Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12/18/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

New setup (old tank)-Hippo with Ich

I purchased a 150 gallon reef tank and got it set up about 2 weeks ago. This tank was moved by a "professional" and was about 1 hour from my house. Everything seems to be running well now and the mushrooms and leathers are looking better than they did at the previous owner's house. The salinity was a little low (1.019) when the lady set up the tank but when we filled the sump and started it last weekend (it was down for about 1 week because they broke the prefilter/overflow and I had to fix it) we brought the salinity back up to 1.021. During this time, I left her HOT filter running and cleaned it everyday (it's now in the garbage).
I noticed yesterday that the large Hippo Tang is now getting Ich spots on his body. These are the same fish that were in the tank before and all I have added are a few snails, hermits and pep. shrimp (no cleaners in her tank at all). I did not put the LFS water in my tank. I do not have a qt tank...what do I do? I read the articles on hyposalinity in a qt tank. Should I buy a tank and pull the Hippo (he's about 5"-what size tank do I need)? I also have a yellow tang, a mimic tang, a clown and a dumb damsel. They do not show signs yet...
Thanks!!