Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Question This calk reactor good??? how much do it cost?? pro-cal

i just bought a pro-cal calcium reactor for a good price ( i think... it was at a garage sale at a lfs.. well took 45 min to get there... )

it's this same exact calk-reactor w/ both chambers filled to the 'fill' line with media...

http://www.marinetechnical.com/page12.html

how much would a used and new one run?? ( it came with the small external pump also )

i bought it on the whim.. i remember reading that this thing was the best... but idk.. never looked into a calk-reactor...

TIA

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 12/01/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

ohh .. and i dont have the co2 tank or regulator.. how much do a decent set run??? if it's too much.. then i will have to put this thing in the attic for a year or so.. ( takes that long to save $$$, unless i get lucky..) if i have to stor this thing... how do i stor the media?? dry it out and ziplock it?

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

Old 12/01/2007, 07:01 PM
Team RC Member

You confused me: kalk reactor is different from calcium reactor. I'd say you'd spend about 300 dollars--- at least--- on this rig new. It'll take another hundred to get a co2 tank and regulator, maybe a bit more than that, but not much more.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/01/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

i ment calcium reactor.... same EXACT setup as the pic... a duel camber w/blueline 20 recirc. pump... with both chambers filled with media.. the return clip on rig ( for the hoses..) and those 2 water guages.. ( one is bubble counter and dont know about the skinny one.. ) and that pressure guage...... $100..... hum... thats not too bad.. ill get that in a few months then... lol... need to rid of this AEFW...!!! b@stards... my frags!!!!!

any experience on this unit?? good?? bad??

Thanks sk8r

YzGyz

Old 12/01/2007, 07:19 PM
Team RC Member

Pressure gauge/bubble counter could be regulator---not sure: I think you got a deal. Pump alone is about 30 to 60 dollars. It's a smallish reactor, but should do beautifully with your tank. Somebody else may come in with more knowledge of calcium reactors/co2 tanks than I have: I run a kalk reactor, and the chamber for a kalk reactor alone [single chamber, some piping] can run 300.00, so I'm sure you got a good buy on this.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/01/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

yupper... $100 for the set-up... as far as i know.. all i need is a co2 tank,regulator w/ selanoid ( im in the countryside like.. power out in big storms) and $$ for the two... lol.... so i did good ehh???

thax Sk8r.... dont know if i should use this thing yet ( but i want to.. but cant.. need funds) i only have frags... thas if i can overcome these AEFW...

YzGyz

Old 12/01/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

I think the pro-cal was much more than 3-400, more like $7-900? I have the minical and it works great for my 90g. You got a good deal, but will probably have to shell out $200 for a good tank/regulator etc. It's worth it, as they need little messing with once dialed.
Old 12/01/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

kool.... ill look into that later on.. tank is not up to par.. ..... oh.. how would you guys run a big reactor like this if you only have like 2 dozen frag?? is it hard?? worth the trouble?? ... ohh.. and do i need a feed pump?? or do it auto draw.. how do i stor this once used media??

YzGyz

Old 12/01/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

ohhh.... man.. almost forgot... how do you leak check this thing??? i did buy it used.. and it 'seem' to be in working condition.. the guy that sold it to me said, " we just took that thing of someones tank this morning" ... i looked at it.. it had some saltwater in it still.... guess it's true... but jst to be sure... how do i leak test it??

Thanks again ( to everyone that looked)

YzGyz

Old 12/02/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

My mini-cal does not have/need a feed. It draws and recirculates using the same pump. I'd assume the same for the procal, but honestly don't know. The owners/builders/designers are great to troubleshoot setup with on the phone (they don't try to talk through via email). Leak test by filling both chambers, put a bucket with feed/drip lines, and let it run.
Old 12/02/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

kool.. ill do the leak test later today... guess no one knows how to store used reactor media... ill make a new thread asking specifically about that... wanna find out if thats possible before i get the media wet again..

THANKS all

YzGyz

Old 12/02/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

the media the recommended to me is carib-sea argonite...I think that most media is very similar. You should be able to dry it and store without an issue.
Old 12/02/2007, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

kool... scoop out.. put in pan.. oven or sundry.. then ziplock it.. i think thats my plan..

YzGyz

Old 12/02/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

humm... im looking at the pic on the MTC website... how do i work this thing to leak test it??

it looks like

- bottom left blue is feed/ auto draw from sump
- green after the mesuring vial is calk/alk saturated water to return to tank..
- the little 'jar' is co2 feed ... that vial to count bubbles...

so what is red on the top left???

YzGyz

Old 12/02/2007, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I'd say you'd spend about 300 dollars
One could only wish, back in the day I paid $550 used on what was considered was one of the best units you could get. Still a good unit dont get me wrong, but like skimmers of the past all these products giveway to better performance at lower prices, which in the long run we all benefit.