Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/30/2006, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Reef themed nursery

My wife and I are expecting a son in Novemeber and we have decided to do a reef theme for his nursery. It took NO arm twisting from my part to convince my wife. She thought it would be pretty cool. What I need are some suggestions from everyone.
So far we are going to paint the walls an ocean theme and paint reef life around. I also want to get some pictures of marine life and switch them out from time to time.
Oh and the center piece: A small aquarium "so he has something to look at before bed"
Don't worry my daughter will get one too so she won't feel left out.
Thanks in advance.

I asked my 3 year old daughter who wore man panties and she replied, "Superman!" Think about it.
Old 08/30/2006, 09:21 AM
i'm here for you two

well don't know what to suggest but your ideas sound cool,

zack's had an aquarium in his bedroom since before he was born....he loves his fish tanks, along with any other living animal, didn't help that he was born into a zoo lol

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 08/30/2006, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

CONGRATULATIONS!

My daughter loves all animals but mostly dolphins. She has a 10g FW tank in her room (that I should clean today). She has white walls with a dolphin border and the matching comforter and sheets. Light blue rug.

I did a latch hook rug with dolphins on it for her wall. We've also done 8 or 10 different sealife jigsaw puzzles that I framed. They are fun to do and cheap decorations.

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 08/30/2006, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

You could use a lamp and cut out shapes like fish or circles (for bubbles) from the shade so it reflects onto the walls for an added touch or use as a night lite.
Old 08/30/2006, 10:24 AM
Moved In

I know one of the guys at AL did this, it looked really awesome. Maybe he'll post and show pics.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 08/30/2006, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

sandy colored rug and paint the cealing blue with fish and such painted on it and hanging from it mobile style.....babies spend lots of time on their backs If you live nere a beach resort or know someone who does you can get "ocean" theamed items this time of year at a discount.
Old 08/30/2006, 05:06 PM
Touch me...Love me

Here are some pics of a local reef'ers nursery......

I think the it looks pretty sweet......maybe it will give you some ideas

SBC

it'll make a turd - Minuteman

This thread is just about to be closed - Anemone
Old 08/30/2006, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

That's absolutely gorgeous. Nothing I could ever do!

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 08/30/2006, 05:32 PM
Team RC Member

Get some really good 'theme' wall paper and a pair of scissors. Paint your walls an even ocean blue, your ceiling green. Cut out the sea creatures and paste them to the wall. Wallpaper isn't hard to hang if you let it soak well before you put it on and don't try to change its position. If it starts to come off, use a hard wooden roller to squeeze the moisture out, and it will stick.

If you want to get really clever, hit up the lower part of the blue wall in clumps with a large natural sponge dipped in a darker blue, or a blue mixed with green, which will create an illusion of distant shadowy rocks.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 08/30/2006, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Wow that nursery is incredible. I would move into it and make my son live in my room. I can do normal painting but my wife would have to do all of the artwork. I could cut out the wall paper though as long as I have safety scissors. My mother in law sews and smocks so she could do the fabrics and curtains. My wife will flip though. But now she is worried that we have to do something to the daughter's room too. Oh I love when things add up at home. Thanks everyone and keep adding suggestions.

I asked my 3 year old daughter who wore man panties and she replied, "Superman!" Think about it.
Old 08/30/2006, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

that nursury is cool! i would take insulating foam spray and make big foam rocks in the corners of the room (2'x2'x3'), spray paint them purple like live rock, and glue thoes fake rubber coral aquarium decorations on them...
Old 08/30/2006, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

I am a fan of the 'Dolphin' mural from LTD...pricey, but looks neat!
http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/c...06-2WML&Page=1

Cowboy--Was that done by a local artist or did the homeowner do it? It's amazing!!!
Old 08/31/2006, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

I cannot get over the painted nursery. If we were going to live in this house for a long period of time (such as 10 years) I would do that but depending on where I get a real job after I graduate I would be very depressed over leaving the wall. Heck, I would cut them out and take them with me.
Avshockey: Thanks. That might be an alternative to painting. Yes it is alittle pricey but would be cheaper than all of the supplies for all the different colors.

Old 08/31/2006, 08:22 AM
Moved In

Wow, that nursery is beautiful. Where's Nemo, she might have to do her livingroom like that.

Old 09/01/2006, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

Look for some finding nemo decor, home depot usually has it. You could mix it in with the other stuff. That movie is one of the few that my daughter has stuck with for a long period of time. Her enjoyment of the movie inspired us to get a tank running again.
(of course I suggested a 10g goldfish tank, and my husband took that as a lets get a 65g reef going, but I LOVE having a tank set up again)

Congratualtions!
Old 09/01/2006, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

I happened to notice last time I was in walmart that they have a whole reef-themed bathroom set - shower curtain, waste basket, accessories and...a reef wall border for the walls. You might be able to get some cute reef-themed accessories there.

Good luck!!!!
Old 09/01/2006, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

This was an idea I suggested with my wife and got a quick no... I think it's a great idea as then the little one can grow up surrounded by fish and the corals and will probably take a bigger interest in the actual reef.

You are lucky!!

James
Old 09/01/2006, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

I showed my wife the above pictures and sad to say she does not want to tackle such a huge painting job. But I think we are still going to do some type of fish/reef theme. The walls will be ocean blue, and maybe some type of wall paper boarder. I have plenty of sea shells and other marine stuff to decorate the room. There was even a fish light at Lowes I saw last night but the light was coming out of the fish's mouth so not sure how safe it would be.
We are trying to go with a less crowded room too, only a cradle, crib and a tall dresser all in cherry so it should be a nice contrast to the ocean.
And I still get to start another tank (I think).
My 2 yo always "helps" me feed the fish and even holds the hose during water changes. Most goes into the bucket.

Old 09/01/2006, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

You might even be able to find some nicer decals instead of painting individual fish or corals.

Good luck and post pics!

James
Old 09/01/2006, 04:47 PM
Moved On

Oh OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-HO
I have to have that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is that painted or wallpaper? If it is wallpaper I am off to get some for my 125g tank room. Awsome.
Old 09/01/2006, 04:48 PM
Moved On

Cowboy, here is my guest bathroom.
Maybe some of these will work in your room also.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=901348
Old 09/01/2006, 04:49 PM
Moved On

Wrong thread
Old 09/01/2006, 04:52 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by finding nemo
Wrong thread
I saw that!!! It's the age right?

Old 09/01/2006, 04:54 PM
Moved On

") yea
Old 09/01/2006, 05:28 PM
Team RC Member

A neat trick I used once with a mural in a 10x10 claustrophobic bedroom. I got a linear mural [this one was a hot spring and stream in a winter landscape, the stream running along the wall] and I mirrored the adjacent 3 feet of the other two walls. The stream went on to infinity. It was a real eye-trick, and made a cubby of a room into a really big one. The trick is to get a mural that is pretty much without a big splashy center, a mural where everything in it just looks pretty much like other things in it. To get the effect, hold a mirror up at a 45 degee angle to various pictures at either end, and see how certain ones will multiply infinitely. You definitely need expertise or help to get a solid piece of floor to ceiling mirror safely mounted.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.