Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Minnesota Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 12:23 PM
sweeeet!!

Post your questions and ideas here!!

This isn't for a single person to use. It's for all to use. If you are contemplating a new pump, or a new heater (in my case), or just want an opinion about something reef related, let's post it here. Sound good??

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 12/14/2007, 12:24 PM
sweeeet!!

I'll start.

I need a new heater or two. I have used Ebo-Jager's in the past because they are durable and submersible. Any other suggestions??

Old 12/14/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

I also like ebo-jager heaters as a general heater and they run especially well off of controllers like the Reefkeeper and AquaController.

I do not like using heaters will an external "manufacture's" controller as they tend to break and interfere with the ReefKeeper and AquaController.
Old 12/14/2007, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

And as long as we are also talking pumps....

For powerheads I like Maxi-Jets and Tunze Streams. I have also had a pair of Penguin 550s that I've used for 7 years, probably time to replace.

I don't like RIO/TAMM.

For pumps I like Iwaki and esecially Sequence. Sequence has excellent customer service. Gen-x 30 pumps suck because they return at a 60 angle and are quite loud. Mag drive internal pumps are ok.
Old 12/14/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

What is the best to get in an RO/DI, and how about skimmers for a 75g? Does anyone know of any used oned of either of these that are for sale?

Last edited by dedex; 12/14/2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12/14/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Also, not knowing lighting that well yet, is a corallife 50/50 48" bulb very good for a 75g?
Old 12/14/2007, 08:35 PM
sweeeet!!

Personally, I stay away from PC's, Power Compacts (the 50/50 bulb I think you are referring to Val). IMO they are only good for refugium's and Fish only tanks.

Skimmers. Oh man, what a selection. EuroReefs are good. I like my ATi Bubble Master, but they are for larger systems. Octopus makes a good one I hear. DAS brand. Look in this forum for any post called: "what skimmer is good?" http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=212

Old 12/14/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

I have a turbofloter 1000 skimmer and I really like that!!
Old 12/14/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

For your RO/DI checkout http://www.thefilterguys.biz/index.htm
they are from Duluth and are really good guys if you have any questions they will give you the best option for what you need!!! I will be getting new filters from them this week. I bought my TDS meter from them and love it!!
Old 12/15/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

I will second thefilterguys! I bought my RO/DI system from them and LOVE IT!!
Old 12/15/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

The best bang for your buck skimmer is definately a Turboflotor 1000. I have also bought RO/DI supplies from Jim Fahz (The Filter Guys) and have had excellent results. They also have great customer service! As far as lighting I use PC bulbs on shallower tanks and refugiums, but am leaning more towards t5s for all of my new setups and client tanks. I also like t5s better than the vho bulbs, and I actually think the UV superactinic t5 is better than the UV superactinic vho bulb.
Old 12/15/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

I'll third filterguys, Jim is great ! Awesome prices on replacement sleeves as well.

Heaters? I have a couple of stealth 250 watt and a couple of visitherm 250's as well, I like the stealth's protective sleeve and auto shutoff feature,
I also have a 300 watt Azoo titanium with controller for my 50 gal reservoir. This works well too, and keeps a very consistent temp with what I set it at on the controller, as well as auto shutoff if overheating.

I use a Hagen digital checktemp pocket termometer to make sure my temp is where I want it, not too sure how accurate it is in water, but I had to try it on myself......of course.....I scored a 98.5. So I'm guessing it's pretty accurate.

I've used Ebo's in the past on different set ups and they work well, and are very consistent. But they are glass

So I guess I would rank them this way

1) any type of titanium
2) Stealth heaters
3) glass, whatever brand...
Old 12/15/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Where do I start? I want Garrett's new tank. j/k
1) auto top off
2) add on DI for my RO unit (anyone know if that's possible for an under the sink residential setup or should I start all over and get a storage tank, etc?)
3) 2 more t5 bulbs
4) test kits and clean up crew. I can't wait to get some shrimp!!
5) JDI (that's "Jason Do It" in case you didn't get it) canopy. I think he'd like one anyway. I'm tired of moving the lights to work in the tank.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:11 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by blennieluvr
1) auto top off
autotopoff.com - I didn't my unit from them, but would have. I understand their systems are uner $50 and very good. I found, like most of my other items, good stuff on the For Sale Forum.

Quote:
by blennieluvr
2) add on DI for my RO unit (anyone know if that's possible for an under the sink residential setup or should I start all over and get a storage tank, etc?)
I got my add on DI from filterguys.biz for something around $15 or so. What you didn't see and still may do is a "double DI" on my system.

Quote:
by blennieluvr
4) test kits and clean up crew. I can't wait to get some shrimp!!
We can still do a group order on test kits and figure a way to get them distributed.

Quote:
by blennieluvr
5) JDI (that's "Jason Do It" in case you didn't get it) canopy. I think he'd like one anyway. I'm tired of moving the lights to work in the tank.
The "honey-do list" will never die!!

Old 12/19/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

OK...I am trying to get everything in order for the 75g setup. I am wondering what size and how many koralias I would need to get good water action in a 75g? Also, what is a good price for the size you suggest? THANKS!
Old 12/19/2007, 12:13 PM
sweeeet!!

Hydor Koralias are just one choice. I just purchased two MaxiJet Mods (Sure-Flo) from PA. Or do you plan to do a closed loop?? If so, drilling the holes for the closed loop would be a good idea ahead of time.

Otherwise, to answer your question, I have a Koralia 4 in my 58g and it is plenty. Your tank is 1 foot longer, so I would think a pairt of them on a controller would be a good idea. They say the SEIO controller works well with them.

But everything depends on what you pkan to keep as far a s livestock. Mushrooms don't require as much flow as SPS corals do.

Old 12/19/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

We've been using a maxi jet 1200 modded. We have to be careful where we put some of our softie corals because it kicks out a pretty good current. But, it keeps the leftover food and stuff in the water stream and allows it to be taken care of by our skimmer that way. We like it and plan to do the same in our 75.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

GRRRR...if I have the closed loop, then I won't need any? That will cause enough current?
Old 12/19/2007, 01:05 PM
sweeeet!!

Current can come from many sources, including one we have't talked about. A surge bucket!! I plan to attach my SureFlows to a pair of MJ900's.

Old 12/19/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

But, if I have a closed loop, I won't need a "current maker" (for lack of better words)?
Old 12/19/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

One more question....Is is smart or dumb of me to try to get some corals started in my 20g before I get the 75g set up so they have time to establish themselves?
Old 12/19/2007, 01:14 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by dedex
But, if I have a closed loop, I won't need a "current maker" (for lack of better words)?
Correct. The closed loop is a way to make current, without the unsightly view of power heads in your tank. Some people don't like it because the CL pump is usually a larger, less energy efficient model. I say who cares!!

Old 12/19/2007, 01:15 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by dedex
One more question....Is is smart or dumb of me to try to get some corals started in my 20g before I get the 75g set up so they have time to establish themselves?
Is your 20g ready for corals?? Are the water params good?? Are the zoas doing good or still closed up?? From what I understand, your 20g isn't ready for much of anything but mushrooms and maybe some leathers.

Old 12/19/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Well, I am thinking corals after the RO/DI is installed, and before the 75g is setup...the candycane is doing great, so are the mushrooms, and the kenya trees...zoos are still being shy... I figure that once I get great water, my params should be in check...
Old 12/19/2007, 01:27 PM
sweeeet!!

What are you using for lights?? Zoas need better lighting than Kenya Tree for example.

Oh and, your 75g is going to take a few weeks to get just the plumbing and equipment purchased. Even if you use water from your 20g to jump start it, you may still have to cure your live rock, unless you purchase all cured live rock, which can be more $$$. This is where you should add another tank to that system so as to "brew" more water for the upcoming 75g tank. Incorporate that 45g weird tank you have into this system.

BTW, the kids love that blanket!! Thanks a bunch. Elijah and Caroline swipe it from Jillian and snuggle underneath it when getting ready for bed!!