Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09/21/2003, 11:03 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Anyone up for an ID (lots o pics)?

Looking for a name and some details about a little hitchhiker I found at the LFS and brought home (on a trial basis) to add some 'spark' to my reef. A little danger makes things interesting, no?

Anyway, found her under a freshly received colt softie (attached to a rock-frag) a few weeks back. Kept her there in a critter-feeper, within the reef system, and stocked it a couple weeks ago with a very tiny blue-leg hermit, a small stomatella hitchhiker to test its diet. Both the snail and the hermit were alive and well today when I decided to take her (the Mantis) home. During that time I have supplied her with a few forzen brine or a piece of krill which she excitedly hauled under a piece of rock (apparently she's a shy eater).

On with the pictures now...

This first shot is to establish basic form looking down on her, o apologies for the otherwise crappy shot.

Pretty boring looking, eh? Check this next shot out then:

Close up of her front section:

A curtsey and another look at the front (other side):

She does enjoy swimming and in the critter-keeper would often swim to the top and then hang out there:

Back half:

She isn't even as long as a quarter stretched out, so she may still be a juvenile...

Thanks in advance,

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.