Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/07/2006, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone ever used this kind of overflow?

I am planning on buying a 125 acrylic tank from the LFS to upgrade from my 75 AGA, I am using a LifeReef HOB overflow on it, but I want to order the 125 with corner overflows, the owner of the LFS said instead of corner OF it was better to drill the back of the tank and install 3 or 4 - 1 1/4 bulkheads with strainers @ the water line, because they won't take up space, are quieter and almost invisible when compared to bottom plumbed corner overflows, but I am not sure due to the fact that I haven't seen to many other people do this, I noticed all his tanks are set up this way and seem to work good, any advice or input on this would be great

Thank you
Chris
Old 05/07/2006, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

i know people out there use this design, and it works just fine. the only thing you need to be careful of is making sure you have some sort of device (aka the strainer) to prevent clogging of the drain outlet.
Old 05/07/2006, 11:12 PM
TRC Leader

As long as the strainers are pulling in surface water and not water a few inches below the surface. The idea of pulling surface water only is because this is where the proteins collect (remember the scum that collects on the surface if your overflow isn't working?)

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 05/08/2006, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

I think it should have intakes at the surface and at mid level. That way it collects more of the floating debris in the water column. Once I converted from a mechanical filter to a skimmer, I really missed how the mech. filter pulled out the junk.

teo241- LMAO, More cowbell! I cant hear it! That had to be one of the funniest skits!
Old 05/08/2006, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Re: Has anyone ever used this kind of overflow?

Quote:
Originally posted by spence15610
I am planning on buying a 125 acrylic tank from the LFS to upgrade from my 75 AGA, I am using a LifeReef HOB overflow on it, but I want to order the 125 with corner overflows, the owner of the LFS said instead of corner OF it was better to drill the back of the tank and install 3 or 4 - 1 1/4 bulkheads with strainers @ the water line, because they won't take up space, are quieter and almost invisible when compared to bottom plumbed corner overflows, but I am not sure due to the fact that I haven't seen to many other people do this, I noticed all his tanks are set up this way and seem to work good, any advice or input on this would be great

Thank you
Chris
That's how I and many people in my club have their overflows. Works fine.
Old 05/08/2006, 12:37 PM
Brace yourself!

Do a search for Calfo overflows (look in Anthony Calfo's forum, good thread there). It's how I had my new tank built. Very similar to what you're describing - there's a linear overflow box in front of the bulkheads to skim the surface of the water, removing dissolved organics.
Old 05/08/2006, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for the advice everyone.