Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandan
w00t, w00t for the hockey fans!!! I coach Squirts here in Indianapolis, Indiana. . I can relate. . . .lol
Thank you, at leats someone can. Had varsity practice tonight. Two ex NHlers coaching the team!!
Sorry to hijack your thread
You havent really posted much photos in the last while, whats the plan now, are you slowing down in prep for your child. Congrats by the way, careful though, I got my 2 year old hooked on fish ( no pun intended but he likes fish and fishing, calls all fishing shows bass fishing and likes to watch Jimmy Houston!! at least he loves hockey more - Hey what can i say hes canadian....eh?))

55 gallon Dt in the works.
w/ 20 gal sump, 20 gallon fuge
Old 11/16/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Alright guys sorry for the delay.

Yes he is my first adn should be here in the next month. With work and get readdy for the little one I have been swamped. I am almost finished with my floors and had to move my 150. So the good news I am pressed to do the plumbing.

I have a question. I have a 1 1/2 and a 1 hole in each overflow. Do you think I should run both to my sump for returns or leave the 1 alone and use it down the line for a return?

I will post pics tonight. I lost a drive in my laptop and had a bad cable modem but will get some updates out soon.

Thanks

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 11/16/2007, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Alright finally got some updates. I have been super busy at work with my new cross training. I have my sons room finished and now am’ moving back to the tank. I ripped out all the carpet and chisel all the tile up. Next time I will definitely rent a machine.

Here is a pic of the beginning. It is tough work chipping away tiles.

IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z233/erics3000/Aquarium/DSC01886.jpg[/IMG]

I am going to use the same laminate I used in my sons room.

I know usually everyone finishes the tank first. A little backwards but I just wanted to get all the dust part done. The good thing is I had to move my 150 so I will probably just put everything in my new tank and then work on the plumbing when the floors are done. When I moved my 150 over. I added 200lbs of play sand and bought some live sand with my sand from the 150, and whatever live rock and water I had.

Here is a little more on the floors. I will finish the office and start on the plumbing soon.

I am going to have to put my sump in my garage. It doesn’t fit under my stand. Well now I guess I can use my 150 for the sump. So I will have my sump and top off water and salt mixing water in the garage. I have not decided yet where to put my calcium reactor. I might just keep it out side or put it under the tank by a frag tank that will soon be in the mix. I would like to keep the calcium reactors under the tank but they are safer in the garage if a leak should occur. Or should I say when a leak occours. SO I had a change of plan but will work it through.

Just need to decide if I want 4 return going to my sump, or save them for other uses down the line. I will try and get some more pics up this weekend.

Old 11/16/2007, 04:30 PM
Team RC Member

Looks great Eric, that's gonna be so sweet when it's finished! If I were you I would use both overflow holes as drains, for safety and redundancy. If you had a floor drain under your tank I might consider otherwise, but if anything were to happen with 1 of your drains you'll have a backup. It looks like you will have plenty of room behind your tank for future return lines.

Mike
Old 11/16/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Cool. I didn't know you put water in it.

I've spilled a drop or two of water in my day.

(click red house for my build thread)
Old 11/16/2007, 05:18 PM
Underground Art Studio

Eric, Looking really nice, I love the color of your floor - nice rich look. I'd put as much as possible outside also, if you're putting part of it out might as well push it all. I just have tap water in mine now - already have the flood checked off - LOL. Remember we do live in a nice HOT state and don't know about yours but my garage gets around 100 during the summer.
Old 11/16/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Dude thanks I think i will run all 4 drains out to the garage for returns.

Paul I took the ater I had from my 150 and my 50 and dumped it in the display. I had to move my old tank to get teh floor done. I guess I will just have to do the aquascape a little after the plumbing.

Carol yeah it gets real hot here. I am going to start with insulating my roof in the garage. They dont insulate above the garage on my cookie cutter home. It is a 3 car garage so I think I will also put insulation on the doors. I will see how it goes. I want to do everything possible to avoid a chiller.

Old 11/16/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Ok I got the floor done in the office.

I drilled a few tanks and brook my 50. Too much pressure.

Here are some plumbing parts.

This is where I am going to put my sump. I will build a stand above so I can put a couple cans to store the ro water and mixing container. I guess I will keep my equipment here and later down the road throw a frag tank under the display. I have just enough room above my ac return to go through the wall to the garage for my return lines.

Here are some guys from my old tank.

I need to get back to work.

Happy Holidays..

Old 11/17/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

wow eric looks like you have made alot of progress lately , looking good and i agree that you should keep as much outside as possible thats the route i took and let me tell ya my system is just next to silent in the house and with your reactor being out there any excess CO2 that goes into your system will dump into the sump not the display wich will give it a chance to disurse better before hitting the display, and trust me it will especially while you are dialing it in, because my algae in the fuge has tripled since ive been running mine so that definately tells me that there is excess CO2 going in but most of it is being used up by the cheato and calurpa. plus keeping 90% of the water exchange outside it cuts back on salt creep in you living space and cuts WAY back on the amount of humidity in your living space as well, trust me the last house my tank was in with the sump under the tank stayed humid and sticky as hell , and in this house there is only about a 2 degree diference in the living room than the rest of the house and no noticable humidity diference wich i am sure glad of because i dont think that would be great on the plasma that is like 4 feet away from the display!
Old 11/17/2007, 10:08 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

Nice progress. I would use both holes for drains. On my 4'x4'x20" project I'm going to use both of my holes for drains. One to feed the fuge some and dump the rest into the sump and one line to feed the skimmer.

LOVE the pics of your pup. Great looking dog. Hope to get Eve some "family" pictures w/ me and the wife for X-mas cards. Now we have a reason to send some out since we have her

Love the floor!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 11/18/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

tatoReef
I am glad I took everyones advice and kept everything outside. My bulk head leaked on my sump and that would have sucked in the house. Nothing a little silicone couldn't fix.

Lunchbucket
I hear you on the Christmas pics. Thanks the floors were a lot of work. There are starting to make some real nice laminate now. It is 12m with belveled edges.

I got a lot of work on the plumbing today. I just need to get some 1 penductors and some 1' locline. Wish I had already ordered it. Hopefully I can find some locally. i doubt it. I am gona search the internet in a little adn see what I can come up with. I will post some pics tonight.

Old 11/18/2007, 07:52 PM
I am a super nose picker

Just don't use GE kitchen and bath silicone its been my down fall.Nice pic of the Christmas dog.Nice progress on the tank glad to see you have had some time to do some work on it.
Old 11/18/2007, 07:53 PM
I am a super nose picker

I used the 1" ocean motions fittings but they aren't cheap.Omni flex nozzles.
Old 11/19/2007, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

If you're anything like me make sure you put something down on those floors when you clean the tank. Man I spill a lot of water on my wood floors.

Old 11/20/2007, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

Nice thread. I'm glad I found it because I'm considering a tank the exact same size and from GC. Hopefully I'll get to order it after the holidays. I'm tagging a long now!
Old 11/20/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Steve I got the regular GE silicone. I need to look into those fitting.

Paul yeah I will need to have a bunch towels always on the floor.

Haffs09 Thanks and Welcome aboard..

Here are some updates.

My returns Left and Right

This is where I cut a hole through the wall to go into my garage. The 1 ½ flex is for my OM4

A stand I made for my OM4. and some of the parts

Old 11/21/2007, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

You must be glad you got started. One thing to watch out for if those are your drain lines in the picture is keeping them pitched toward the sump the whole way. If you have that dip in the middle of that pipe it could trap air and make your standpipe gurgle.

Old 11/21/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Thanks I will see if I can tie them up a little better.

Old 11/22/2007, 01:52 AM
Obsessed

wow nice thread!

where is that aquarium you went to? is that in florida?
Old 11/22/2007, 02:12 AM
Girls Rule!

Omg I missed a lot! The changes look great! I LOVE the photo of your dog it's so adorable =) The floor looks really good too! Keep the updates coming!
Old 11/23/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Zestay. It was in San Francisoc CA.

Thanks Nano Gurl ..

i hope everyone had a great Thanks giving. I will definetly get some updates this weekend.

Old 11/24/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Where can I get some 1' locline?

Old 11/25/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

I got my om4 going. I need to get some 1 ' locline and some better clamps.

I was going to go with a light blue and decided on a darker color for the office. It does make the small room a little smaller but it will do.

i got my new ro unit from marc. Hopefully I will get it setup int the garage soon.

the tank is loud without the stand pipes. I need to get them finished up tomorrow. I moved my skimmer out of the display finally. it is gona be rough to aquascape with water in it now. Oh well little by llittle. My garage is a mess..

Old 11/25/2007, 07:34 AM
Underground Art Studio

Looking great Eric!

Just to let you know they don't make 1" locklines, you'll have to reduce them to 3/4".
Old 11/25/2007, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

That big table rock is pretty cool on the right. I haven't seen 1" loc line. This is the distributor.

http://www.modularhose.com/