Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12/30/2007, 03:43 PM
Team RC Member

My testing of Salt mixes

Before I post my list, a few disclaimers.

I tested all of the salts in the same manner and with the same test kits. The only popular salt I haven't tested is Red Sea Coral Reef. Maybe next month.

A little crude but something should be said for consistency.

I did not use weights but simply mixed all of these salts to 1.0264 or 35 ppt according to MY refractometer at a temp of 79 degrees.

I did notice that some salts need less than others to get to 35 ppt. But thats a story for another day.

I also noticed some salt mixes dissolved faster than others. Again a story for another day.

This is meant to be a general guide for those looking for the right salt mix for their tank. As I have always said, everyones tank is different depending on inhabitants and consumption rates.

The cost per gallon is generally judged by mixing at 1.024 in the hobby. Adjustments should be made for 1.0264 or 35 ppt. I know this should not be the standard but it is what it is.

This is just a guide and I do not want a big long thread disputing my findings. This is just a guide. I think you'll find it informative.

Calcium Alk Mag

Instant Ocean 350 12 1070
Coralife 560 9 1380
Oceanic 580 8.5 1650
Aquatic Gardens (Petco) 430 8 1240
Red Sea 400 8 1300
Seachem Reef Salt 540 10 1450
Kent 540 11 1200
Tropic Marin 375 10 1230
Tropic Marine Pro Reef 450 8.5 1380
Reef Crystals (used to be) 420 12 1260
We'll wait to see what shakes out of the RC situation.