Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/28/2007, 10:03 AM
green Diplo bluemouths

Ok, maybe i missed it but you took all the acgros out to quarentine tanks and put all zoox and lps somewhere else for a short bit. What did you do with the display tank. Did you treat that with anything? And you put the lps back shortly after all the acgros went out so would they live on the lps. Just wondering if staved for food will they look for something else and live on. They look great. My fingers are crossed for ya.
Old 01/28/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Wow serious dedication. Congrats! At least now your SPS have more room to grow.

Matt.
Old 01/28/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

no, i was planning an in tank treatment with fluke tabs, so i removed all zoas and lps in case the display crashed while treating. then i found that the fluke tabs didnt actually kill the flatworms, so an in tank treatment wouldnt work. i then took all of the acros out and put them in quaranteen for the 25 days of treatment. while they were out of the display, i redid my rockwork and put the lps and zoas back in. without acros, the flatworms starve, so it was ok to have the lps and zoas in the tank.

tank build thread linked to the little red house.

new tank here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1276784
Old 01/28/2007, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to read about the losses, I wish I would have read this thread before you actually started the treatment, I would have liked to share with you some of my own experiences with both treatments.

You are absolutely right on the money, fluke tabs alone will not kill the AEFW, it does however do a good job at stunning them and making them fall off the coral with the aid of a power head, this same power head is the one that kills them, I have done many different test on flatworms, the most interesting observation is how fragile their body structure really is, a slight pressure with your finger and they disintegrate, that's why I believe that the initial experiments done with the fluke tabs people reported that they will die and disappear when they weren't really dying but instead being caught on the PH propellers and shredded to pieces.

Others like me noticed that the FW were not dying, but, I was not using the power heads cause I was curious to see the critters die, when I did test with a power head I couldn't even find traces of the critters.

IME you will continue to get more casualties of the survivor corals due to zooxanthellae dying of after levamisol treatment, they will first loose the brown color but still be alive and then slowly perish, hopefully some coral will be more resilient to this or will recuperate their host algae quicker.

One thing is for sure, fluke tabs does not kill the zooxanthellae, levamisole does.

In the meantime we can just continue to try different things until we find a safe cure, I commend you and thank you for your efforts and sharing of your experiences.
Old 01/28/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the input rogger, but i hope some of what you said is not gonna happen actually, very few of the corals turned totally brown, most retained traces of their normal color. those that turned completely brown died during or shortly after treatment. the others have really begun to color again, and are even showing growth along with great polyp extension again.

new tank here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1276784
Old 01/29/2007, 01:10 AM
Premium Member

I am happy to hear that, I will continue to check your post let us know any other observations
Old 01/31/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

two weeks since putting everything back in - only a couple of losses since the last update.

full tank

left end

middle

right end

Old 01/31/2007, 09:09 PM
TRC Leader

Congrats on your battle. The tank looks great and ready to sprout tons of new growth!
Old 03/29/2007, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Any more updates? Have you had anymore losses?
Old 03/29/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

lost a couple of other small pieces, but the tank is doing great now. i bought a friend's sps system for his corals and combined his best stuff with the best of what i had left, and here is the tank about two weeks ago

i have not seen any evidence of flatworms returning, but i am a bit paranoid and trying to be proactive, so on the two corals that didnt look quite right at the bottom, i removed them and dipped them to make sure. i will probably continue to do that for a few months.

anyway, here are some pics

front

back

side shot

camera hog (that is why his name is hog)

Old 03/29/2007, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

Well you definately have an amazing system. I hope you got rid of the worms for good. After reading this thread and many others I think I will be setting up a QT for future additions. I would hate to go through what you had to.

I've been through red bugs twice and that was a pain. It just seems weird that all of a sudden these Acropora eaters/killers showed up in the past few years. Why haven't they always been an issue? Or maybe they have always been around but noone noticed them.
Old 03/29/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

i think that may be it. many more people are keeping acros now and there has been a huge boom in the maricultured acros - which seems to be a large factor in the spread of these pests. i know i now dip everything - no matter whose tank it comes from.

Old 08/28/2007, 09:59 PM
Feed Your Obsession

Hobo, do you still remain AEFW free?

Any updates since its been months?
Old 08/28/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

i have had some corals that looked a bit suspicious, but have found no flatworms or eggs on them when i removed them and dipped. i dip everything coming in, so i am starting to be a little less paranoid now.

Old 09/18/2007, 07:52 AM
Sps Junkie

Not to throw this off topic, but I wanted to try fluke tabs to kill off my xenia, but have zoo's and softies and removing them isn't an option as they are all over my LR....Arggg.. I hear that fluke tabs will xenia on the spot....

What to do
Old 09/18/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

wish i knew - no xenia in my system.

Old 09/18/2007, 07:57 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by spankey
Not to throw this off topic, but I wanted to try fluke tabs to kill off my xenia, but have zoo's and softies and removing them isn't an option as they are all over my LR....Arggg.. I hear that fluke tabs will xenia on the spot....

What to do
true that spankey- no worries about zoos.

Hobo thx for the input and thx 4 sharing your experiences.
Old 09/18/2007, 08:06 PM
Sps Junkie

REALLY! Then maybe this might be my saving grace to wipe this xenia out of my system!??????
Old 09/18/2007, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

Hobogato- What is your dip procedure when introducing new corals?
Old 09/18/2007, 08:13 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by spankey
REALLY! Then maybe this might be my saving grace to wipe this xenia out of my system!??????
100 % sure- dip your next additions and don't rinse prior to placing them on your tank,
Old 09/18/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

i now use fluke tabs (1 pill per gallon) and leave them in for 10 min, followed by shaking hell out of the coral in the dip to knock off any stubborn ones. i also cut all unnecessary base material off and inspect for eggs.

Old 09/18/2007, 10:43 PM
Wife and dog.

Hobo- What do you do for incoming acros? Just 1 tab per gallon? Did you stop using Tropic Marin Pro coral cure? Would you recommend any other treatment besides the fluke tabs?

Always accepting frags!!
Old 09/19/2007, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

never used tmpcc. i was using levamisole, but the fluke tabs work just as well as a dip and are not as hard on the acros.

Old 09/19/2007, 10:57 AM
Wife and dog.

So am I to assume your process of newly admitted/acquired corals is fluke tabs only? Then do you place them in the display? I am new to the SPS thing and want to get a good system. Do you also use interceptor for pre treating red bugs? If so do you do it at the same time as the fluke tabs?

Thanks again, Chris

Always accepting frags!!
Old 09/19/2007, 10:58 AM
Wife and dog.

PS where do you buy Fluke Tabs?

Always accepting frags!!