Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09/22/2007, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

Fairy wrasses are skinny they need help

I have had three fairy wrasses in my tank for a while now so I know that they are not cyanide caught. Two of them are really really thin. The fish all eat well. My McCosker flasher could stand to eat a little better but it is shy in comparison to the other two.

I feed mysis and ocean nutrition prime reef that is rinsed in RO/DI then soaked in selcon once a day and that is sometimes substitued with Newlife Spectrum pellets. It is impossible for me to feed more than once a day because I work all day and get home at night and that is when I feed.

I have asked what people are feeding their Fairy wrasses several times and I get the reply of Mysis shrimp each time nothing more. I have already lost one McCoskers to being this like this I would really like to keep the one I have now kicking for many more years. I feel I need a broader range of food but not sure what else they will eat.

It is apparent to me that these fish are not caught with drugs but they seem to be losing weight at an incredible rate. If it were cyanide they would surely be dead by now as I have had my solar wrasse for over a year probably closer to a year and a half.

Could too much flow in my tank be causing this? I am running Tunze streams on a controller (6000's in a 38 gallon tank). I am thinking that maybe they are working too hard to swim in effect burning off too much of the nutrition that they receiving. Does this sound plausible?

These fish were healthy as healthy can be before being introduced to the main tank with all this flow. They were quarantined and treated for any worms with prazi-pro and fed fed fed till they were really plump for 8 weeks before going into the main tank.

If the too much flow theory isn't it are there any known diseases that cause fish to loose weight with no other visible side effects?

Thanks for any and all help my fish will appreciate it.