Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Northwest Ohio Reef Association (NORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/11/2006, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Lighting system needed ASAP

Hello All,

I've been around for a while, just never posted much. I enjoyed sitting back and listening to what all everyone had to say.

I've got a dilema on my hands. I am either going to be forced to sell off all my corals, or find someone who has bulbs or a lighting system for cheap or donation.

I currently have a 4 46.5in VHO system on my 75 gallon tank, which the bulbs are at LEAST 2 years old. They worked great for me for a while, and now its taking its toll.

I've got several things going that I can do, but none of them are complete. I will need 4 vho bulbs, or mogul bases with mogul bulbs, or a complete setup. I have about 8-175watt MH ballasts, all of which have MED bases(long story,was told when bought on ebay several months back that they were mogul, not MED)
I've also got a Bluewave 250watt HQI Metal Halide ballast, with no sockets or wiring.

My dilema is that I was laid off work back in May and am unable to afford the new lighting for the aquarium, and I do not know when I will be able to do so. I have already lost my clam, and my frogspawn, but do not want to lose anything else. If anyone would be willing to trade for any of the above items for any type of system I can use, I would gladly appriciate it. Or if you have some old VHO bulbs that are NOT 2 years old that may work, I might be interested.

-Kevin
Old 07/12/2006, 10:26 AM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Kevin I have no answers for your lights but if you do not have a ton of corals then you are more then welcome to put them in one of my tanks until you can get the lights you need. If all your looking for is VHO's then I would think you could get them pretty cheap off of ebay.
Old 07/12/2006, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Dubbin, I thought the same thing. I have not been able to find 46.5in VHO bulbs on ebay. The only ones that I seem to come across are 48in, and in order to use those I would have to modify my canopy some how. Thanks for your help everyone, however I may have resolved my problem. I decided to put the extra stuff on ebay, along with my car, in hopes I can get some money to pay for new lights.

I think I failed to mention in my last post that I am married, have a step son, and also own a house.

I will keep that offer in thoughts Dubbin, if I cannot find something else soon.
Old 07/12/2006, 11:33 AM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Kevin check the PM I just sent you.
Old 07/20/2006, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for everyones help. eBay is a wonderful place, LMAO! J/k

Anyway I sold my car, along with a few various other things and so I am now able to purchase the lighting system I needed.