Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12/19/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

vortech wireless wavemaker and questioning my priorities

In preparation for going reef I have ditched the bioballs for more LR, pitched the CC substrate for carbonate-based sand; I've built a decent 'fuge with chaeto using a 10g tank, and upgraded my protein skimmer. For the first time in a true 20 years, I seem to have algae growth under control, thanks to reading around. In about a week, I'll have a new Aquactinics 5 bulb T5 unit.

I'm questioning my sense of priority regarding my few next purchases; and as I move on this is what I see myself needing (not necessarily in this order.)

1. something to create turbulence in the water.
2. a RO/DI unit and autotopoff.
3. a calcium reactor

For now, I'm buying SW at the LFS to avoid using tapwater. I think I'll use a 2 part bottled approach for calcium introduction until my system really starts to demand calcium in quantity, then I'll pick up the ca reactor.

I think of the 3 items listed above, the wavemaker takes priority.

I'm eyeing the vortech wavemaker for about $400. Can someone with experience with this item tell me if placing one in a 48x12x21" 55g tank would be overkill or maybe dangerous for LPS, a maxima maybe, a hammer, sun polyps, some zoas and paly's? I'd also love a montipora. I don't yet own these corals, so I can change the list if necessary.

Back to the Vortech, I see in the paperwork they're rated for 20 gal tanks and up, although I don't remember what the max is. I've got a nervous feeling about placing such a powerful item in such a relatively small tank. I could save a bunch and go with a couple of Koralias--maybe 2 #2's?

So to review this jumbled post, I want to know if:

1. A wavemaker should take precedence over a RO/DI unit and a calcium reactor; and
2. If the Vortech is too much.
3. If anyone sees sense in purchasing something I haven't considered.

Thanks!