Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12/21/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

RIP, my clownfish.

My tomato clow's life ended miserably. As some of you might know, I'm about to go reef. I'm getting my lights (Aquactinics TX5) next week. I've had my tomato for about 5 years. He was about 4 inches long. The only life he ever attacked was mine. He got along fine with my 2 recently added cardinals. In the past, he has harrassed a fish or two, but never nipped. Just territorial and a bit selfish at feeding time. He sometimes spent as much time chasing other fish away from food, as he did getting his own.

If my hand went into that tank, he immediately started to hit it, and nip hard he did. What bothered me most was his habit of clearing off sand or CC substrate to make himself a home. More than one piece of LR went down as a result of his incessant excavations.

After much deliberation, I decided he must go. Having a reeftank will require that the bottom stay somewhat undisturbed except maybe for cleanup crews and a sandsifting fish or two of my choice.

I called the LFS I trust and told him the situation, my reason why, and if he'd take him and perhaps give me some store credit for something. He readily agreed. "Come on in," he said. The clown went into a nice gallon zip-top bag, that in turn went into a plastic grocery bag to shield him from light, and away we went.

No sooner was I 200 yards from the hiway did an oncoming SUV jump the median, barrelling right towards me. I had ZERO time to react. I hit my brakes and tried to veer, but it was so quick, I don't think I slowed down a bit from 54 mph. I hit him head on, so hard I turned his vehicle upside-down, totaling both vehicles in the process. Here's my dearly departed almost paid for F-150.

His vehicle didn't fare so well. The other man had some major head lacerations, but I think he'll pull through.

My seatbelt saved my life but that poor tomato clown's bag exploded as hard as my airbag did on impact. What a helpless feeling, seeing him flopping on the wet floorboard amidst the broken glass and my tools from the back seat.

Just a word to you nice reefers out there. I hope you wear your seatbelt. I put mine on maybe 90% of the time, but I'll be putting on 100% for here on in. I got away with a nasty welt to the collarbone area from where the seatbelt held me back. However, I walked away.

I'll be purchasing a pair of tank-raised small percs. I think they're beautiful. They'll be small for starters.