Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/30/2007, 10:36 PM
Island Jumper

Show Your Unusual Colored BTA

Was curious to see if anyone has some unusual colored BTA's.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 07/30/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

i used to have a bta that was half green and had the other half's bulbs be pastel pink. it's unfortunate it got killed by a burning rio pump =(
Old 07/31/2007, 08:31 AM
Island Jumper

Half green and pink...that sounds pretty sweet! Im trying to get a good pic of mine - green with bright purple/blue tips. Im just wondering if there are cool morphs of them or not.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the personal experiences of Fijiblue. They are in no way intended as the only solution for your tank. Side effects may include upset stomach and diarrhea. Call your doctor if you experience excitement lasting more than 4 hours.
Old 07/31/2007, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Mine is kind of different from most I think:

Old 07/31/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

wow I love that green one!!!
Old 07/31/2007, 03:24 PM
Island Jumper

Looks beautiful b.branscombe. Let me know when it splits...I'd def. be interested .

Here is mine:
Old 07/31/2007, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fijiblue
Looks beautiful b.branscombe. Let me know when it splits...I'd def. be interested .
It already has.

I'll let you fill out the paperwork to ship it across the border though.
Old 07/31/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by b.branscombe
It already has.

I'll let you fill out the paperwork to ship it across the border though.
Whoa I'm in Ontario!!! (Toronto)

If you're serious about it let me know!!! I'd love to get something like that!

I sent you a private message

Last edited by GuOD; 07/31/2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07/31/2007, 04:32 PM
Island Jumper

Why do you need to fill out paperwork to ship some books
Old 07/31/2007, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Why do you need to fill out paperwork to ship some books
Hah. Definitely not chancing that one.
Old 07/31/2007, 04:49 PM
Island Jumper

Im just playing You actually don't need to do anything to ship to the States because it is from you. If it was from another country coming through Canada, then we would have issues. Beautiful anemone none the less.
Old 07/31/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Here is mine:

that yellow one in the back is impressive
Old 07/31/2007, 05:22 PM
Island Jumper

Thanks Casshern. Still a small guy, but hopefully will grow fast with the squid and clam diet.
Old 07/31/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

b.branscombe, that is an awesome bta. Not only the tri-colored tentacles but that deep red base makes it even more amazing.

Here are a few of mine that are in my gallery: (I have to describe the colors because they never photograph right)
This is my new copper colored one w/greenish tips. Also has a magenta base. A little bigger than a golf ball.

When deflated it is red w/yellow tips. Inflated it all runs together as "cheetos" orange

Green w/yellow tips

Purple-ish w/green tips, purple base.

Green w/pink tips

Last edited by phender; 07/31/2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07/31/2007, 08:21 PM
Island Jumper

Very nice phender!
Old 07/31/2007, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Phender, you seem to have a bunch of BTAs that are obviously not clones. Are they all in the same tank? I am wondering whether or not BTAs from different mother colonies can touch each other without stinging, as I would love to have a multi-colored BTA island in the new tank I am designing.
Old 07/31/2007, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phender
b.branscombe, that is an awesome bta. Not only the tri-colored tentacles but that deep red base makes it even more amazing.
I think the tri-color tentacles are going to be a thing of the past at some point unfortunately, although the deep red base looks like it is here to stay. The pics are a couple months old because both the mother and the clone moved to areas that make it harder to take decent pictures. Here are updated pics I took tonight, and one of when I first got it, which I think is where the white areas come from (he was quite bleached). The clown is just over an inch long for a size comparison.

Mother:

Clone:

6 months ago:
Old 07/31/2007, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

That one looks like an h magnifica to me. they need lots of light, lots of flow and lots of food. very hard to keep maybe thats why you are having problems keeping it?... just my opinion though.
<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><
Old 07/31/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by b.branscombe
Phender, you seem to have a bunch of BTAs that are obviously not clones. Are they all in the same tank? I am wondering whether or not BTAs from different mother colonies can touch each other without stinging, as I would love to have a multi-colored BTA island in the new tank I am designing.
The last two anemones (green tip and pink tip) lived together, touching for 3-4 years. The green tipped one split and all three did just fine together.
I have since sold those 3 and the same tank now houses the big orange bta, the small copper one and as of today I move the green w/yellow tipped one in there from the tank that it had been in for about 4 months. The orange and the copper touch and do fine. We will see how the green one fits in. I'm not anticipating any problems.

p.s. You guys be nice to A&CBowman

Last edited by phender; 07/31/2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07/31/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

At my LFS he has 5-6 different anemones all touching and perfectly fine..

diff kinds of BTAs, rock/flower anemones
Old 07/31/2007, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by a&cbowman
That one looks like an h magnifica to me. they need lots of light, lots of flow and lots of food. very hard to keep maybe thats why you are having problems keeping it?... just my opinion though.
Who said I was having problems keeping it?

I really doubt it is an H. Magnifica, although it does have a similar coloration doesn't it? I don't think one could have survived in my tank, as this was my first salt tank and it was added only 3 months in. This picture I found of H. Magnifica on the internet does look a fair bit like mine, and mine sometimes also show the exact same coloring and texture on their foot, so I see why you could have thought it was one. Who knows? Maybe I've been keeping the most difficult anemone all this time and never knew it?

Last edited by b.branscombe; 07/31/2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08/01/2007, 08:46 AM
Island Jumper

Do mags split in captivity, though? I don't think people are able to keep them long enough to find out
Old 08/01/2007, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Do mags split in captivity, though? I don't think people are able to keep them long enough to find out
From the anemone FAQ at the top of the page:

At least two species of clown anemone (E. Quadricolor and H. Magnifica) have been known to split in captivity.

The plot thickens. We need an anemone expert or something in here I think to settle this.
Old 08/01/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

the column of h. magnifica has longitudinal rows of translucent verrucae which are the same colour as the column or slightly lighter or darker.
e. quadricolor lacks verrucae
i don't see verrucae in your pics, it's is a bta.
Old 08/01/2007, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

So the verrucae are the light spots seen in this picture of a h. magnifica?

Yeah, I've never seen those. Thanks for your help.