Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/22/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Another unknown LPS??

Ok this isn't mine, its my friends. He bought it as a blasto, obiviously its not. Now that I want a frag of it he doesn't wanna give me a piece.

He's too lame to know how to post pictures so I'm doing it for him. ( if you don't know how to post pictures either don't be offended )

He said it doesn't encrust. He said it looks like a lobo. The big oval polyps are about 2-3 inches, and the smaller ones around at least 1.5 inches.

The color looks like a peach color with the outer rim being a shade of grey. It doesn't look like that in the picture because he can't use a camera very well. Go figure haha, I hope he's reading this.

Old 02/22/2007, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

hey man, this is the same coral i have and posted before, its the one that atlantis were selling as a possible acan maxima which is not, i even sent the picture to julian sprung himself and he couldn't identified it, just that it is some kind of mussid, i too bought it as a blasto, it was glued with other colonies of blastos, as far as i know there are a few around but not many, mine at the beginning lose one small polyp and it grows back amazingly fast, i feed them mysis and cyclopeeze almost every day when i feed my fishes, its a definetily a killer piece.

Old 02/22/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

It's mine. I have no idea what it is. I origially bought it as a lord frag but when I put it in my tank realized it wasnt one. Then i thought it was a blasto but you said it wasnt. I do want to figure out what it is. Anyone who can help me ID this would be greatly appreciated.

I dont want to give you any since you have a pretty big & diverse collection of micros & lords yourself. Look at all the times someone had a coral posted for sale & was beaten to it by you. Now you know how it feels. I dont have the time to sit at my computer all day & night looking at the posts of people selling. You dont have any more room for any more corals it seems. I dont want to cut it up & then have it die on me since it has been in my tank for almost 6 months now. It is my favorite piece. I may try to frag it later as it grows & hopefully multiply but as of now it still has the same amount of polyps it started with.
Old 02/22/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vorteil
It's mine. I have no idea what it is. I origially bought it as a lord frag but when I put it in my tank realized it wasnt one. Then i thought it was a blasto but you said it wasnt. I do want to figure out what it is. Anyone who can help me ID this would be greatly appreciated.

I dont want to give you any since you have a pretty big & diverse collection of micros & lords yourself. Look at all the times someone had a coral posted for sale & was beaten to it by you. Now you know how it feels. I dont have the time to sit at my computer all day & night looking at the posts of people selling. You dont have any more room for any more corals it seems. I dont want to cut it up & then have it die on me since it has been in my tank for almost 6 months now. It is my favorite piece. I may try to frag it later as it grows & hopefully multiply but as of now it still has the same amount of polyps it started with.
I'm gonna wait until you go to work. Then I'm gonna go to your house and tell you wife you finally got something nice and wavy to go in the tank. But since it needs to be in the middle of the tank I'm gonna take out this ugly round thing.
Old 02/22/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Very nice I wouldn't frag it Let it grow
Old 02/22/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

uh oh, here comes the maxima debate again

Mostly LPS reef (lords, micros, duncans, etc.) with some ricordia florida and zoanthids.
Old 02/22/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Calero,

I have the same piece as you, let me know when you get bored of it. But I only have one polyp.

It's not the same piece as Vorteils.
Old 02/22/2007, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nmprisons
uh oh, here comes the maxima debate again
LOL, Adam I was trying to stay away from that......
Old 02/22/2007, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

here is another pic, i still think it is exactly the same coral, the only difference is that the big polyp in mine is not rounded but elongated , the smaller ones ( you cant see them in the picture ) are rounded though.
im did not said that it is an acan maxima, on the contrary, im sure is not, i was just commenting the way it was sold for the first time ( ? ) by atlantis, thats all.

Old 02/22/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

just out of curiosity ... how can you be sure that it is not? Have you seen budding going on?

the thing with maximas is that so few people in the world can accurately id them that a bunch of us looking at fuzzy picture and guessing is just silly. all i know is that it is not a lord and is not a micro and is not a lobo and is not something i have in my tank. but it looks a lot like something i saw locally and i think it is pretty cool.

Mostly LPS reef (lords, micros, duncans, etc.) with some ricordia florida and zoanthids.
Old 02/22/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

I dunno. I have the one from atlantis. And I've seen Mark's in person. They just don't look the same.

Adam - been to dark lord lately?
Old 02/22/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member.

Talking

Wow, that thing is beautiful. You guys either have a ton of $, or your LFS don't have a clue what they are selling. Nice find. I'm way jealous!
Old 02/22/2007, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

it was a nice find
Old 02/23/2007, 01:21 AM
Moved On

Looks kind of like C. Conways Elephant ear acan at diamondsinthereef.com
Old 02/23/2007, 01:26 AM
Premium Member

actually, im not completely sure but for the pictures and description of the Veron books it does not look the same at all to me and after watching that piece behave and eat for almost a year my humble opinion is that is either an unidentified kind of mussid or an hybrid of some kind between lobophyllia and something else, BTW i have a lobophyllia exactly the same colors and i will post a picture right now and the big difference is that the lobo have branches and this piece is coming out of the skeleton like a blasto and the way they behave when i feed them is different too, this coral inflates a lot more than the lobo, also when they are closed the lobo is a lot less brilliant or fluorescent than this one, another difference is that at night this piece completely deflates and the lobo no, anyway im not sure what it is and im far for being an expert but it does not behave like a acanthastrea to me and i have bowerbanki, lord, hillae, echinata and subechinata to compare, just my opinion man.
when they take it out of the box in the LFS i was very fond of blastos and looking for them so right away i knew it was something else and give them no time to react, they just thought that i was buying a blastomussa, so i paid $ 80 bucks for a piece of rock with that and 2 other colonies of blastos.

Old 02/23/2007, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HookedOnCoral
Looks kind of like C. Conways Elephant ear acan at diamondsinthereef.com
I want that, but $150 a polyp?
Old 02/23/2007, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

calero, interesting info. I think Voerteli says it branches. Is that how lobos grow?
Old 02/23/2007, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

I'm just hoping someone on here can ID this for me. Is it going to be that difficult? I had actually bought it as well for $80.
Old 02/23/2007, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

was at darklord on sunday ... I piced up two amazing lords that they are fragging for me. When I get them home, I will be sure to show you pics. they are both way nicer than anything currently in my tank.

they had a few things that looked very similar to that, by the way. it seems pretty similar to the piece atlantis was selling. what does it look like/do at night? how is it growing?

Old 02/23/2007, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Are the corallites phaceloid...at the end of stalks? Is it possible these are Caulastrea sp. ?

Last edited by marsh; 02/23/2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02/27/2007, 01:45 AM
Premium Member

better and closer look of mine

Old 02/27/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Damn calero, how many polyps are on that thing?
Old 02/27/2007, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

just three, one big in the middle ( i dont know if is gonna split in two sometime ) and one small on each side, BTW they are growing pretty fast, i feed them almost every day when i feed the fish, i think i was very lucky to find this piece, i'll post the original picture when i bought it.

Old 02/27/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Was it naturally growing near those blastos or did the LFS glue them there?
Old 02/27/2007, 01:49 PM
Member Registered

Personally I think those two are the same coral. I have the same thing and so does Atlantis. Whatever it is it is rare. Very few people have it. Clint does have it but his is a little different color. I don't think it is a Maxima but I don't know what it is. Looking at the skeleton I personally think it is some sort of unidentified Lobo. People that have it don't want to say it's a lobo because they think they are common. Some are some aren't. Just because there are some species in one genus that are common doesn't mean it should cheapen the whole genus. Look at the War and Peace corals.