Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11/13/2007, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

Fish compatibility - Ideas needed please

Hi Guys,
Well..made the move to marine finally and have decided to have a FOWLR tank. My tank is a 6x2x2 and i'm still fine tuning things in terms of sumps. Will be running Reef Octopus Beckett 250 and a denitrification unit.

Anyway, have been reading a fair bit of info and talking to people about my setup. Actual initial setup with running tank and LR is still about 3 weeks away.

Wanted to get your input with regards to a list of fish. I have searched the forums for a compatible list and stocking levels but didn't find that much info. My main question is whether you can keep several of the same variety? ie can I have say 2 or 3 yellow tangs and 2 or 3 flame angels in the same tank if added at the same time? There are varying opinions and 90% of the shops I have spoken to say YES to the tangs and 'maybe' to the angels. Everything I have read on the forums say NO. So I'm a bit confused.

Also this is pretty much a list of fish I would like to keep and which fish would you recommend adding first, and then periodically?? (ie after it has been running with LR for about 6 weeks)

2 x Yellow Tang??
1 or 2 flame angels??
1 x Purple Tang
3 x high finned banners
a pair of clowns??
1 x Desjardini Tang
some chromis/banner cardinals/anthias??
1 x emperor angel juvenile
1 x coral beauty

Nice to have items after 3-4 months of tank being setup are:

Potters Angel
Powder brown (added last)
Powder blue (added last)

Please let me know your thoughts on this list and any other fish you think might be a nice addition to the tank. Looking to your feedback!

With regards to a quarantine tank, would you say a 2x2x18"(high) is too small?