Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/21/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Experience with Ultra Lith by fauna marin??

Hi there.

This was something i was thinking of trying. Any feedback on this product?

Thanks
Lisa
Old 07/21/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

I used....waste of time and money

Regards
Old 07/22/2007, 10:03 AM
I LIVE IN A PINEAPPLE....

I tried it.....almost killed all my SPS. I was dosing a quarter of what was recommended. I got this brown like jelly growing on the corals. Only thing that it did good for me was make the water really clear.

WOT & $$$

Good luck if you try it.
GEO 6x18 Calcium Reactor
GEO Kalk Reactor
Aquactinics 2x250 12k Reeflux w/ 216 watts Blue+ T5's
210 lbs. Gulf-Keys-Fiji LR
50 lbs. LS
Old 07/22/2007, 10:37 AM
The FM UL Sys. guy

I have no complaints for this system. If you do everything slow to begin with and meet the water parameter requirements then you should not have a problem. The result is amazing PE, growth and coloration.
I would take some pics, but the camera is broken...

Is on the road to recovery! Everything looks nice though ;)
Old 07/22/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Im using it and I have no complaints. I have great PE and the color is staring to show. I have only been using it for about 2 months. The key is to start slow.
good luck.
Old 07/22/2007, 02:33 PM
Nothing to put here

I went too fast and lost some corals. Be careful.
Old 07/23/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Lisa-

I had some issues; mostly a major outbreak of Hair algae after I started. I'm pretty religious about water changes, monitoring, and testing; I was down to dosing virtually nothing, and couldn't get it under control.

I've discontinued the use of the UltraLith, and my colors, corals, and tank have all gone back to "Normal".

I've also tried PolypLabs products, and Prodibio. I find them both cheaper, and equally effective, with none of the drawbacks of the FM products.

If you want more info; check out the "Started Ultralith" thread in the Aquarium Obsessed Forum; some people have had great results, I just wasn't one of 'em.

-Andy/Oldimpala
Old 07/27/2007, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

I have has good success with it.

James
Old 07/27/2007, 07:25 AM
Dendrophyllia Arbuseula

I used it, but, found the results not warranting the price. Since stopping using it, I've found my corals to look as good, if not better. Also, was a P.I.A. to remember to dose all the time; and if you went away, no one's there to dose, etc, etc.. Like I said, more hassle than it was worth, IMO, of course.
Old 07/27/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

I see great purpose in a bacterioplankton system if you are just that kind of person and know its merits, however, why did most of you start using it? From what I can see and gather most people that start it do so because they fail the "other" way and think it is going to do something spectacular when really it is the hobbyist not the system that deserves credit...for the good or the bad.
Old 07/27/2007, 12:25 PM
g l a s s b o x

well said snaps

if you cant get it right without ultralith, odds are you wont get it right with.

dark lord coral uses it on their systems...

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 07/27/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

What I heard was that Fauna Marine and Zeo were the same company at one point in time. Fauna Marine broke off and kept the same recipe while Zeo expanded and fine tuned their product. I was recommended the Fauna Marine because it's a more forgiving system than Zeo. I've held their zeolites side by side and the rock is identical. I don't have experiance with either as I'm still researching whether or not I want to try this product out.
Old 07/27/2007, 01:16 PM
g l a s s b o x

and who did you hear that from?

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 07/27/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

An LFS owner that carries both products and has tried them both. He recommended I do not try the system (Zeo or Fauna..and an LFS owner turning away a sale = legit man in my books) as my tank is already established and if I do end up deciding to use the system to cut the doses in quarters. I think I'm going to end up using the system anyways but I'm still prepping my tank for it...i.e. get my Alk down and ween my system off GFO. He said he's crashed his home tank on it but then was able to use it succesfully after he recovered. He uses the Fauna Marine on the stores tanks because it allows more room for error. He told me to check the RC forums, the Zeo forum, and read up on the Aquarium Obsessed site but to be wary of the Zeo forum as I'll hear a ton of success stories but it will be biased. I've got in contact with somebody on the Zeo forum that runs it on a 29, I run a 24. So I have a buddy to help me
Old 07/27/2007, 02:00 PM
g l a s s b o x

as far as i know thomas an claude have not collaborated on work together...lfs guy seems nice, but err...nevermind

both systems work, if they fail it's due to user error. you must go by the book, anything different and it can cause trouble.

the success stories are on zeovit's forums, because those are the people that research and seek advice on their dosing to make them successful. just like active people on RC, are generally more educated and successful with basic marine systems.

Old 07/27/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Yeah most def some people just like to talk but then again it could be true. Just like Patron tequila is not the Patron of 10 years ago...you can still get the original Patron but its called Siete Leguas. Most people don't know the Patron they're drinking taste nothing like the real Patron. Maybe the original Zeo is the Fauna Marin recipe...whatever business is crazy.

More of what I've read is to not go by the book but to reduce dosage and ease into it, then watch your corals behavior. A lot of the threads on zeo state not to follow the dosage instructions but to do what they recommend on the forum after you've filled out their questionnaire. Although this could be for the people that are trying the systems to "fix" instead of enhance their already good systems. For example...

"6)You can dose Pohl's CS at the rate of 1ml per 75 gallons (I realize this is different than label recommendation) and see how it works for your reef. Watch for lightening of tips on your SPS for the first few weeks as your water will clear significantly and photoburn may occur. Be prepared to raise your lights (preferred) or shorten your photoperiod and reacclimate your corals."

Who knew you could burn your corals because your water clarity kicked up a notch!! lol

It seems with these systems you really have to watch your corals and adjust your doses accordingly. A cause & effect dosage system basically. But some of the things are set in stone, like the Alk needs to be 6-8 and heavy skimming. I'm still not ready for it, I keep reading and reading and reading. I now understand when I first presented my question here why I was told research research research before I jumped into it. It's an experienced aquarist product.
Old 07/27/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I see great purpose in a bacterioplankton system if you are just that kind of person and know its merits, however, why did most of you start using it? From what I can see and gather most people that start it do so because they fail the "other" way and think it is going to do something spectacular when really it is the hobbyist not the system that deserves credit...for the good or the bad.
Well.. I started using it because of seeing some absolutely stunning Zeo tanks out there... My tank is nice; but not earth shattering like some of the uber-bright tanks.

I run a PO4 of about .04, and an NO3 consistnetly under 5ppm, I figured if I can get that last little bit, and perhaps some coloration nutrients... You know....

And, instead, I ended up with a LOT of Hair Algae, and $120 poorer. Live and learn...

It took me about 4 weeks to get things back to "right"..

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it..

-Andy

PS: My tank looked good before, and after. The "Reefer" in question never changed, nor did the husbandry. Only 1 variable...
Old 07/27/2007, 04:33 PM
g l a s s b o x

follow the book, means listen to what aged salt and alexander tell you observation is everything, but it takes experience until you can venture into the "uncharted"...

Last edited by Flint&Eric; 07/27/2007 at 04:42 PM.