Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01/03/2008, 03:59 AM
Registered Member

Protein Skimmer -> help me pick

I am going to buy a protein skimmer for my 20 gallon tank. So far my tank is a fowlr tank w/ the exception of 3 pink feather dusters. I am going to add corals as the tank matures and as I become more experienced.
Which one of these protein skimmers is best from your experiences (because these are in my affordable price range)?

(1) Taam Rio Nano Skimmer
-The Rio Nano Skimmer features a compact design that has an adjustable variable venturi with exclusive air/water mixing chamber. This Nano Skimmer is ozone compatible and has an adjustable flow control. This skimmer also uses filter cartridge with activated carbon for additional mechanical and chemical filtration. The pump, which is included has a flow rate of 110 GPH and is suitable for aquariums up to 20 Gallons in size.

(2) Aquarium Systems Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer
-Visi-jet is an economical protein skimmer for aquariums up to 70 gallons. Visi-jet ps has a turbo-venturitm injector system to mix filtered air and water within the pump impeller chamber, creating a froth of micro-bubbles for maximum skimming efficiency. The built-in flow meter provides accurate visual monitoring of true flow volume through the pump and into the protein skimmer. Micro-bubbles contribute to improved gas exchange. Dissolved organic compounds are separated from water to produce a concentrated foam mixture of waste products that is pushed up the column into the foam collection receptacle where it can be easily discarded. The directional output sends oxygen-rich water down and out into the aquarium. Visi-jet(r)ps protein skimmer uses a prefilter to filter out large particulates, algae, and aquarium animals, preventing them from entering the pump impeller chamber.

(3) Current USA Fission Nano Skimmer
-Ideal for all nano-reef aquariums, the Fission Nano-Skimmer is the worlds smallest protein skimmer, measuring a mere 6.5" high and 2" in diameter. Powered by an energy efficient air injection pump, the patented Fission skimmer rips bubbles into a vortex foam froth, breaking apart proteins and organics and efficiently removing them from your Nano-home. Easy-to-install, this nano-skimmer packs the power of fission into pint sized perfection creating a safe and clear environment. Includes a 84 gph (320 L/hr) submersible air injection pump, protein skimmer, suction cups for mounting, hanging clip, two connection elbows and six bubble reducing pads. Up to 30 U.S. Gallons

Thanks.