Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/20/2005, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Are these numbers right for this salt?

I recently made up a new batch (5 gal) of IO's Reef Crystals salt. The Ca measured 350, KH was 11.8, Ph was 8.2.

Does the Ca seem right? I thought it would be higher. Could my Salifert test kit be expired? I've had it for a year, but the exp dae is 2008. How can I confirm this test?

Thanks, Chris
Old 09/21/2005, 05:58 AM
Reef Chemist

Salt mixes may vary, and test kits may not always give precisely accurate results, either due to kit problems or operator error.

I've not seen anyone post values for Reef Crystals recently.

That said, it is not far off of what Craig Bingman found:

The Composition Of Several Synthetic Seawater Mixes
http://web.archive.org/web/200306081.../1/default.asp
Old 09/21/2005, 09:05 AM
Dirty Reefer

That's about what my IO comes out as. It is made by the same company and should be a little higher in Ca and Mg (per the company)
What is your SG and how measured?

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 09/21/2005, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

SG is 1.025 with a refractometer. Thanks for the replies. I would have thought the Ca would be higher, per the company's marketing.
Old 09/21/2005, 10:42 AM
Reef Chemist

With the salinity a tad below normal seawater (at your sg = 1.025), you should expect about 20 ppm less than if you had NSW salinity, but I agree that you still might expect to at least have 400 ppm based on the claims.
Old 09/21/2005, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

Not for nothing but I just got a bag of IO from petsmart this week, and the calicum was 400 with ro/di water using salifert.
Old 09/21/2005, 11:50 AM
Dirty Reefer

FWIW.

Might find this interesting. This is part of an e mail exchange between myself and Aquarium Systems about a year ago (guess I should clean out my files) I was questioning the levels of a 200 g bucket which were nowhere near these levels.

This is their response:

In order to know if the calcium and magnesium levels were low in your Instant Ocean sample I would need to know the specific gravity of the water you were testing. IO should yeild a solution that has 400mg/l Ca++ at 1.026spgr (35ppt sal) and 1340mg/l Mg++ at the same spgr. These are the same levels found in natural seawater which is 1.026spgr. Lower spgr water should have proportionately lower levels of Ca++ and Mg++ (and all other ions for that matter). Reef Crystals has calcium levels elevated about 10% above NSW so at 1.026 you should find ~440mg/l Ca++; magnesium is kept at NSW levels in RC so you should find the same Mg++ levels as IO.

Thank you,
XXXXXXXXX

Old 09/21/2005, 11:57 AM
Team RC Member

I mixed up a gallon of Reef Crystals last week, aerated over night and tested all parameters. At 1.023 the calcium came in at about 500. Could very well be your test kit.
Old 09/21/2005, 01:39 PM
Dirty Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Billybeau1
I mixed up a gallon of Reef Crystals last week, aerated over night and tested all parameters. At 1.023 the calcium came in at about 500. Could very well be your test kit.
Perhaps. Or yours

Old 09/21/2005, 02:19 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobster
Perhaps. Or yours
Yea I would have said that too he did say his kit was a year old. Reef Crystals are suppose to have more calcium then IO. Thats why I did the test. IO tested at about 400 when I did the same test a few months back. Ah the wonderful world of Chemistry.
Old 09/21/2005, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. Last night I made up 5 gal of Reef Crystals / Oceanic mix, and 5 gal of Tropic Marin. They have been aerating all day. I check the params later and report back.