Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > West Tennessee Marine & Reef Aquarium Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/27/2007, 03:08 PM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Talking St Jude is GROWING!

Well everyone, its official. We will be having a 950G acrylic tank in the new Chili's Center and its being made by Scott Ledin ofAquatic Acrylics This is possible by a generous contribution from an unknown(to me) benefactor. As most of you know I've brought it up at the last two monthly meetings. During that time and the months previous (basically October) Myself, John Curran (Design and Construction), Scott, and most recently Doug Tran (Design and Construction) have been working on making this a reality. Well, all the "i's" and "t's" are taken care of and now comes the fun part. The preparation, and soon to be followed by the set-up and stocking.
The Chili's Center is slated to open in August '07 and Scott, John, Doug, and myself would like this to be established and cycled by that time. Scott has already begun and with the construction crew pouring a floor today we're well on our way!
I am calling on all of our members to get their Volunteer applications in and processing so that everyone can participate in this unique experience. We will be onsite to install the tank, plumb and aquascape, and build many of the "rocks" and structures going into this. Scott has already told me that this is the first time he has ever had such a unique project and he's just as excited as me to be a part of this. For all of us I would imagine that this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that you wouldn't want to miss.
For those of you that are approved for campus access we'll be getting together and working on a plan for instilation and help in the next month or so. For everyone else that might be interested I urge you to get your application in. I would like to see a volunteer staff of 20 members onsite to show Scott and St Jude how serious the WTMRAC takes this and our other project's. For those of you interested in participation you can fill out an application by going here and downloading the application and faxing your completed application to Volunteer services at (901)495-2720. Be sure to put on the front page that this is for "Aquarium Maintenance Only." Your application will be handeled differently and expedited to specific people to get you ready.
Anyone wanting to donate corals, fish, books, anything can reach me at barrett.shumaker@stjude.org.
Look here and at our club site WTMRAC for updates.
Thank you to everyone for your help and support,
Barrett Shumaker WTMRAC President
Old 02/27/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Ok I am on board I just faxed my volunteer application to the hospital.
Old 02/28/2007, 02:48 AM
Who dat?

How in the heck did St. Jude end up going with Aquatic Acrylics for such a huge undertaking?

From what I can see it is a new company that started from a RCer (Spazz) that was working out of his garage ( nothing wrong with that, everyone has to start someplace) not too long ago.

Seems like with all the established acrylic tank companies around that going with a new and relatively unknown manufacturer is kinda / very risky.

His website does not even mention him making aquariums, his experience making them , or his warranty regarding them.
Old 02/28/2007, 09:44 AM
WTMRAC President/Thug

I was introduced to Scott by some of his club members on RC in the large tank forum. I've seen some of his work and talked with others that he's done business with. Richard was familar with him and thought that him coming on was a really nice idea. Scott worked up a detailed idea of the tanks requirements and layed out a wiring map and the requirements to push such a large tanks power requirements. He was the most flexable with construction and installation. He's going to make multiple trips here to ensure that everyone is satisfied and that we're all on the same timeline. For me he was the best choice of the potentials I spoke with.
Old 02/28/2007, 03:45 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

I don't know that going with him is a good or bad thing. Even the well known tank manufacturers started at some point with no one knowing how long they would be around, and what kind of quality their tanks would be.

I think that Scott makes fine equipment, and has already spent a lot of time and effort on this project. I am not sure that the larger companies would go as far as he has in planning out the entire system.

to be continued...
Old 02/28/2007, 04:05 PM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Just to add to Richards post.... none of the people I talked to were anywhere as accomidating as Scott has been. He has single-handedly done what i'm sure would have taken 2-3 people to do. This isn't a project I took lightly. This is the centerpiece of a major traffic area.
He began setting aside paying work as this project grew to work on plans and diagrams without knowing if he would be offered the job. Scott has devoted the next 5 months strictly to this project, forgoing other pending orders. He has already secured donations from his own club and some online suppliers to stock the tank once completed. I have the utmost faith in him.
Old 02/28/2007, 05:29 PM
How many fish can I kill?

Wow awesome project!!! I think this is a great thing you all are doing! Great to see a club also involved in such a worthy cause.

Nano: 2 Black Ocellaris Clowns
Old 02/28/2007, 11:14 PM
Who dat?

I'm sure Scott is a great guy. He seems very knowledgeable about a great many things ( if you read the DIY forum you can't help but run across posts by Spazz ) but knowledge is not experience. It just seems odd to me that that St. Jude would invest that much money (donated money as it seems) in a company with a relatively unproven track record in what is going to be a center piece in this brand new facility. Now don't get me wrong, from what I've seen it looks like Aquatic Acrylics can probably produce and deliver what they are after and it may be the project that launches this young company on a path filled with fortune and longevity and I hope that is the case. I say probably because there is not a whole lot to go one but what is there looks good. That's why I questioned the selection with all the other companies out there that have been around for such a long time. Their length in business is no guarantee that they will be around tomorrow but it is a good indicator that there is an excellent chance they will be and that's clincher in many deals of such magnitude. Because it's not just about what you can do in order to get the sell but what you can do after the sell. If things go sour the customer likes to know that the company they are dealing with has the resources to handle anything that may occur and will be around should the need arise. I'm sure it's all academic ,an organization like St. Jude wouldn't select someplace willy nilly without looking into all this in the first place. Probably just my fears creeping after being left holding the bag when companies have gone under.
Old 02/28/2007, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

Barrett, I am primed and ready to go and will have some frags, as well. All my work will have to be on the weekend, however.
Old 03/01/2007, 12:51 AM
WTMRAC President/Thug

I really appreciate your concern Dave. Its nice to know that you're here with us. We would be in a totally different place without you.
Old 03/02/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Hey all,

I am one of those club member that does not attend meetings and really does not spend much time on this board as I would like. It is not that I do not want to get involved, but I have other things in my life that eat up the majority of my spare time, as I am sure most of you do as well.

I did fill out the application to get envolved at St. Jude when the club worked on the original tanks. I did not, however, follow through on the requirement to complete the application process. I know there was a thread that detailed the process once the application was submitted, but I cannot find it. If someone would provide me the directions, I would like to complete the process and join in on the fun. It is not very often that a system of this size is installed, and I would love to be part of the process, even if I am limited to a role in manual labor.

Thanks in advance.

Larry
Old 04/10/2007, 09:04 AM
WTMRAC President/Thug

Update.
Talked to Scott last night and the hospital systems are cut and ready for assembly. The skimmers and reactors are together and ready for action. Scott's had specialized bits made for the large tank's milling and he's getting his team together for assembly. We're on our way!
Old 06/06/2007, 02:42 PM
WTMRAC President/Thug

The tank will be here on Wednesday afternoon, June 13. Anyone and everyone who wishes to help with the moving and set-up of the tank and some of the peripherals please let me know ASAP.
here is the email I received:

The fish tank has been scheduled to arrive to the site on Wednesday afternoon, June 13 07.

A kick off meeting with the vendor for the installation of the fish tank has also been planned for next Wednesday afternoon.

The following people are required to attend this kick off meeting:

- Skanska superintendents, project manager.

- Electrical contractor

- Mechanical, plumbing contractors

- Barrett Shumaker

- Doug Tran

The vendor will drive his truck / trailer to transport the tank & related equipments. He will let me know the approx time of his arrival.

As discussed, we need Skanska assistance to move the tank into the first floor.

Doug
Old 08/25/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just dave
I'm sure Scott is a great guy. He seems very knowledgeable about a great many things ( if you read the DIY forum you can't help but run across posts by Spazz ) but knowledge is not experience. It just seems odd to me that that St. Jude would invest that much money (donated money as it seems) in a company with a relatively unproven track record in what is going to be a center piece in this brand new facility. Now don't get me wrong, from what I've seen it looks like Aquatic Acrylics can probably produce and deliver what they are after and it may be the project that launches this young company on a path filled with fortune and longevity and I hope that is the case. I say probably because there is not a whole lot to go one but what is there looks good. That's why I questioned the selection with all the other companies out there that have been around for such a long time. Their length in business is no guarantee that they will be around tomorrow but it is a good indicator that there is an excellent chance they will be and that's clincher in many deals of such magnitude. Because it's not just about what you can do in order to get the sell but what you can do after the sell. If things go sour the customer likes to know that the company they are dealing with has the resources to handle anything that may occur and will be around should the need arise. I'm sure it's all academic ,an organization like St. Jude wouldn't select someplace willy nilly without looking into all this in the first place. Probably just my fears creeping after being left holding the bag when companies have gone under.
I hope to help with your concern... I am a local to Scott's Reef club and here is my take. Scott has built many tanks but usually only for friends and a few others. They are a A LOT of work with little return from a business stand point. He makes GREAT tanks! If you look at the seems of his tanks compared to any other acrylic tank you will be amazed. If you gets like 3 or 4 bubbles in a seem he goes ballistic. He has such a passion for what he is doing if he wouldn't feel 1000% comfortable using something he built he will just scrap it. I have seen him trash a few hundred dollars worth acrylic just because he did not like one thing or another. The amount of care, Experience, & knowledge Scott has I think makes him a perfect candidate for THIS job. I stopped into his shop from time to time while this tank was being built and it was just amazing. It seems the tank is on-site now and I hope you all enjoy it! I know I enjoyed watching construction!

All in all please know that Scott is a perfectionist to the core! He will get the job done right and he will back his work until the end. If ever there was a problem I am SURE he will take care of it... that is just a part of who he is... just an all around great guy with a great deal of integrity.