Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2006, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

Question I'm getting my PADI certification

I will be completing my PADI certification in January and I'm looking forward to getting some dives under my belt.

I'm starting to look for fins, boots and mask... but there are so many choices... My local shop recomended Aqua Lung fins and the Deep See Outlook mask. I also browsed Leisurepro, scubatoys and crazyscuba. I liked the TUSA visualator mask (well at least what it says about it) and the Aeris Velocity Open Heel Fins show up as "Tester's Choice" and "Best Buy"

Would love to hear from all of you experts out there, what do you reccomend?

TIA
RickyB
Old 12/09/2006, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

definatly dont buy a mask before trying it on. all masks fit completely different and you dont want to buy a leaker. check out www.scubadiving.com for some good product ratings
Old 12/11/2006, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Thank you.
Old 12/19/2006, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Doesnt really matter the brand of the mask just get one that seals. For the fins and boots its really up to you. If you like the split kind cool if not then cool too. I like my quatros I think that is what I'm diving with.
Old 12/21/2006, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

There is a forum at www.scubaboard.com that may be helpful. It is pretty active so all the information may be overwhelming for you at the same time. I say that because it was helpful AND overwhelming for me when I picked out a full-face mask.
Old 12/21/2006, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Thank you both. My class starts on Jan 19th, so I have some time for research. I tried the Deep See Outlook mask at my local shop and fit comforatably, but I still would like to check it underwater

Thank you again.
Old 12/21/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Rickyb, Did you post about this in the cmas foum? When are you doing your open water and where? Hopefully in FLA. I did mt OW at Haigh in March, it was COLD. If you are looking for gear shoot me a pm, there is a good guy locally. Maybe this summer some cmas members may do a local dive together.
Old 12/21/2006, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

Sending pm, thx
Old 01/10/2007, 01:09 PM
I think I love my tank

I love my Scubapro split fins. You should at least check them out before buying anything else. Scubapro makes great boots as well.
Ditto don't buy your mask on line. you will definitely want to try it on before hand.