the way touching the other side of the intake.. but before I glue it into place I'll pull it just so the majority of it is directly in the middle.

Old 12/07/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Where will you get those parts?

Luke that makes total sense higher gph= higher air pull
I guess bigger pumps can handle more layers 2 is the max for us.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:24 PM
One Good Friend

You want your venturi just like the pic above and you want the slit right in front of where your impeller shaft hooks into the volute.(the round thing in the middle) If you put it straight down and right in front of that or as close as you can get it, your going to max the little pump out.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

hmm dzeadow the hole is on the volute cap right? if so than did you remove this extra air tube thats on the volute cap? its taking up space dont you think?

Old 12/07/2007, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

well, this is by far the worst output that i've seen yet. the thing doesn't even bounch off of 0...well, maybe 1

Old 12/07/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

That hole in our volute is actually way further back and comes out of the gray cap, so no, it's not taking up any space at all. I'm wondering w/ the bigger air pipe if I have to allow it to suck more water in by boring out the volute some more?

Old 12/07/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzeadow
What black nob? I had it hooked directly from the venturi fitting on the pump to the dwyer meter.

Update 2: 1 layer of mesh makes the thing float somewhere between..oh I'd say 3 and 5. It tops out at 5. So probably 4. That's probably 2 times the output.

Update 3: 2 layers of mesh makes it a strong 4-5ish. Now I'm going to try opening up the venturi to 3/16" vs the 1/8 that it is stock.
Im lost how come you mentioned some numbers here and than 0 now? well we can't expect much since its not one of those high gph pumps. as long as it beats your stock pump thats what counts.
Old 12/07/2007, 07:47 PM
One Good Friend

dzeadow, can you take a pic of what your doing?